Wide,warm and balanced mix.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Von_Steyr, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

While i was listening to this Bryan Ferry song i realized how masterfully it is mixed and mastered.
    Wide,warm and balanced,magic when the drums kick in.
    Thought i would post this here for you all to check.
    I can achieve very similar results with the waves TG12345, amazing plugin, be sure to check it out.
    Post your example of a wide,warm and balanced mix.

3. Bryan Ferry is infamous for spending weeks on a single mix. Slave to Love took 45 days of continual mixdown if you want the full mazooma of mixing perfection. Remember most of this pre-limiting so there's a huge headroom for the mix'es dynamic range.

This was recorded and mixed at Island Basing Street, now known as SARM West. Not tobe confused with the GARM facility. Which IIRC was a Harrison deck most of its days. This may inspire...

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Slave to love has the same sonic properties, its so good its sick.
    Thanks for the video bro.

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's

Michael Jackson's Billie Jean is the first thing I listen to when I need to gain back perspective. This song is dynamic, punchy and badass; a combination that is rare to find these days. 91 mixes were made only to choose mix 2 for the album. Some reading followup here courtesy of Sound On Sound.

6. Hey the past was a different country. Basing was one the first studios with 48 track, which was done by ganging two 24 track transports with a cockamamie synchronisation system using 1 track on each. So at 30ips on 2” tape, 4 mins and 50 seconds with resync run in is like 300 feet of tape times two. You can reckon on 5 of those 45 days being taken up with rewind and cue. Digital you just click home and you’re there.

The other thing is like how many compressors do you have? I mean different makes, not instances, instances are unlimited. A studio in those days would have maybe two each of three varieties available for mixdown. You’d have to wait for Bob Marley or whomever in room 2, to free up the Urie or weep tears of cash hiring a loaner from the vampires down the west end. Reverb was even worse, as there was a belief that there were golden units that engineer’s skivvies would get into punch-ups over.

How many verbs you got? You even count? I got around 20. Audio Engineering was hard work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I am addicted to Vikings season 3 mix. It's warm and wide as you said, I love the soundstage, the presence and the not so aggressive but upfront sound. Here is a shitty upload as compared to the cd I have.

Best thing about it is Trevor Morris himself has mixed most of the tracks he told me. In his own words ,

"I self mix most of what you hear, but it does get a final touch from my engineer Phil McGowan, I have a SOTA mixing facility in LA, but the majority of the mixing is done by me in Cubase and ProTools to be honest".

8. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

anything by ricardo villalobos