windows 10 ltsb vs windows 7

Discussion in 'PC' started by plasticvibe, Nov 14, 2017.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Do you mean I'm going to make more money if I master or mix something in Windows 10 instead of Windows XP? :) uhmmmmmm [deep meditation, relishing the thought of money falling from the sky :rofl:]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Not fearmongering, just stating the facts, aka the obvious.
    Truer words never spoken. Installed LTSB (aka the least bloated/intrusive version of the current Win), works fine. No muss, no fuss, no jumping through hoops to run Windows 3.1 because a woke feller from the interweb said Win 10 is spying on sheeples (probably turning on my webcam in the middle of the night to ogle me, nakid:woot:, steal my bombass beatz & email me Bill's dick pix:wink:
    ???
    I mean hardware manufacturers (who wish to sell product, aka "make money") focus on drivers for the current, supported OS, due to it having the largest market share, aka "because more people use it." No conspiracies, no shady backroom deals, just common sense.
    That's what I do (anything new happen over the past couple of years? 2018 the year of desktop Linux? Worth visiting Distrowatch?)
    P.S. I'm not pushing win10, happily ran 8.1 until (from this thread)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. alex921

alex921 Producer

https://betanews.com/2018/02/01/netmarketshare-windows-10-some-way-behind-windows-7/
    https://betanews.com/2018/02/01/statcounter-windows-10-finally-overtakes-windows-7/

Not bad after all these years, as a free operating system, they finally beginning to catch up.

No, you really dont need updates if your offline, perfectly fine if you dont install them. You can go online with your pc aswel, as long as your own downloaded firewall is up to date, and your downloaded virus scanner. Thats all that matters.

Btw, I just installed the windows 7 genuine, posted in previous page. Someone in the comment section at that link mentioned about the USB 3.0 installation and nvme. Everything is working perfectly fine now.

For the runtime libraries I used a installer that installs them all. : http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/p..._at_once_with_visual_c_runtime_installer.html

This will be my last post in this topic, off to music making.

Peepz gonna hate me for this, if you want real stability for making music with software, get OS X.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I like OSX but the backwards compatibility, lesser efficiency [up to about 20% more CPU than W7 depending on the OSX version] and the availability of the software bothers me, so I gave up trying to transition to it. All of this is just corporate gunk, anyway.

I wouldn't install all the vc++ runtimes just like that. You might be wasting precious SSD space for nothing. Plugins take care of that themselves. I just make sure to get rid of the doubles with a lower version number. :wink:

Cheers! Enjoy making music! :)

5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

:no::yes::rofl:

6. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

thx for insight input sinewelle:mates:

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Windows 7 End of extended support is a big deal for many companies from legal/privacy/security point of view,
    on the other hand, let's remember support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014 and that time Windows 7 share rised less than 5%:
    http://infographic.statista.com/nor...rket_share_of_desktop_operating_systems_n.jpg

Windows 10 obviously isn't a future, take a good look at Microsoft roadmaps and documentation of UWP, Store and especially PWA (progressive web apps), a quick article for reference:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16987842/microsoft-progressive-web-apps-pwa-edge-windows-10

problem with Windows as a whole is that the very core is outdated as fck and there is no way to move it forward (backwards compatibility, resource allocation etc.., something like removing registry is simply not possible), so only way to roll forward is completely replace the NT platform, Microsoft appears to learn power of cloud and subscription-as-a-service systems, so future lies in multiplatform web/cloud dependant apps,

I'm planning to set up personal home cloud solution, as it appears to be best of both words, with something like decent Synology NAS, I can become OS-independant, so I will not be troubled by Microsoft, Apple and Google steps in the industry hopefully,

backward compatibility is something Microsoft is facing as well, it seems they will be cutting off Windows feature updates depending on cpu model lineups, and releasing hotfixes to degrade performance are obvious too,
    what bothers me is what software to use, I'm leaning strongly towards multiplatform stuff, for example Kontakt as a relatively independant platform seems promising, similarly Reaper adopting ARM support nowadays would be a big leap forward...

afterall, programs we use define our work, operating system is relatively unimportant unless it conflicts with our workflow :thumbsup:

8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Sure, because Win8 & Win8.1, and the fact that people are farsighted -- don't wait for for the day support ens to start updating:winker:
    That said, XP share didn't suddenly increase, so everything I said holds.
    In the future, mankind will defeat gravity and live in the stars.
    There's even talk of riderless horses.
    [​IMG]
    I'm concerned with more pedestrian problems of our immediate future -- understanding why audio hardware manufacturers focus on writing drivers for the current OS, Windows 10, as opposed to, say, Windows 3.1.

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Money for who MS?

10. KidPix

KidPix Producer

The custom the vc++ runtimes instalator mentioned by Alex921 is very good and takes
    very little space and may gives us less headaches...
    [​IMG]

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@KidPix Oh well, for normal users this VC++ installer is a perfect solution to resolve all the VC++ problems, I guess. It's easy and fast to use. It is fiddly to find all these installers at the MS website and download. :wink:

But generally plugins come with these and install them as necessary.

12. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

yep ,but some newr r2r releases have no redis17 or additional runtime 17....
    so i have my win7 default app archive for raising new os...i will put them in there...
    but yes
    has somebody a packet of these maybe ??such things they should be posted instead of repacks which get og upped next days anyway...

same as vst archive structure folders and such...there plenty of good posts which could made by peeps but they bla..im schweife ab..edit i schweife up...lol

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  13. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

but right just put them to archive for need ,no install of all at once...keep it clean...
    ahhh my new win7 fresh install..:like:...all black desktop....ahhh:wink:....i72600k 8gb ram,ssd,hdd

14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

same as they dont integrate plugin discription info into nfo long time now they dont integrate ++ runtime in newest releases...guess why...

also install instructions get less in r2r releases...

15. cemster

cemster Member

That is true but sometimes they mess up during the installation when they try to install them.

Well, they got tired I suppose... Metal fatigue is a bitch...

16. mcclaine

mcclaine Ultrasonic

I just bought a new PC, tried to install my old dear Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit from a DVD unit, and boom...it says is "a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"

What can i do?

EDIT:
    My new PC specs:

I7 7700
    MSI H110M Pro
    WD SSD 1tb
    32gb RAM DDR4 2400
    Focusrite Scarlett USB 2i4

I would be using internet in this too.

I really don't know what to do. I have this PC sitting in the floor for the last couple of days and i'm not sure if moving to Windows 10 would be a good choice. My old Windows 7 worked fine with all the soft i have, but i don't know if my new hardware will support it.

Any advice would be awesome.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  17. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Download a copy of WIN 10 LTSB ENTERPRISE N and give it a shot.

Then, install the freeware "DoNotSpy 10" and tweak the settings you want. e.g. disable defender, automatic updates, etc. :

https://pxc-coding.com/donotspy10/

You may want to add the media features back in e.g windows picture viewer, see thumbnails in explorer pane, see mp3 metadata in explorer pane, hook your cell phone to usb (LoL). In that case, download and install this. :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53356

Install "AIO Runtimes" for your flash, vb, dot net "all-in-one" installation needs (download link is hard to see on webpage) :

https://www.sereby.org/site/downloads/All in One Runtimes

I think that you'll enjoy Enterprise LTSB N. I was a Windows 7 fan before this. I have zero problems, no automatic updates, my PC performs better than it did with Win 7 or 8.1.

For your everyday PC utility apps, use portable freeware as much as possible and refrain from installing apps as much as possible, e.g. browser, compression, uninstaller prog, audio player, video player, etc., etc.

Keep it simple and don't over think it. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  18. mcclaine

mcclaine Ultrasonic

Thanks for your time and response, bud!

Just a few questions:

Yesterday i've downloaded this one: Windows 10 Enterprise X64 2016 LTSB en-US DEC 2017 {Gen2}
    Is that any good or the N is better? What are the differences?

Disable Defender? And what should i use for Antivirus? i will be downloading stuff in the net...!

You are giving me this advice because for extending the SSD durability or for another reason?

I have tons of software installed in Windows 7, and most of them i pretend to keep them in the new PC. Is that a no-no for the Win 10 LTSB?

Thanks again, very appreciated :)

19. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I'm not sure all of the differences. I opted for 'LTSB N' + add-on media pack. I do know 'LTSB N' does not have cortana, apps and some other bloat. 'LTSB' you'll have to "google" and find out all out the differences and make a decision, or just go with 'LTSB N' and be done with it. I'm sure 'LTSB' will be fine. (it might require a few more tweaks?)

This is up to you. If your 'audio' computer is used to pay bill, browse Amazon, and do online college course, etc... then keep it. Me, I optimize my system for only audio. My defender, firewall, and many other things are disabled (or, surgically removed)

No. It keeps the program you are using contained and executed from within one single folder, which means no registry entries, no context menu options, no idle CPU/RAM issues, no uninstall info necessary, no start-up entries, For instance, Adobe Reader. Great program, but it takes up a huge footprint - ALL THE TIME. Same with Microsoft Office. What pdf reader doesn't have a footprint? Any portable one, e.g. Foxit Reader (portable), PDFXchange Viewer (portable). I started using Google Chrome (portable) for opening PDF files and as my browser. When you close out of the portable program, it's as if it never existed.

Now, with VSTi, VST fx, DAW, I install these ........one at a time. :-/ (You could try these portable VST symlink packages that are floating around out there, but I've installed tens of thousands of plugins over the years, and I feel that 'installing' is the proper way to do it. imo)

These are just ways of keeping my system resources reigned in.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. mcclaine

mcclaine Ultrasonic

Thank you so much for your input, very appreciated!

My other concern is about security as an audioz / warez user. Is, in your opinion, one OS more dangerous to us, than other OS?

Thx