why is there no deselect shortcut in ableton live 9

Discussion in 'Live' started by filtersweep, Mar 3, 2016.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

ok, i have to post this question here as i am not able to get any answer at on the ableton forums

am i blind or stupid or both? because i cannot figure out how to deselect and it is driving me crazy the amount of time i have spent reduced to pathetic sobbing because i try to select a single automation point and end up moving a huge bunch of stuff by accident.
    please god let there be a solution...
    thx

3. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

the entire region might be selected when trying to automate. click outside of the region then select a point to automate...

4. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I`m not 100% shure if I understand what you mean. But if you want to undo unwanted automation from a track just first make shure you choose the option add track for each `automation`. Make shure the stuff you want to undo is on a seperate automation track (not the track that also contains the audio/midi; If needed just hit some return effect to).

Finally select the area you messed up and hit delete.

5. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

what i mean is i can select all, but not deselect, not just automation, i mean deselect anything with one stroke like ctrl + D so no frustration in workflow which is what i get plenty of because of the crappy implementation ( or not) as every other program under the sun has a deselect key, so why not ableton? i am usually very patient about such things but when i have accidentally selected everything and had to go outside to deselect, it's a real pisser at times.it interrupts the process.
    it isn't me ( or I) who messes up 'the area' it's the program makers decision not to include such a simple function. also, moving a clip which is selected by accident erases what it gets 'accidentally dropped upon, so off we go with Ctrl + Z and round and around we go.. , it's a workflow killer when you have spent some hours working on something . i have used ableton a long time, it is only small details like this that mystify me. i'm still waiting for that simple answer, why is there no deselect command? thx

6. T4b

T4b Member

filtersweep. As far as I understand, you are well aware of the fact that the selection of automation points is bound to the selected area of the arrangement -- say a clip. So to be able to only drag one automation point you have to deselect the selected clip or bar(s) first.

If I get you right, you are looking for a keyboard shotcut to do so. Well, there is: ESC deselects all clips or bars so you can grab and move a single automation point with your mouse.

edit: err.. why is my answer that bold and italic?