WIN10-1809 update

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Maizelman

Maizelman Platinum Record

Updated version of Windows 10 October 2018 Update released to Windows Insiders
    The file deleting issue:
    "...occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location."

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Where machine gun effect means dead bodies
    There's a nice small portable utility that does just that, disables windows updates and, more important, prevents Microsoft software to re-enable them.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/

This utility doesn't disable Windows Spyware but it's cool and easy.

Thanks for the input.
    I've already seen "unofficial" Windows v1809 with the issue fixed. Trustworthy ones, they're from the same group I've been using Windows releases from since late Win 7 versions.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Kapellmeister

Would the ones from that group happen to be "lite" versions? I was thinking it would be nice to set up one of those, but never followed up on what i found and lost track of things.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

They aren't lite versions. They are normal distributions with nice additions (always with official tools) like only important updates, a couple of system utils that many people install, option to activate Windows, sometimes with Office included, and so on...
    That's why I say they are 100% trustworthy. At least as much as official Microsoft ones.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Kapellmeister

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You're welcome. I could give you my steps to optimize Windows 10 that gives me both in RAM and CPU very similar results than a Lite version.
    Not rocket science but since my computer is very old I've experience.

7. EddieXx

EddieXx Platinum Record

havent powered on my stationary for two weeks (been on my macbook) so probably non of these updates have been automatically installed.

is there anything in it that helps audio or 3d or design work?
    or is it just looks and emojis, just like osx nowadays

8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Kapellmeister

Thanks, I do a little tweaking but with a newer computer (i7-7700 non-OC) and 32G RAM thinks run fine.
    My main reason would really be a little less junk and to make my backups a little smaller as I do LOTS of backups and save them.
    I have 2 or 3 install backups customized the way I like with few programs on them, and thought it might be nice to have a really slim Win10 o start with. I think it is more a holdover of feelings for the lite XPs (and Win7 on an older machine) I made back in the day when it made a huge difference in performance and space savings.
    I still have the Win7 all set up and was going to upgrade hardware a bit but found it began to seem a poor investment of both time and money, as I had an OEM Win7 and was unsure about the results and the longevity.