Why many people are obsessed with Windows 7?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Wolfang, Apr 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I'm just curious why so many people are obsessed with Win 7? As far as my exp, Win 10 is good enough to launch any app. Is there any specific reason?

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I just happen to believe software is supposed to be there for our benefit, not the other way around. Win7 allows me to operate everything I want to use, therefore it is perfect for my needs.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

I'm too poor to buy a win10 or win11 machine at this point, simple as that. But I'm working on that. My PC whistles loud as fuck upon startup for a few minutes until it's fully powered up on the sign in page. My PC have a lisp...

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. sowhat

sowhat Ultrasonic

I wouldn't say that sticking to an OS is an obsession, but rather something that grew up on you. You are comfy with the UI, you know where to mess with the system's little details so that it responds and acts like you wish, get rid of all the bloat you don't need, etc...
    And most important, it simply works fine, just like you wished for.

Now, each time you are confronted with a new "upgraded" OS you have to figure all these things out all over again, and most often find out the the devs added some nasty little spying/marketing services that you'll have to take care of. A new UI that doesn't always make sense to you. Settings that have been hidden or reorganized for no reason,... you name it.

When upgrades are around the corner, ask yourself, is your actual OS failing you? Are there things that would it make it so much better? If not, why upgrade? Most Win7 users are comfy with the OS and don't see the need to upgrade, I wouldn't call it an obsession ;)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

Psychological: stick to what one knows, the OS one is most comfortable with.
    Functional: if it works, why change + nuisance to get everything running on a new install
    Economical: upgrading costs money + newer OS might not provide any benefit
    Principal: Win 7 is the last traditional Windows (start menu, no online features/ads, etc...)

I always use the latest Windows because I'm a techie and I like cutting edge and tinkering. But I understand that for many people a computer is a purely functional affair that helps them to get a (paid) job done. And if that job is as efficiently done on Windows 95 compared to Windows 11, they couldn't care less about Windows 11. I totally get it.

Unfortunately that is not the way capitalism works. Capitalism needs an ever growing economy, which means change, even if that change often is not needed from a functional perspective. If people are happy with a product for 30 years, that is really bad for capitalism.

• Like Like x 18
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

For some people it's sounds better than Win10/11, probably because they are nostalgic of their young age. But if you want that specific 2000s sound that people are nostalgic about, it's the best way, you could also use a WinXP but it's hard to find some machine in good condition at reasonable price now :dunno:

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

In many poor countries, or better say, where most people are poor, building your own computer is based on buying pieces in black market, from people who steal and or recuperate them from big enterprises. ( Not to speak about countries where having your own computer is simply forbidden).

So in these conditions, people generally can only build "weak" and obsolete computers. This is where Win7 comes, it works well with an old i7 from 15 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. DJK

DJK Rock Star

with no support for win 7 now you are taking a risk if you use it online, offline you can stay with it forever

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. BagelShaggerz

[​IMG]

All of your reasons are much better than mine. I feel better about myself now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

It' simple: I have four win 7 machines running with loads of music applications. I would have to reinstall every program and vst. As long as the system is running as expected I see no reason to change a winning team. Even with win 7 it was possible in the past to produce perfect songs. All those updates that require win 10 or higher do not make your music better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. BagelShaggerz

Sez all the businesses still using Win7 to keep the fort down, let alone the ones still using WinXP for dear life.
    Yes this is in Amedica, not another third world country.

[​IMG]

Agree, that if you have another online browswing computer then offline is the way to go.

That's why I cri in missing dollar bills but since I ain't invest any money in my bank, the crash ain't meant shit to me brother.

13. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

W10 was initially a Mess..

Then it got fixed but still:
    Two Control Panels?
    No Aero Glass?
    Lots of Bloatware, Telemetry n Shit..
    No Control over Windows Update.. < This killed the deal.

Nowadays the situation with Windows Update has improved,
    and there's even ways to make it work more like W7/before, which means to have Control over it..

This PC can run it so W10 remains as an Upgrade route,
    the moment the software I rely on refuses to work anymore..

Although someday I will have to finally bite the bullet,
    get a proper AM5 Ryzen and 64GB of RAM.. and build maybe the last and definitive PC.
    (which is what I thought about this computer but heck, 64GB is a must with nowadays libraries..)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

Because according to many people it's the peak of Windows. It combined the reliability and performance and productivity known from Windows XP with the eye candy of the failed Windows Vista. It was the last version of Windows that was relatively bloat/spyware free, which is great for productivity. It was the last version that didn't include shit like Cortana, Microsoft-Store or OneDrive, all of which are online services. It was also the last version that didn't force arbitrary feature updates on it's users. Updates were purely security and stability related and feature updates could be installed manually, if needed. You know, like it should be in any OS. That's what Linux still does. And if Microsoft didn't stop supporting it, it would still be the best version of Windows.

But that's not what Microsoft is interested in. Ever since Windows 8, they've been trying to establish a "system-as-a-service" ecosystem where more and more features are based on online services that the user is supposed to depend on, which frankly disgusts me. Tech companies are actively trying to establish a world where everything you do digitally is service- or subscription based, where you control and own nothing and are supposed to be happy with it. I say fuck that, I will never support that. I don't want to live in a a world like that. I will fight for ownership and independence till the day I die. I'll continue hoarding movies, music, games and software on external HDDs because I can. I'll use an open-source operating system that doesn't enforce anti-consumer practices on me, because I can. I will own everything and be happy.

That's why I'll never touch Windows 11 or anything that comes after. Microsoft is dead to me and now it's only a matter of time until I stop using my debloated Windows 10 and switch to Linux entirely.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    -some clever dude

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

hardware drivers missing or not updated on new versions of Windows

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Great reply and I can relate to you big time.

18. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I bought a new SSD about a month ago and installed Windows 10 for the first time. I did it because I thought it was inevitable that I was going to have to sooner or later. I didn't care that they weren't updating the OS, and most of the audio apps I use still work fine in Windows 7, but when things like the browsers you use stop getting updated, sooner or later you've got to just bite the bullet and move.

I'm still not happy about it though, and I'm still dual booting. When there's an app that I want to run that will only run in Windows 10, I'll reboot into Windows 10, but when I'm done and I'm just needing to do the mundane stuff that I always do, I'll reboot and go back into Windows 7. I've got everything set up there just how I like it, so I can do everything faster.

Over time, I'm sure I'll move all my extensions and passwords and things over to Windows 10, but even after a month, everything seems to take longer than it needs to.

19. Jomexe

Jomexe Ultrasonic

Not obsessed but I do use Windows 7 ... my desk PC (HP) dates from 2010 and has been used all day, every day since then. It's perfectly safe as I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials, which updates daily. In fact it detected and removed malware from a couple of music plugins I downloaded today (not from the sister site) that contained Trojans. Even though VirusTotal said they were okay!

My music machine, however, is Windows 10. It never connects to the internet except when I need to authorise software (very annoying, but it only takes a second or so). I've blocked all Windows updates, so I'm on version 1909 and everything works just fine.

When my desk PC finally dies, I'll move to Linux Mint. Over the years I've used various Linuxes (Linices?), starting with Slackware on floppy disks, as well as several Unix variants, so the OS holds no fears for me. But for music production, Windows rules so I'll stick with that for as long as it still works without going online.

20. syrius

syrius Member

The first time i saw win10, i said whoa, it is so ugly!
    I am not ready to move to that new OS. my machine is probably too old to make it work properly.
    I also customized win7 in such a way that I don't want to change. For example, my explorer folders are color coded so I can jump right to the correct windows just by looking at its color(even if the folder name is duplicated)
    This is what I am talking about:
    [​IMG]
    Also the windows border issue in win10 is a problem for me. Anyway. W7 is working fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Never change a running system. (Most used IT Quote)