win10 ltsc still the way to go in 2024?

Discussion in 'PC' started by shroom, Dec 27, 2023.

1. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

I have been using Windows X-Lite for some time now. A slimmed-down Windows 10 version that only has the bare essentials but you can load the Windows App Store, Cortana etc. with a single click if required. There is also an Ultra Lite version that runs on very old PCs or laptops. Everything is described in detail on the page and there is a detailed YouTube video for each version where everything that is included in the version is explained. The site is: https://windowsxlite.com/

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It's only a suggestion depending on whether your existing Windows 7 machine can handle it.
    Try Windows 10 and 11 out in a Virtual machine. See which one you prefer. Install a handful of your most likely programs on both and see which ones work best for YOU.
    It will be a bit slower but you can decide on look and feel, and if you want to remove bloatware, telemetry, updates...whatever.... you can do it safely. VMWare is what I use for testing O/S's but each has a virtual preference. That way, if you decide on either or none, you can delete safely within your existing Win7 environment. There are piles of scripts out there to remove all checks for new security H/W on installations.

3. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

wow THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the detailed instructions :bow:

I will give it a shot once I got time (and the nerve lol) for it, also need the key first of course.
    And I seem to remember that I tried something similar at some point, which failed because of installation errors or so. But I think it was when I tried to upgrade from Win10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB to Win10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC. If I'm not mistaken the setup of the new one failed and fortunately it later on jumped back to the old OS without breaking anything.
    Might have already been an issue that it was an LTSC version again, and is probably/hopefully different with the exact method you described.

Guess I'm going to try it after the holidays, don't wanna ruin the free time with it, especially if it turns out not working :rofl:

Thanks again and enjoy your holidays!

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Thank you for mentioning this. I am going to try using this version in Parallels on my old Mac. I have been using Win10Pro_2004.172_LitePlus_oprekin.com for a few things, and this Ultralite version is only about half! the size for the ISO (1 gb smaller). I am hoping it will run even better, but oprekin version is already nice enough. Thanks :)

5. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

in regards, "btw if you're using internet, you're being spied by Google anyway (because literally every website uses Ads telemetry, recaptcha, so Google knows where you click and what you type)" this does little to move the conversation forward as it makes it seem futile to protect your privacy and computer. There are ways to obfuscate and destroy the "quality" of the information Google and others hoover up from open machines. Start by not logging into Google services ever. If you have to use Google services (and who has to unless there employers are clueless) use a fake name, a VPN and provide as much crap information as possible. Take lots of online surveys (MSN is very good about giving these out) and use crap data, tell them you are a woman if you're a man, tell them you make 10k$ a year or 150k$ have 8 kids are chinese and then give totally opposite answers the next day. The idea is the opposite of making a good recording. You want to have a tremendous Noise to Signal ratio.

6. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I still do not get the fascination with the Enterprise/LTSC versions of windows. Those versions were not designed with any sort of media production work in mind and are generally (at least in the case of ENT) larger footprints than the Pro versions. The Pro versions IMO are the best platforms for video and audio work. The pro versions still need optimization before being useful as a media production platform but at least with Pro versions there exists the least amount of junkware to get rid of while still maintaining usefulness in a local LAN environment... Anything higher than Pro and you're just shooting yourself in the foot bloatware wise... There is more and more useless stuff (for a media production platform) that needs to be uninstalled, removed, or disabled in ENT vs Pro. I do not see the reasoning behind making more work for oneself by deliberately installing a os version that makes the os "optimization" task more difficult. I still maintain that media production machines are a NON-INTERNET role and as such do not need win update, virus/firewall, wallet, store, cortana, internet search, weather, yadda yadda yadda, and the multitude of other junk included in windows os's anymore. There is nothing that should need to be tethered to the internet on a media production box. If there is, then obtain the scene release versions of those pieces that demand a net connection and cut the cord. Your internet surfing role should be a different machine (an older beater machine perhaps) altogether. Only in this way will you have the best experience for both roles and the least amount of headache due to "legit" production software installs complaining of "configuration changes" should you want to upgrade (hardware or software) your production or internet machine(s) ...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Ryan

Ryan Member

What do you mean exactly with this part " at least in the case of ENT larger footprints than the Pro versions" .

8. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

In addition to the normal end-user optimization chores that have to be dealt with on a Windows 10/11 PRO install, these additional "features" (aka PITA's) are present in the ENTerprise version that have to be dealt with as well.. NONE of this additional ENT stuff is useful in a media production role and must be either disabled or uninstalled. Since there is no significant difference in the operation of a properly optimized ENT build over a properly optimized PRO build I see no reason to add to the optimization burden by running ENT over PRO.

== Enterprise management and deployment that needs to be disabled or uninstalled
    Windows Store Access Management
    CEM (Customer Experience Management)
    Cortana Management
    Microsoft Dynamic Management
    App-V (Microsoft Application Virtualization)
    UE-V (Microsoft User Environment Virtualization)

== Enterprise Security that needs to be disabled or uninstalled
    Direct Access
    Direct Guard
    Credential Guard
    Windows Defender Threat Protection

== Additional Enterprise "basic features" that need to be disabled or uninstalled
    Windows To GO
    BranchCache
    Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  9. Garamondo Furbish

this is helpful if you care about online privacy
    https://odysee.com/@RobBraxmanTech:6/Digi-x2:b

10. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

As others have suggested, just install latest Windows 11 and debloat with open source tools if you want to. There are platinum producers using stock Windows 11 and doing just fine

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. studio-view

studio-view Member

I will take a look at AtlasOS , I was very skeptical about those custom windows builds but so far it been working great.
    It is very light and snappy, low on resources and just feels the windows that we all want windows to be. I’m using the latest AtlasOS windows 11.
    Give it a try and see if you like it , nothing to lose.
    You can fallow this video to see how to install it , good luck

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

i'm using revios10. i had the iso at that time, now thats discontinued. so you install the normal win10 and then apply the playbook on top of it.
    no problems for 6 months now. daw/games-all smooth sailing

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

AtlasOS won't let you install Windows feature updates, only security updates, so you'll end up with outdated Windows system in the long run - not a deal breaker but definitely something to be aware of

and updating AtlasOS itself can cause problems (bigger version jumps aren't even supported at all)

btw here's older video talk by Chris Titus Tech on AtlasOS:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  14. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Forget about "custom" versions.
    I've done it since XP, and they ALWAYS ended with troubles.

And now i even say forget about LTSC.
    Pro is enough, like @saccamano said.

But if you are side updating from LTSC Enterprise, i still advice regular Enterprise, to avoid any service specific Enterprise conflict.

If i started from scratch now, i would take Win 11 Pro vanilla without any question :wink:

15. shroom

shroom Noisemaker

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies!
    I installed a win10 LTSC version, seems light and snappy at first impression, although i haven't installed DAW and plugins yet.
    Will report back in a couple weeks when i will have tested it in more demanding situations.

16. Garamondo Furbish

yeah, good to hear. remember there's always windows XP (extra poopy) but i like it anyhow..