Will these headphones be ok with my preamp?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by FULKRAM, May 28, 2019.

1. FULKRAM

FULKRAM Newbie

I'm looking at two sets of headphones for mixing/mastering. The AKG K 702 & Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro. I'm running a Presonus HP4 headphone preamp. The manual says the output impedance for my preamp is 51 ohms the AKG K702 has an impedance of 62 ohms, DT 990 pro is 250 ohms.

Can I use these headphones with it? And if not, what sort of headphone preamp would I need for either of these?

Thanks guys

3. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

When you say you're looking at two sets of headphones.....do you mean they are there in front of you and you are looking at them or are you considering purchasing one of these two? The DT900 has a much greater resistance and will deliver lower SPL's. I haven't used these so can't vouch for sound quality and personally would baulk at buying another headphone amp. That's a rabbit hole you can go down and meet the Mad Hatter. But I have K702's and volume isn't a problem, but I find them to lack focus. Their airy bottom end doesn't lend itself to critical monitoring applications. I now use Audio Technica M70X which have an impedance of only 35ohms, so no need for another amp. They're a closed back design and deliver a tight punchy bottom and highs that don't sizzle.

4. FULKRAM

FULKRAM Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I wasn't clear I meant I was looking to buy them. I just looked at the M70X, Those are too expensive for me. I'm looking for something in the same price range as the two I mentioned £100-150.

5. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I previously had these and tbh they sounded the same as the pricier ones. Plus you'll be saving money on another headphone amp. I really trust the Audio Technicas. I mix on Neumann monitors with a Presonus subwoofer, then review my mix on my phone in bed once I've cleaned my brain out.... with these cans and it really shows anything missing or anything over emphasised. They just have a really tight precise sound.
    https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/99aff89488ddd6b1/index.html

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Be careful with high impedance headphones you will need a more powerful pre-amp for them.
    But I use DT 880pro and I can tell you that they are excellent. Very precise, solid, you don't get tired with them.

7. FULKRAM

FULKRAM Newbie

thanks