Why is Windows 10 always doing something?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Zenarcist, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

i am a mac user and first time i used a win 7 laptop about 5 years ago i got mad over windows permanently playing on FUCKING MY harddrive.

(a mac doesnt do this: it only writes to the HD when you tell it to, like it should be.)

you have to might want to do the following (in the case of win7, but win10 doesnt generally differ, pic is from win10):

- turn off auto disk defragmentation

- turn off a few other services, after thinking twice if you want to use them or not.

for example index search is a relative nonsense option (unless you run a 20 user terminal for a big office).
    or eventually you dont even want to search at all, then you can also turn search off globally.
    if you use "antivirus" or "optimisation" software", those also often have services which you dont need, for example when "email security" is only available in the paid version and you dont have that, turn off the service.

before you turn off a service, make sure you know & remeber what you turned off, and be aware of the two modes: turning something off for this sessions (will be reenabled after reboot) or turn off forever.

upload_2021-1-21_21-41-1.png

the next thing you can do is limiting the windows auto update to "only the mandatory ones" or however it is called.

the same is true for "antivirus" stuff in case you use it; they often default to "update every hour" or every 2 hours. you might want to change that to "once a week".

if you did all this, and windows is still writing on the disk like crazy, either your RAM is a bit low (typical win 7 x32 problem), so that the virtual memory is already used when you open 2 youtube videos at once - or you caught a malware which is zipping your bookmarks every 20 minutes to send it to china or similar crap.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

Attached Files:

2. WillyA

WillyA Producer

There are two possibilities. First. all the telemetry and spyware - Download W10Privacy and turn all the shit off.

The other spyware is Google Chrome. Periodically, its sends a list of ALL software on your PC and it takes up 100% of CPU. There is a way to stop it. I did so LONG ago, you need to search for it (Bing or DuckDuck may have it, probably not Google!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

...Then can somebody call an exorcist?

"... Daemons BEGONE! ... The power of R2R compels you!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. SomebodyIsHere

SomebodyIsHere Ultrasonic

Windows 10 is the most inefficient OS I have used! I wish there was an alternative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Linux is pure garbage as desktop OS and macOS is sluggish and very limited to the Apple nazi regime. So makes me wonder what other OS was more efficient for the task you need to do....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

i have never heard about a car which prevents me from using the gas pedal because it decides on its own to use the motor energy for the radio for the next 8 seconds and then changes gear without a warning - or where the rear fog light is on by default and you need to climb under the car in order to turn it off.

windows 10 even just shuts down during downloads with the default energy settings, eventually breaking your downloads, as it seems it only sees the mouse as "busy" sign, but is ignoring applications currently talking to a storage bus. it is hilarious.

my Xserve is set to 5 minutes hibernation, but when it renders video files it keeps runing for 3 days, then turns off when the app is done working.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

the bunch of asshole at linux should be focused on making 2 or 3 operating systems good, instead of making whatever it comes from their minds

apple.... it's just apple, it is for people who don't know about computing...

for windows there is a bunch of guides and debloat scripts that works awesome (also, tools the help you like project lasso)... literally my cheap crappy laptop go quite smooth with the scripts from the thread that i put on my last comment (the low latency one), together with the setting to disable background apps

8. Ariel Gonzalez

9. recycle

recycle Guest

is there still someone using windows in 2021? Why?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

because none of the cracked software that i like works on the new macs. and because i like pain.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

:dont:

12. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

If you want to have trouble-less music computer, disconnect it permanently from internet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Me, because of some excessively greedy man named Timothy Donald Cook.
    .jpg

14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

"There is a way to stop it." You did so long ago. We need to search for it.
    OK. What is it we are searching for? "Stop Google Chrome sending a list of all software on my PC and taking up 100% of CPU" ?

15. Ariel Gonzalez

me, long time user. i really find anything easier because i know the system at the level that it is useful for me and because most of the problems are easy to fix or you can find the solution on internet because someone else had it

16. Ariel Gonzalez

debloat the whole system. on the first comment i put, i linked another thread that can be helpful with their scripts and advices from others

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  17. raps

raps Member

I would recommend Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

18. The Freq

The Freq Guest

If you wish to permanently disable. Backup first in case you change your mind or forget how you did it (Everyone is human and s*** happens).
    (Courtesy of Trish)

1. Open Windows Registry Editor by pressing Win+R, entering regedit.exe and pressing Enter.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplication.
    3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named GlobalUserDisabled and change its value to 1.
    4. Similarly, create another DWORD (32-bit) value named Migrated and change its value to 4.
    5. Close Windows Registry Editor.
    [​IMG]
    From this point on, all the background apps will be prohibited from being run in your individual user account in your Windows 10 PC. However, if you want to disable background apps from being run for all the users, then you will have to depend on the Group Policy editor in the following manner:
    1. Open Local Group Policy Editor by entering gpedit.msc in the Run dialog (Win+R).
    2. Select Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsApp Privacy.
    3. Find the setting named Let Windows apps run in the background, double-click on it and change its value to Enabled followed by Force Deny.
    4. Click on OK to save the settings and close all the open Group Policy Editor windows.
      Using these two effective methods, you can easily disable Windows Apps from running in the background. There are other ways but all of them either change the registry values mentioned in this article or they depend on the local policies.
    [​IMG]

NOTE !!!

Background apps can be things like defragment when idle or at a specific time, automatic temp directory clean-out, a scheduled virus scan - anything you have as a scheduled background task yourself, not just what Windows has elected to do. While the group policy is the fastest to do, it not only does it for all users, it also does it for all apps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2021
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Just go to Oprekin and get one of his Lite builds or send him a donation and ask him to build you a custom build for DAW work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

these mac vs PC threads always make me feel like i was the last normal person among islamists and right wing extremists.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List