win10 ltsc still the way to go in 2024?

Discussion in 'PC' started by shroom, Dec 27, 2023.

1. shroom

shroom Noisemaker

Hello everyone!
    I've been sticking to Win7 until now, but they're slowly starting to become obsolete, so it's about time i move on.
    I remembered when i researched the subject a couple years ago, LTSB and later LTSC win10 versions was the way to go.
    I mainly use the laptop for DAW work, and occasional DJing, apart from basic internet browsing and word/excel (although i use LibreOffice, so i would prefer not to have microsoft office installed).
    Can anyone recommend me a good Win10 LTSC version to download?
    Or if anyone thinks there's a better option?

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

just go for latest Windows 10 (22H2) so you'll get "longest" compatibility,
    because latest Windows 10 LTSC is based on 21H2 which means it's already rather outdated feature set,
    that said it's very likely to see Windows 11 LTSC in 2024 but most likely you won't rush into Windows 11 from 7 directly
    :chilling:

4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I'd be curious to try Windows Server 2019 or 2022 (both based on Windows 10). I presume we're going to get more support extensions for those than for 'regular' Windows 10.

5. shroom

shroom Noisemaker

Won't this come with all the bloatware and telemetry and mandatory automatic updates etc?
    I would prefer to not have too much hassle with disabling services, uninstalling preinstalled programs, and tweaking the OS too much. Does this version of windows you suggested have a "Lite" version or something? And if yes, are these Lite versions similar to LTSC?

Isn't LTSC supposed to have support for the next 10 years or so? In which way would you think it is outdated?

Someone else was also suggesting Win Server as an alternative to LTSC. Has anyone had experience with this?

6. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Send me a PM

7. benjazz31

benjazz31 Newbie

Win10 22H2 it's first choice for upgrade and work with studio one last version 6.5 :clin d'œil:

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

Be aware that out of the more current windows relesaes , only specifically the "iot" version of the LTSC enterprise version of windows still has the 10 year support. Regular LTSC versions these days have "only" 5 years support . As far as I know this change is since the 2021 enterprise versions.

9. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

As someone who had an amazing Win7 DAW tuned so well it was the single best audio computer I've ever had, and I posted my plugin counts for years on GS. I've had many DAWs,,, I would AVOID Win10 at all costs if possible. As a music DAW Win 10 is absolutely trash in my testing even using the exact same hardware as my Win7 DAW. Win 10 reloaded programs over and over I uninstall and uninstalled programs I've loaded, it's an absolute spy machine too, with constant MS communication in tests, it
    s a shit show these days with Windows. I've built or help others build over 40 DAW PCs going back 25 years.... and the new Windows is so bad I went Mac for the first time ever! I recommend a new Mac mini or Macbook Air for audio work today, they are just better DAW computers.

I say all this as a long time PC guy.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  10. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

Check your Conversations page :winker:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  11. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I dropped LTSC on all my 3 win 10 machines recently.
    Because, sometimes, not being able to update SIMPLY is a pain.

As example, you can't use windows update to change LTSC version : you need a full local ISO update process.
    And there were some softwares not liking LTSC, because they want to see the LAST official win 10 version.

So i've done an ISO side update to regular Enterprise version (ISO + cheap key).
    It worked nicely on all 3 machines.

Now i'm all win 10 Enterprise regular canal update.

PS : i don't see the problem with Win 10. It is the most stable version since Win 7.
    But i see a bunch of problems coming with Win 11 (especially hardware limits).
    And i'm on the opposite direction : i dropped my Mac partition for Windows 10 only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Pepe2020

Pepe2020 Member

upload_2023-12-27_21-48-30.png
    + Tinywall.

13. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

It's only supported by Microsoft, not by 3rd party developers. For example, LTSC 2019 has an extended support till 2029, but a lot of newer software (like VST plug-ins or hardware drivers) cannot be run anymore, since the OS is based on Windows 10 1809 and is missing some necessary APIs and other things included in recent versions of Windows. So even if it's "supported" for five more years, it's not really usable as a desktop system anymore.
    Yes, LTSC 2021 is based on Windows 10 21H2, so it's not that old, but the problem remains. Many developers don't even take account of LTSC. One day you'll just apply an update your software suggest and all of a sudden this software doesn't work anymore...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Server OS's are not built with media production in mind. Basically you get all the heavy iron support for roles in a corporate network domain environment which can amount to a lot of stuff you'll never use or need. Check out GhostSpectre (or Tiny OS as well) windows 10 pro (or 11) as IMO it's the best free and most expedient solution for a junkware free windows OS experience and the best for lower latency media production. There are both windows pro versions, either 10 or 11, to choose from.

15. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

make sure you image your windows 7 machine in case you get buyers remorse. Myself its windows 7 for the future, but I mostly use the daw for mixing, I track on zoom r24. I've used windows 10, I have a laptop with windows 10 in case there's some bit of software I can't live without, but i'm old school and microsoft is moving to an internet based subscription service, and thats not a boat I want to ride in.

so make sure you back up your drive, or just pull it out and mark its as windows 7 and stick a new ssd, in your machine and do a clean iinstall.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

some programs have hardcoded Windows type check, so their licenses or even whole programs may not work once they detect Server edition

and does it matter? if you're paranoid about those, then have an offline computer without internet access and none of those will kick in

btw if you're using internet, you're being spied by Google anyway (because literally every website uses Ads telemetry, recaptcha, so Google knows where you click and what you type)

support from Microsoft, not from third-party software and hardware,
    for ex. you may buy a new audio interface and there will be no drivers because makers will only support Windows 11 and latest Windows 10 (22H2) which LTSC (and Server) cannot be updated to

EDIT - to clarify, Windows 10 LTSC is labeled as 2021 is based on version 21H2 and Windows Server labeled as 2022 is also based on version 21H2,
    to compare, Windows 10 21H2 was released on 2021/11/16 and already reached end of support on 2023/06/13
    and just for sake of comparison, Windows 11 21H2 already reached end of support on 2023/10/10

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

For maximum compatibility, forget LTSC and stick to regular Enterprise/Pro.
    I learned it the hard way when i needed to update due to some softwares not installing.
    And there was NO update. Not to Win 11 too.

22H2 final is already NOT enough for some softwares.

About bloatware, it is not only on Windows.
    Did you seen the last Acustica Audio episode ?

Too much questions for nothing mate ... install a regular Enterprise/Pro Win 11 and roll.

I'm with @tzzsmk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  18. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

I haven't experienced the problems you listed here about Windows uninstalling programs. Windows is not privacy friendly but Apple and Mac is comparable or even worse. Macs have been noted to scan local image files without consent https://sneak.berlin/20230115/macos-scans-your-local-files-now/

The op, shroom, raised concerns of Windows
    . If you are concerned about privacy you should have a windows computer that is always offline or use a Linux computer.

You can use the latest Windows and use any popular open source tools to remove some bloat, telemetry, etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

Sorry but I need to take the chance and ask you about this, since I'm pretty much in that situation for quite some time, and you seem to have experience in that regard. Might also be interesting for OP.

I'm on Windows 10 LTSB Enterprise 1607 (build 14393.6529) [non-legit] and I was very happy to be on that OS when making the switch from Win7 to Win10.
    But it's getting worse and worse when it comes to software installations, best example probably is that I couldn't update my legit Studio One v5 anymore at some point, because the OS is "outdated". Stuff like that.
    I made several careful attempts to update to a newer version but it's very difficult, and I remember that I had one case about a year ago where I already thought I lost pretty much the entire Operating System.
    And I'm not one of those guys who are switching their OS like others their underwear, so I'm not very experienced with that.

From your perspective, is it even possible to update this OS, without vanishing the entire OS and do a clean new OS install? You said: "you need a full local ISO update process", so would that be a way to do it?

This is really something the OP should keep in mind, LTSC/LTSB versions are great but you will inevitable reach a point where you will have trouble with them.

20. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@DrumcodeX
    I will try to be precise :wink:

• First, backup your C system partition.
    Even if it worked right for me 3 times, you never know.

IT WILL KEEP YOUR PROGRAMS,USERS ACCOUNTS AND INSTALLATIONS
    , nothing will be deleted.
    It is like a regular OS update.

LTSC update, or side update to another OS version, are called "in-place upgrade" because you need a local ISO copy.
    There are no tools to do it online.

• Second, download the official ISO from Microsoft.
    I advice everyone to FORGET about LTSC, get the "regular" Enterprise ISO, and get a cheap key on side market.
    Got mine for less than 10 bucks.

Some reading about upgrade paths :
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

Note: according to Microsoft upgrade paths, you can sidegrade / upgrade to Win 10 Pro too, if you were on LTSC Enterprise.
    But i would stick to Enterprise, to avoid "features" conflict.

Download page for ISO :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/download-windows-10-enterprise

Download your country/language regular Enterprise ISO 64 bits on the LEFT side.

You need your Enterprise key OR an "install key", just to install it.

Here is the official momentary "install key" if you don't have one for now :
    Windows 10 Enterprise : XGVPP-NMH47-7TTHJ-W3FW7-8HV2C
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95922-generic-product-keys-install-windows-10-editions.html

And here is a website search engine for cheap keys, I'm not affiliated to it (when it works ...) :
    https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-microsoft-windows-10-enterprise-cd-key-compare-prices/

Bought mines on french CDiscount website :rofl:
    • Now you are ready to close all programs, even antivirus
    • Mount ISO (right click, open in Explorer)
    • launch the setup EXE
    • It will ask if you want to keep your files and programs ... OF COURSE YES !
    • Let the installer run (it will probably download some Windows Update packs too)
    After a restart, you get the same Win 10 Enterprise but in "regular" update canal.

It is not complicated, and it worked 3 times on different computers for me :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. bluebone

bluebone Member

i recently used "LeDragoX / Win-Debloat-Tools" on my new audio laptop (win11) and i was so happy about it, that i used it on my main PC as well (win 10, for audio, work and gaming). in addition to using "apply all tweaks" button, i also removed edge and several other apps, disabled several startup items and scheduled tasks, disabled auto updates for os and most apps.

i use tinywall (no popups!), coz using windows firewall basically means anything can have it's access (it's quite opposite what you want from firewall lol). i block some core windows function there (like smartscreen, searchApp). i also use "block all" function in tinywall to go offline when doing audio (apps can't update and steal my precious miliseconds / show me waiting cursor in middle of audio nirvana which disrupts me)