Windows 10 for Audio Production: testing an extremely WinReduced ISO

Discussion in 'Software' started by JudoLudo, Jul 13, 2016.

?

Is this work useful, in your opinion?

1. I love it!

18.2%
  2. Yes

72.7%
  3. No

9.1%
  4. Go flush yourself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

Hello AudioSex community! :bow: I've been working on a project, concerning the optimization of Windows 10 for Audio Production. It's not the same old guide in which you'll read about deleting page file, setting up the power saving options or diving into the register, but I wanted to start from before the installation, i.e. when Windows 10 is still an unlucky, nosy parker ISO file on our desktop. I'm always have been curious about how much I'd push myself into optimization of an Operative System (yes, it's a little bit maniacal, I know.) and when I knew of softwares like WinReducer and NTLite, I just gave them a try. And now I'm in. :guru: So, I'm writing this thread because I'd like to share my work with you, to create the most stripped down version of Windows 10, made by musicians, for the musician.

I'm using WinReducer because the free edition of NTLite is too limited, not allowing me to tweak or change important options.

So here we are: I'm putting here all the changes and tweaks made to the ISO (screenshots and written) and the configuration presets I used (so that you can download WinReducer EX100 and modify/adjust/apply all the changes you want and then create your ISO), building the basis for a great community collaboration work.

N.B.: if you think that Win10 shouldn't be used for Audio production, just ignore this thread; leave the space to comments concerning this stuff. I think the forum already has plenty of these little wars :mates:

---> Before starting, I wanted to be grateful with winterstorm2050, the creator of the software, and all the guys behind this amazing tool. Thank you! :bow:

So, let's begin.

The ISO that I used is this:
    it_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_6848335.iso
    SHA1: 6EC67484192C17C6FFF2C66981D2168634A5A64A

It's in Italian, I know, but I think you can modify the language easily. If you don't know where to download this ISO in YOUR language, PM me.

Here's my preset: I started from winterstorm2050's "extreme" preset, from which I then removed other things. To use this preset, you have to put the file into WinReducer folder > HOME > PRESETS and then LOAD it from the software.

Here are some details about the changes I made.
    upload_2016-7-13_2-49-8.png
    upload_2016-7-13_2-51-49.png
    I wrote them all because they would have been to many images to upload:

PRESETS
    - Automatic Removing Process ON
    - Optimize ISO Size ON
    - Use EXPERT Optimizations ON
    All the other options below these three, are set to OFF (unchecked).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    APPEARANCE
    - Activate Desktop Context Menu OFF
    - Activate Theme Support OFF
    - Activate Various Customizations OFF
    FEATURES
    - Remove All
    REMOVER

- ACCESSORIES: removed (checked) all, except for: "Open With", "System Reset Platform", "System Restore", "Time and Date".
    - CONTROL PANELS: I think this one can be customized subjectively, because everyone has different needs; here I removed

(checked) all, except for: "Device Manager (Files)", "Display", "Display (Files)", "Mouse", "Network and Sharing Center",

"Network and Sharing Center (Files)", "Personalization", "Personalization (Files)", "Power Options", "Power Options

(Files)", "Programs and Features", "Programs and Features (Files)", "System", "System (Files)", "Taskbar and Start Menu

(Files)", "User Accounts", "User Accounts (Files)".
    - DRIVERS: removed (checked) all.
    - FONTS: removed (checked) all.
    - KEYBOARDS: keep only your language. Here I removed (checked) all, except for "Italian".
    - LANGUAGES: again, keep only your language. Here I removed (checked) all, except for "Italian).
    - MODERN UI APPS: removed (checked) all.
    - MULTIMEDIA: removed (checked) all, except for "MIDI Support".
    - NETWORK: removed (checked) all.
    - THEMES: removed (checked) all.
    - TWEAKS: below the options I checked
    Context Menu - Add Take Ownership (with Pause)
    Context Menu - Enable Notepad to Open nfo files
    Context Menu - Include in Library (Hide)
    Context Menu - Remove Add to WMP list from audio files
    Context Menu - Remove Print link for .ini files
    Context Menu - Remove Print Link for .txt files
    Context Menu - Remove SendTo link
    Desktop - Hide Popup Help Tips
    Desktop - Save User Customized Settings
    Explorer - Command Bar - Remove Burn
    Explorer - Command Bar - Remove Inclued in Library
    Explorer - Command Bar - Remove Library Pane
    Explorer - Disable Recently Opened Programs List
    Explorer - Disable User Tracking

So with these info we can start working on this and write below, in comments, all the things that should be adjusted for a stable installation. I hope we'll be a big crew, so that we can create together something really well made. Here's the WinReducer official forum, in which you can find so many useful tips, such as the way to make a software (.exe) installing by itself after the Win installation (autoinstall), or the list of all the componenst that can be theorically removed.

A last thanks, again, to winterstorm 2050 and all the WinReducer's crew to have made this possible.:mates:

Let the games begin! :guru:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

(reserved for eventual updates :wink:)

4. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Good luck mate, seriously. This is a noble effort.

I've never had much luck with these custom Windows builds, though.

I've tried a bunch of them in the past but all of them suffered catastrophic bugs, sometimes after a week, sometimes after a few months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

good job. sounds interesting.

i was thinking though, before when we were chasing every single cpu-cycle 10 years ago this kind of stripped down modes were really needed for that reason

but today the cpus are so powerful i don't notice any difference making any "fine-tuning" of a windows system.

before we would have a separate system "just for music" because of performance
    today there is no difference if you install all you need in a pc and use it for multiple purposes like video editing, office etc.
    i just don't really notice ANY difference in performance power.

but, i will be curious still to know about the results of this project. it could end offering enough benefits. cheers

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  6. virusg

virusg Rock Star

count me in

7. panunggal

panunggal Newbie

Should try this when the time is come to reinstall my OS