Why We never get Tutorials made by Biggest Ones in Music Industry?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Roject, Nov 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

poor mixing engineers never get any credit as long as you guys dont think of them as artists :hahaha:

2. Epcot

Epcot Guest

Mr. Robert shouldn't say that.

No one has problem with engineering and mix engineers. They are definitely needed. Even on the sister site, there are a lot of these tutorials.

Now suppose you want to make a song. The initial idea is formed in your mind. You sit down and research the whole idea. Then you put your research together. You have to know how to tell story and poetry. You have to know the combination of the story with the music and a thousand other things.

Teaching what I said is much more complicated than mix engineering.

If you pay attention to all the tutorials, most of them are 2 hours or less. It is not possible to teach all the principles from zero to 100 in 2 hours. Meanwhile, no one comes to teach all the steps one by one till the end.

To make a great song, you have to learn all the details. No one in his training tells all the details and usually just says the generals and leaves the composer alone in the rest of the steps.

3. Epcot

Epcot Guest

Like the situation where you make your girlfriend conceived and leave her, and she has to raise the child alone, with all the discomforts and hardship, until he/she is 20 years old.

4. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

good channel

from minute 5 he is talkin getting tinnitus from to much working with headphones , wtf

5. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

You know. I'm not expect tutorials about arts of music but more about technical aspects and something which motivates me.
    I wanna listen about studio tips. About stories like I start mixing and then do mixes for my friends. Then this start to be my extra job. Plugins sucks 20 years ago but now they are awesome. I'm using this and this. This plugin was not intended for compressing vocals but I'm using it for this. Etc.

Actually I found few very good Courses from great producers.

https://www.giuseppeottaviani.com/masterclass/

https://www.aulart.com/masterclass/behind-the-analog-mastering/

Do You know more Good Courses like these?

6. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

"mix with the masters" was nice to watch ...

7. recycle

recycle Guest

It is really hard (impossible) to explain the dark paths of the creative process, difficult even for an established showbiz professional whoever he is.
    For example, I am a lover of Teddy Riley 's sound, I have read and seen several tutorials on what his compositing processes are. Everything he says is really interesting -technically-, unfortunately I couldn't understand the most important thing: what is the trick? What is the secret weapon to reach that powerful vibration? Unfortunately, there is no technical answer, to find those answers you have to go into the metaphysical world, you should talk about - magic - feeling - love - and these are concepts that cannot be explained in words, not even with all good will.
    Myself, I know what I'm doing (technically) when I come up with a good creative product, but I have no idea why I took that unprecedented direction. To be spiritual we can say that at that moment it is the Hand of God that is playing, not mine.
    Unfortunately, no one has ever done a tutorial on how to get to the Divine Light: it comes by itself and you are overwhelmed, period.

Art is truly an inexplicable thing

Here a nice Teddy Riley song
    (it sounds a lot lot like MJ: coincidence?)

8. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    'Masterclasses' have lost all meaning - Most have no structure at all. It's just free money for them to blather on.

9. Jake Jlinngall

Jake Jlinngall Kapellmeister

because they would show you how that expensive gear they have is really their secret "sauce" and they know you can't afford it so they don't want to make 99% of ppl depressed. They rather just sell you a dream on shit tutorials and plugins.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

why should i share all my secrets for a few bucks?

I agree masterclass courses have no structure.

The GO Masterclass was for me really the best one, Guiseppe had such a good structure, very inspirational and if you are into trance, you will fall in love with him easily.

Sonic Academy still has very good tutorials and also some biggers names involved.

The Armin was good, Estiva was very minimalistic and also the other ones from Armada Uni, were good.

The Timbaland one, also creativewise a very good one.

11. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

I watched the Timbaland one (Masterclass, not MWtM). It had its moments, but for the most part I thought it was ridiculous :rofl:The best info I got from it was when one guy used Sugarbytes' Effectrix plug - that thing looks very interesting.

Tim is definitely gifted rhythmically (you can tell by the beatbox segment - very creative and inspiring in a sense) but like...there's that one part where he slices a sample in Ableton - like, dude, at least have the minimum effort to slice those things correctly before you film :bleh:

Also the part where he came up with that very Drake-like melody warble to that beatbox song and was VERY pleased with himself :rofl:(to be reaffirmed by his lackeys). I was like, "maybe you should've called that melody man after all"... In a way that also made me sad, because it reminded me of the whole "topliner" approach of today which I HATE. It's why the music of today sounds the way it does. :no:

Also the "band" approach sort of confirmed what has been thought of these mega producers before: they have a bunch of lackeys (or "engineers" or "assistant producers") that do all the work for them, while the "master" guides them. On the other hand, that's sort of how it was in the olden days, when the producer in a session would guide/produce the band.

But it was fun to look at their shared screens, to see what plug-ins they had and what sample packs they use(d). At least the Karra sample pack, BWB drums, Fabfilter, Neutron, Omnisphere and Sugarbytes.

12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Just because someone is a virtuoso in their craft does not mean they are good at teaching it.
    But there are some who are good at their craft and are great at teaching. When it comes to mixing tutorials, I think of matthew weiss or michael white, for example. The paid courses are great. I mean really great!

On the other hand, the masterclasses and mix with the masters etc are more about the creative mindset and less about the craft itself. Which can also offer a high added value, but for beginners usually does not bring the value that the beginner hopes for.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

why would someone who is not totally stupid make such a nonsense? :)

14. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

No tutorials can give you that metaphysic, subconscious component needed to make good tracks.
    You can learn a lot of technical stuff and get great at mangling and producing tight, clean sounding tracks but you still need to give life to the tracks, this is where good ones shine because they can access this component or at least were able to.
    It sometimes just goes away, its a gift for sure.

15. droplet

droplet Rock Star

As soon as I'm done with my million dollar production value tutorial series, I'll post it for free.
    Pm me for any donations and I'll send you my iban.

16. Arghspace

Arghspace Guest

Many of the MixWithTheMasters videos are good. Mainly the ones about production. Others... not so much, as I personally don't get much out of seeing a Mixing Engineers turning knobs on a huge console or outboard effects while the camera only vaguely points into the direction of the unit they're changing parameters on... Watching someone on a mixing console just isn't very useful when you don't have a mental image of how exactly everything is laid out on there like the Mixing Engineer does. Every Engineer does it differently after all.

Other than that, Ian Kirkpatrick does livestreams (if he's not a big producer, then who is?) and so does Disclosure. Their breakdowns of songs they produced aren't super well structured since it all happens during live streams but you'll still walk away with some good lessons learned.

17. 8bits

8bits Producer

Because you did not know what it was to be a musician in the 80’s? No internet, not easy to get hardware and software as 123, prohibitive hardware price, but a massive use of the fantasy and know how of the few thingz that u had.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

So true. The "good ones" have that special combo: they know the ins and outs of the technical aspects but also have that FEEL to make it all shine. That being said, it's definitely not a formula for guaranteed success - despite all this, it might work, and it might not.

It's trickier these days because "producers" have to be everything-in-one: engineer, songwriter/composer, keyboardist, drummer, mixer. It's expected. And if one of these areas is lacking, you're shit, basically.

These days the "topliner" approach takes one part out, though. So in a sense a producer isn't a complete songwriter, because he might employ a "melody man" to write the rest of the song.

Quincy Jones once said, his litmus test is "goosebumps" (the good kind). Meaning, if the track gives the creators goosebumps in the studio, it most likely will be a banger outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

I agree, today you have to be anything and everything if you want to make money with this or just be good.
    Most cant afford the studio rates, so learning all of the technical stuff, while not easy and it takes some time, the rewards are many, including having your own sound.

20. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I think in the age of the internet and overly narcissistic self-aggrandizement, many have forgotten that there are analog ways to network. Very few make it to the top on their own.
    If you're a producer but not good at mixing, team up with someone who is a mixer but not a producer. That person will probably be happy to have something to work on. Grow together. Put together a small team where everyone complements each other.
    Yes, money needs to be shared, but so do investments and successes. With more manpower comes more productivity, more knowledge, more creativity and dynamism. You don't have to be able to do everything yourself! Not yesterday, not today, and not tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List