WIN7, List of programs and plugins not working anymore

Discussion in 'PC' started by Nakki42, Apr 11, 2022.

1. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Not only at least some of the "Win10 only" programs will install and work on Win7, but as @Ad Heesive explained, some reluctant to install could be unlocked.
    On the sister site you can find several unlocked "Win10 only" Win7 repackages even if it's not stated.

In past I tested on Win7 some video editing tool requiring "Win10 only", it worked as far I could test it, with the only caveat that you had to kill the program to close it.

Other won't just work, every test is a bet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Softube kind of refuses to work on Windows 7, since you kind of depend on their Softube Central for installation and license management. Softube Central does not work properly on Windows 7 (it asks you to update, but then fails to do so and then the error message obstructs access to the setup options. You can still kind of use Softube using the individual installers (it worked for me last time I checked with their freebie Dirty Tape). I was just about to buy one of their plugins, but apparently they don't like to serve Windows 7 users as customers.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

It's an old story now isn't it. You're describing hassles from the Softube Central facility in the legit product.
    In contrast, I've enjoyed exploring R2R versions painlessly on W7 and I've never even seen Softube Central - I didn't even know it existed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

It's not an old story to me. Also, old or new story is irrelevant. What matters is whether it works in Windows 7. It does not (R2R code modified versions are irrelevant). Thanks.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Some things you can try;
    1. Unpack installer with Universal Extractor.
    2. VMWare ThinApp for making portable versions of installable apps.
    3. Run installer with debugger attached to force/patch a jump on Windows version check.
    4. You can try the same thing for a DLL. x64dbg is a good one for stuff like this + patching, but I am no expert in that.
    5. Sometimes the software for example DAW itself is compatible with 7 but some of its dependency DLL needs 10.
    6. Use the last supported version, plugins don't change a hell lot once they get released and Waves sure as hell don't.
    7. Launchers like Softube Central don't probably work well because the code itself is bad or they use a too new version of Chromium, which too has dropped Win7 support.
    8. Look for R2R/VR Win7 patched versions, that's probably the best bet if they exist.
    Expect software with huge number of dependencies (libs, frameworks, Win32 API) and genius DRM to stop supporting 7 sooner.

What seems now like an artificial barrier will turn into a real one once devs start using Win10 only APIs and frameworks drop Win7 support also.

Or just upgrade to Win10/11? Anyways newer CPUs especially Intel ones need the new Win11 scheduler for better performance which MS won't ever backport.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Fair comments :wink:- I'm not disagreeing with you.
    It sounds like you have very valid reasons for being annoyed with Softube. They're telling you "upgrade or suffer!".

Just more rambling personal opinions... I see that as part of a broader problem with companies trying to coerce customers into being locked into an upgrade treadmill. It's a treadmill I'm happy to have stepped off a long time ago. R2R (and similar) get a round of applause from me for helping with that. Their efforts are not just about 'getting freebies' anymore, they're about helping us to sidestep planned obsolescence, and avoid being locked into modern hostage-subscription plans, etc.

The 'old story' I mentioned is the farce whereby you can pay for the product but then still prefer to run the pirated copy just to get a better hassle-free product, and one that you know you can keep alive even if and when the company dies.

I doubt if this thread will ever achieve any significant documenting of what software does or doesn't work on what OS, but I personally make sure I document such things carefully for really useful music tools (old or new - doesn't matter). There are too many treasures on old OS that have no valid reason to ever be regarded as obsolete. You don't throw a Stradivarius in the trash can just cos it's 300 years old :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

About Softube and win 7, I do have Softube central installed on my win 7 machine, running few legit plugins from them, Console 1, Tape echoes, Saturator and so on, and the other ones from R2R without any sort of problems.

Yes its a pain when I talk to them and they say that they dont support win 7 anymore and blablabla but the fact is that their legit products keep on working on my machine so so far so good

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

cubase 12 errors after manual install

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

just run vmware with windows 10 install the plugins en copy the installed files to your windows 7 install

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

11. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Juce 7 stopped supporting Win7 (or atleast removed it as its targets). Juce homepage says it does support Vista too though

• List
  12. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

Win 10 is just slightly faster, but at a price.
    Win 7 is less complicated, less CPU and memory hungry [including HDD]. It loads less services and other resources. Therefore with the same CPU etc. you have more free resources, less exceptions, meaning less interrupted audio processing - and consequently better quality of sound reproduction, at least.
    And you also have more space for setting higher priorities of processes important for audio processing.

13. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Always the same useless argument : win 7 is DEAD
    Or go back to win xp :wink:

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

I found that most "Win 10 plugins" run fine in Win 7, but for example PeakEater was not even recognized by Anleton on Win7. Have the Juce guys set it up that way (Juce 7 only outputting plugins that are not seen on Windows 7)?

15. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Worst offender, Kontakt 7..

I can confirm Waves 11, Cubase 12, Spectralayers,
    and AIR Music Technology instruments don't work.

16. pnutbuttrjarz

pnutbuttrjarz Ultrasonic

I did the same thing not long ago and switched to Win10 that I had been holding off from doing for years.

My system is running better than what it was on 7. So I'm glad I changed over. Won't be long before anything new will not be supported by 7.

17. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Kontakt.7.v7.1.5 works fine here
    Search for vkDanilov portable version

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  18. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

we are glad you like your Windows 10, but read the thread name:
    List of programs and plugins not working anymore
    please stay on topic

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I politely disagree.
    I have 2 PC win10, 2 win7 x64, 1 winxp ported to win7 x86.
    Most of work I do is on win7 though I understand everything goes 10+.
    Actually I wanted to port back the win7 x86 to xp for one thing only, the best helicopter simulator ever: Digital Integration Hind.:rofl:

K 7+ installing but not working here.
    Arturia collection 9.4 installing but not working here.

For vkDanilov portable you mean 7.1.5?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Agreed.