Will I be able to restore all software/Plugins on a new Mac? How it works?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by jimmyjohn, Mar 13, 2021.

1. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Hi guys,

I've been using an 2011 macbook for setting up Logic with all my plugins etc. I was wondering if I decide to get a new macbook could I clone my current harddrive and use it on my new mac and keep all my plugins etc?

I'm currenly running high sierra and I was wondering would the new mac also start off on this system when cloned and then I'd have to install Mac OS updates?

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

First, check if there are 32bits softwares/plugins/drivers ...
    None will work

4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Yes. With Carbon Copy Cloner. I've been doing this for years.
    ? The new mac will be running from that drive, yes. Assuming you can swap out the drives on your new mac. Or run it externally!
    Yes, you can then continue to update over the top if you want to. And keep the old drive with the older OS.
    I'm not sure if you may be thinking of trying to make the new drive the bootable clone of the old system, without replacing a drive?
    I'm not sure if it can be done like that.
    I suppose maybe CCC should be able to, but whether or not it's possible in regards the machine id of the new hardware along with its present OS, I very much doubt!
    Drivers? Mostly class compliant plug and play on mac for the last 20 years.
    High Sierra is a 64 Bit only OS. No 32 Bit plugs run natively since Lion. Need 32Lives.
    All his software will work.