Why rar in rar?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nmkeraj, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

saying the 0day ruleset would be the reason is funny.^^

2. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

I though this was obvious but here are some info: scene uses rars inside of zips for standard 0day releases (software, pda, ebooks some 0day game releases) every zip part contains file_id.diz, for iso releases (disc physical media image) bin and cue in rar parts with sfv and nfo, music, movies webshows, games also use the iso ruleset/rars parts with sfv and nfo webscene is following the iso release rule set for every release example of pro audio scene groups currently active: EXPANSION, MASCHiNE example of currently active pro audio webscene groups: R2R, SYNTHiC4TE, FLARE, DECiBEL, DISCOVER, CODESHiNE, RET, TNT, VR example of some not active (retired) pro audio webscene groups: CHAOS, ASSiGN, Peace-out, TRACER, AudioUTOPiA, HEXWARS, PlatenseSoul, MATRiX and more example of some not active (retired) pro audio scene groups: AiR, AMPLiFY, BEAT, H2O, DELiRiUM, DYNAMICS, UNiON, OxYGeN, ArCTiC Radium... packing in more parts can achieve better comparison of the data. I hope this information cleared some confusion and questions for example why the R2R and the mentioned webgroups releases are not on scene indexes there is webgroup indexer upawg that lists also scene releases related to pro audio ebooks tutorials etc.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Oh. I have just found LuquidSoinics Libraries on ISO and compressed into rar. Why ISO? It could be done as "rar in rar".

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There're several reasons for using different "packing" methods. Some apparently very weird for us downloaders.
    As others have said some go back to the early days. now they doesn't make so much sense but well, not a big deal.
    I've found Kontakt libraries distributed like this just because they had a lot of files (no nkx files, a lot of individual wav/ncw files)
    The reason was just that torrents have a limit on number of files. And then perhaps one DDownload uploader would upload the iso in 1GB rar parts.

Another unrelated example that surprised me back in the day was for pirated movies/shows/etc like 8-10 years ago. This wasn't about packing.
    It turned out there were rules for the codecs in the video scene. So the official codec passed from Xvid (H263) to x264 (H264).
    That didn't mean you couldn't release in xVid anymore, many groups kept doing it for compatibility or just old computers.
    But there was an "official" codec. And I guess the same for audio, even the container perhaps (from avi to mkv). Surprising for me.

• List
  5. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

In no way am I hating on Flares uploads. But I don’t understand all the nested RAR files... All his stuff is totally worth the extra effort to unpack though!! I’m sure there’s some reason behind the insanity.

6. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

Webgroups doesn't need to follow packing rules but they follow to appear professional not to look like dirty p2p release

• List
  7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Good point. There's elitism everywhere.

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

thats one of the worst features JD2 has lol. It came for me only with problems, its the feature i always deactivate. And since most of the services support hashing-file checks, i can unpack later manual, which works for me.

but all in all JD2 is such a wonderful app.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

seems to me like the size is smaller before unpack.. something like that.. i maybe wrong.. i think i did saw the difference in size pack vs unpack.. not sure but i think i did.. i did see the difference.. i think i did..

[​IMG]

10. livemouse

livemouse Producer

[​IMG]

11. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

sharehosting didnt even exist when the scheme started. :)