win10/11 deleting partition cause of bad sectors....

Discussion in 'PC' started by Auen Fred, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

win10/11 deleting partition -cause of bad sectors....?

have you ever experienced such behaviour ?
    seems to happened on my partners win 10 pc .

3. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

4. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

after restart d: is back again , happened 1 times before so i told her to back up all the tax papers .so this time it was more bout loosing storage.maybe next time its not comming back again .she read bout this in quick google search that win10/11 doing such , like written in title .

thanks mate i will look into it by time

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I wanted to see what the AI would reply with, using exactly how you wrote it:

You: win10/11 deleting partition -cause of bad sectors

ChatGPT
    In Windows 10 and Windows 11, the operating system deleting a partition could be due to several reasons related to bad sectors:

1. Disk Health Issues: Bad sectors on a disk indicate physical damage or deterioration. When Windows detects bad sectors during its routine checks or when accessing files, it may take action to safeguard data integrity. This can include isolating sectors or marking them as bad, which might lead to partitions being deleted if critical data structures are affected.

2. File System Corruption: Severe bad sectors can corrupt the file system structures that Windows relies upon to manage partitions. In such cases, Windows might attempt to repair the file system or mark the partition as unreadable, leading to its deletion to prevent further data loss or to facilitate repair.

3. Drive Failure Precautions: Windows might delete a partition as a precautionary measure to prevent data loss in the event of imminent drive failure. Modern operating systems prioritize data safety, and deleting a partition affected by bad sectors could be a way to prevent further damage to other partitions or the entire disk.

4. Disk Management Actions: In some cases, a user or a disk management tool might intentionally delete a partition that has too many bad sectors or is causing issues. This could be part of a troubleshooting process or a proactive step to prevent further complications.
    What to Do if Your Partition Gets Deleted:
    • Backup: If possible, immediately attempt to back up any important data that is still accessible on the disk.

• Disk Checking Tools: Use Windows' built-in tools like CHKDSK to scan for and repair bad sectors. This might help recover some data or stabilize the disk.

• Professional Data Recovery: If critical data is lost, consider consulting a data recovery service. They might be able to recover data from the affected drive, though success rates vary depending on the extent of damage.

• Replace or Repair: If bad sectors are numerous and the drive is old, consider replacing it. Drives with multiple bad sectors often continue to degrade, leading to more data loss over time.
    In summary, Windows deleting a partition due to bad sectors is typically a protective measure to prevent data loss or further drive degradation. It's important to address bad sectors promptly to minimize potential data loss and restore drive health.

6. MRFEENIX

MRFEENIX Kapellmeister

Funny you should post this.. The start of this week I had a drive I had a partition on with backups on one side and other stuff on the other working with no problems and i decided to remove the back up and delete the partition resize to use it for storing recorded music. I started getting read errors so ran crystaldisk and got a yellow caution alert for the drive. I removed everything and formatted it and still got warnings. Strange.. the drive is quite old but has basically had stored stuff on it hardly written to just reading now and again (external drive). So just had to find space on a load of other drives as this one now is not safe enough.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

so anoying .the drive isnt that old imho and didnt see many operations nor deleting and new overwriting of files . just moderate use of tax program (need to be feckn online ) and some storage of pics and hearbooks .

edit: BTW its a complety untreated nor custom iso win10 ,OS ready bought pc....:deep_facepalm:

so for time saving can someone point me directly into right direction ? bad sectors is not defragmentation isnt it .can i repair bad sectors ? should we just buy a new drive .i guess when i check it it looks same as mr feenix's log .
    i would never build like this , just dedicated c: small ssd and rest on hdd e.g .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
  8. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Yes SMART is the first thing to do (after backup).
    If there are bad PHYSICAL sectors ... just trash the drive or send it under warranty (some makers provide VERY long warranties, like 5 years or more).
    There is nothing more to do, it is a mechanical failure (it happens even from factory).

Long answer :
    YES bad sectors can be (sadly) in the worst places : boot sector/partition table/file system table ... affecting more than some files only.
    I'm a computer tech/geek for decades, and i seen a lot of things :wink:

I even seen RUSTY HDD (because no, they are not air tight), used for more than 20 years ... rust killed them by creating an "head crash" due to rust thickness. If hdd were air tight, may be those could have lasted 10 years more :rofl:
    On the other side, i've seen countless dead on arrival HDD, being packed exactly like others working ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

10. stopped

stopped Producer

bad sectors are permanently dead and a sign the disk is failing

there are all sorts of efforts you can put into reclaiming the good & bad information from the disk, and can maybe squeeze a little more life out of the drive, but if it is going bad already you're just asking for aggravation and lost data

you need to buy a new disk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

question is , is it the same or 2 different things .

12. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star