Why is there a Reaper Release anyway ?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by trutzburg, Feb 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Of course I mean the special releases on the sister site.
    Just a disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Cockos. Feel free to bash me for my question.

I used Reaper for several years in the so-called 'Evaluation Mode' before I finally bought it.

But since the evaluation mode was and is fully functional with no restrictions, except one dialog box to close after start, I always wonder why Reaper is cracked.

Does this generosity of the developers not deserve a better treatment ?
    And why would anyone use a cracked version of a software that needs no crack ?

Below I added an image of the 'About Screen' from 2017.
    I was then evaluating reaper for 2706 days, which is about 7 and a half years.

ReaperNag1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Reaper is cracked for those who don't want to see a message saying that you should buy Reaper now because the evaluation is finished,when they open their DAW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. CosmicStorm

CosmicStorm Member

Tbh, as soon as I have my own salary I'll buy the shit out of Reaper! goddamn, I owe them so much

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. chumbo

chumbo Ultrasonic

Same here! As soon as I make any money me off of Reaper, it's going to buying the licence. Well deserved.

6. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

I didn't make any money with it, I bought it since my day job allowed me to do so.
    Anyway, I didn't care about the nag screen, which is not a screen but a box, and which is shown only when you start a session (or reaper ? I don't remember).
    Honestly, I think it is unfair and the wrong signal.With most other products, you have to deal with all kind of problems if you lose your license, and with Reaper you have the Nag Screen as worst-case-scenario.
    And you have no software centers, no Pace Anti-xxxxnacy , no special resident 'drivers', and you can be offline for the most of your time, you do not need to set exceptions for your License managers in your firewall....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

You only launched Reaper 154 times in 7 and a half years!?! :woot: Reaper "auto launches" on system startup on my system at this point :rofl::wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I used it almost 2 years in evaluation mode. And given their update policy, service, and the fact that the 60 dollars I paid were for 2 major updates, I bought it...

I like other DAWS too. I almost buy a license for Samplitude, and for Sonar ... Now I'm glad I didn't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. playtime

playtime Rock Star

REAPER kickstarted my job and career as it is today. As soon as I got first paid job I bought personal license. Cockos team, Justin & Schwa, the forum, the way developers interact directly with their users and listen to their wishes deserves utmost respect. Their fair policy is probably best out there.
    My next payment will be for commercial license. REAPER definitely deserved it from me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I forgot to mention another important reason why I bought Reaper: it's half open, all those themes, all those plugins, macros, that are made and shared by their users, make it very alive and atractive too.

11. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Wait until version 6 is out which should be soon that way you get all v6 AND v7 updates for free.
    I bought it when v5 was released and i got free updates to v6.99

12. Guitarmaniac64

Wait until v6 is out that way you get all updates from v6 AND v7 for free
    I bought reaper when v5 was released and i got free updates until v6.99

13. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Yeah I don't get it either. I can kind of understand why Cakewalk got released, because that one still requires an online account and registration. So, from a "freedom" point of view, the release liberates you from the possible scenario in which they go out of business and have to take down the authentication servers. But in Reaper's case, that is not even an issue. No point in getting that released, honestly. Although I guess there will be some kind of "honor/respect" kind of scene stuff going on that I don't fully understand lol. To be fair, the nag screen can be annoying if you just want to get to your project ASAP. But come on, the developers are so respectable and reasonable, so with the group's frequent statement in the spirit of "respect the good developer", it feels like they should not release Reaper at all as long as the software is the way it is.

14. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I use in evaluation mode. No problems. Just 5 sec screen at the startup. No need to patch/crak etc. Demo is fully functional. Have been using more than 7 years in this mode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. Guitarmaniac64

Its the same with other sharewares not just audiostuff winzip winrar winamp etc ect those could be used for free as long as you wanted but crack groups did crack them anyway i guess it's part of the learning to crack process

16. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Yes I wondered too why the numbers aren't higher, but this was my travel-only private Laptop and I always hibernated/sent it to sleep, woke it up, and very often Reaper continued to work, if I connected the same mini-keyboards like before.

17. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

That is - essentially and in better English - what I meant :wink:

18. ElecTrick

ElecTrick Producer

Reaper is the most configurable DAW outthere, and the fact that you san use it for free as an student is the way to go IMO. Their developers deserves our support.
    Personnally, I'm also waiting for the v6 in order to buy the license ;-)

19. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

$60 Software for 7 years in evaluation mode? I’m so sorry for you.
    Greed at this level must be a painful obsession…

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  20. I’ve been a personal licence holder for Reaper since version one. I bought in to it just to spite the Steinborg and their obsessional march into e-Licenser territory with the dreaded blue dongles.

And what has it delivered, this DAW that doesn’t force you into buying it? It’s always one of the four in any top 5 poll of DAWs. Everybody knows how to use it. It’s as fresh as a vodka aftershave and got more features than you can shake a stick at and it’s still going strong. All with no dongles, no cloud, no passwords, no iLok and no nothing more than a nag screen. So it’s doing something right.

If you use it, support it, just do it. Not least because it keeps the protected DAW makers on their toes.

And don't judge freeloaders. He among you who is without sin and all that. If you can't pay, that's OK.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. Peter Klausener

Peter Klausener Ultrasonic

agree completely