Why is the western music theory almost based on 12-tone equal temperament?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Well, Western theory is based on way more than 12 keys and every orchestral musician plays them, if there is no piano passage or something similar at the same time.
    Aug/dim 4th, aug/ dim 5th, aug/dim 2nds, dimished octaves before cadences, harmonic sevenths in the passing augmented 6th chords and similar are often heard. Check your harmony/ counterpoint books (some of the older manuals up to 20 th century even give the exact tuning of each chord).

2. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

That is absolute baloney.

Absolute bullcrap. A=440. Take all your technology and burn it. The elites are obviously manipulating with it so it makes logical sense for you to disown it.

I guess wiki is run by the elites to and an invalid source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

That article has more about banks than it does about science or music. NOT A SINGLE audio file as a comparison. How hard is it to tune an instrument up 4hz ?

We're talking about a country that doesn't even have a standard mains output frequency causing havoc for Hammond Organs ! We're talkiing about a time when people were still recording onto Wax discs !

I'm not denying the elites love war and all the shiftyness behind money. The two go together. Lots of music technology was developed in part from boffins working on behalf and paid for by the military. Or Vice versa... Discovered and then used by the military. Many many cases.

But i'm going to need much more persuading that A=440 because the elites made it so.

What's worse. A=440 isn't even related to 12TET. You could have 12Tet from any frequency.

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

So now you're arguing that Western music isn't actually limited at all and it's just the piano that sucks? I'm not following your agenda, really, as this thread is about why Western music is the way it is, and all you seem to want to do is pick apart its limitations and spout off about why Eastern hemisphere music systems are so wonderful in comparison. I don't think Western music sums up the human music experience perfectly, but it has certainly given us a tremendous body of excellent work, so I think it's rather serviceable.

I guess Western music is the way it is because of the Illuminati and the white man tryin' to hold us back.

4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

I'm not sure what exactly do you want? Western music is OK, same with the Eastern, Northern and Southern.

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

Deleted.
    I found it. Thank you.:bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
  6. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I really don't know. I have read some theories enunciating when and where our Western scales were agreed upon. But I don't really care. Why don't I care? I was born into a culture where 12 tone equal temperament is normal, so from a point when I was very young, it was all I knew and to this day if I'm humming an original tune, that may become a future composition, it's sure to be standard Western tuning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List