Why the brands don't mind the time domain?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Swg Itsyo, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Hi! Today I was wondering why newest monitors always have bass port? Even the ones for mixing.. i mean, the fast time domain isn't the secret for reveal a lot of details? Sealed type monitor like ns10 made (and are making) history, and for the newbie in a home studio maybe having a sealed is better too! So why all the monitors nowadays has this slow fast domain if this translate worst? :facepalm:

3. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

NS10 where used ONLY for mids balance.
    Because no bass AND sh*tt* tweeter (some ppl even used them WITHOUT tweeter ).

Now you get your response : because you CAN'T do a "full range" mix on NS10, only mids.

If you want the same response and bass level on closed design, it wil cost you a LOT more : more power (because no bass port "bump"), bigger enclosure, bigger speakers ...

Bass port is a compromise. And it is still used by most mixing engs :wink:

Go compare bass port VS closed in any brand, and compare size/price/weight for the same SPL and freq range.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Yamaha NS10 was born as a bookshelf loudspeaker, it could be maybe the worst audio monitor you can choose for a recording studio, at the same time one of the most important tools you need. If you want to know the real story, read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_NS-10

The tissue paper trick is amazing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I would add a single MONO one could do the trick, if you are tight on budget.
    Same with Auratone 5C.

The only problem with mono mids monitoring is ... where i put the mono speaker ? In front of my screen ? :rofl: