window 7 random freezing

Discussion in 'PC' started by FellIVTheFake, Mar 21, 2015.

1. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

ok so i just built a computer i have all the updates at this point i run norton security daily, everything is ship shape. but i have random freezing going on. i can move my mouse but i cant click anything for 5 to 15 seconds sometimes longer and i have to start task manger then it works. ive tried hotfixes from windows and nothing has worked. the freezing can happend up to every three mins, extremely frustrating.
    Specs
    Windows 7 home prem. 64 service pack 1
    16gb ram
    intel i7 4770k @3.5ghz

3. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

even stranger i was just in my control panel and was looking at some stuff and opened up a sub panel with in everything froze the but control panel, i couldn't
    click anything not even the sub panel until i opened task manger

4. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

i hope this gets fixed for you man...i had a custom windows computer built too, and it was the worst experience. Sold it and in the end got a mac. I say keep giving it a try. If all the advice that will be given to you doesn't work, down the line consider a mac. No headaches here since. If you don't like macs, buy a premade windows computer. In my experience, custom built pc's can be glitchy sometimes, especially dealing with music. I know everyone's experience varies.

5. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Try uninstalling your Antivirus. They are such bloated hogs nowdays. I had same problem with Kaspersky and found it was always scanning. I set it up to not scan except at a certain time and day of the week. That helped but didn't cure the problem. My other machine goes into some sort of sleep mode (even though it is turned off) and takes a while to "come to" but is fine if I keep using it. This might be a Win7 Pro issue.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

In my experience most freezes are hardware issues, video card, or more likely a stick of RAM going bad.

7. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Could be your harddrive? i found on my old computer that sometimes it would freeze and if i ended up getting task manger open it would show my hardrive was at 100%, that or something stuffed up when installing you os so you could try a fresh install. I don't recommend getting rid of your anti virus as someone said above. I done that once and got my computer a nasty virus so will never do that again, however i do recommend you switch antivirus as Norton is a resource hog and if it is scanning all the time then it could put your harddrive up to 100%

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

could be a drivers related problem since it's a custom pc, try to disable/enable hardware and see if things go better. Also try do download drivers directly from official site instead of Windows Update :wink:

9. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Look at what processes are running and which is eating up memory or cpu. You might have to do some research to fing out what some of them are. You'll probably find your culpret. That is how I found Kaspersky was hosing mine with your same issue.

10. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

check out temperature of cpu

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Disassemble everything and assemble it again.

Check every bios setting.

than, if no luck, start by taking out the ram modules and try it with only 4 Gb ...swap all modules... switch the slots of Your graphic card, or whatever hardware You have...

It is very unlikely that someone can help You by writing on the forum... You have to try every possibility from the beginning... it could be anything... a bit of dirt on a contact, or a washer You forgot to put on the screw that holds the mobo in place... anything.

I don`t believe it is a software related issue.

Good luck!

12. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

(I Will tell you and Guarantee You Your Problem!) Format the HD And Do not put Norton Back on it, Norton is a Operating System itself, whats Happening is everything you do click open ect.. Norton is Scanning it
    Believe me Remove that piece of shit asap you'll thank me tomorrow i will Bet Money on it ! Hurry Good Luck
    :wink:

i am a it tech i do it for a living for a Major Cooperation No Bull Sitin here
    other then that ! Yes it would be the HD if it was hardware causing the problem

13. LunaX

LunaX Member

Remove Norton! Thats where I'd start..then probably re-assemble...and also make sure every stick of ram is of the same brand and value..on my PC, freezes were due to software..I uninstalled norton and got ESET smart security..its the best decision I ever took for security!!

14. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I switched to Kaspersky from ESET because I was having the same problem. Worked for about 6 months and same shit. All AV's suck the life out of a computer. Studio 5599 is right, start over from scratch on the Software side. It's the cheapest way to rule out or confirm a hardware issue. take note of how performance is after each install. First I would uninstall nortn and see if it runs better.

15. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Ram stick for sure
    Use SISOFT SANDRA and do a test

16. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Sounds exactly like my mac does but now it have worked for some times "knock on wood"

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Get rid of anything Norton or Symantec first and then see if it freezes. These guys make absolutely atrocious code. Never have anything from them on an audio computer especially. :snuffy:

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

If you think it is norton disable it and see if that stops the frezzeing.
    I would scan for malware?
    You can also check the memory like others have said.