Why is the RME Babyface Pro so expensive??

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by vuuru_keg, May 14, 2019.

1. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

yea i know the question might sound silly, but i really, really dont understand whats so special about the RME Babyface Pro compared to other interfaces, that it carry its rather high price tag?

With UAD Apollos - i get it, you also pay for the plugins and the whole UAD official hardware emulations type thing..
    but with the babyface pro you just get like a mixing software or something and thats it.
    yea im aware that they might have great converters - but still, comparing it to other interfaces - the price is very high for what it offers, unless im missing something here?

There are other interfaces that offer more inputs and options at a lower price like Audient and Focusrite, so im just trying to understand where the RME Babyface stands, and why the price tag for what it is, cus for that price i might as well just get a good pre amp

i currently own the NI Komplete Audio 6 and looking to upgrade, please do share opinions and experience

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

They put the word "Pro" on anything and the price is higher.:rofl::drummer:I looked at this thing and it really is well built and state of the art. Also it does more than a pre-amp. With the quality analog circuits and the pre amps in this, You may find it does an excellent job. What I like best about the pre I have is the ability to adjust the impedance, which does amazing things to the sound of the mic you are using. You know you are going to want both anyway. lol

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

RME also update the drivers forever :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Ikagura

Ikagura Producer

With RME you mostly pay extra money for the quality, compared to other interfaces. I've had Babyface PRO for 2 years now and it's rock solid, both in terms of build quality and drivers. I've dropped it a couple of times on a hard floor and there's still not a single scratch on it. The drivers are also really great, in my experience the best I've used, I can go as low as to 64 samples with about 4-ish ms of delay and there're no dropouts, pops or clicks whatsoever.

The TotalMix FX software you get with it is just bells and whistles, nothing really special about it, nowhere near close to what UAD offers. It has some uses, for example monitoring vocals with reverb on it. But again nothing special, definitely not a selling point, just something extra on top.

I like it, it sounds great, have no regrets spending around £600 for it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. vuuru_keg

thanks for commenting man, but you see, ive had the same experience with my komplete audio 6, its build like a rock and its heavy and feels great, ive dropped it outside on asphalt 2 times, got a few scratches but it still works great.
    as for latency i also dont understand whats so special about the RME as well! i get with my komplete audio 6 - 2ms of delay at 64 samples and no dropouts
    [​IMG]

sure it probably sounds better than the komplete audio 6, but is it worth the price?
    ungh... i hate when i get the urge to upgrade stuff but not sure what to upgrade to haha, the struggle

7. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Why do you have the urge to upgrade? You could just send some money to me!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Who Me

Who Me Producer

You can't really compare the RME babyface pro to an NI interface... :dont:.

RME is far superior in every way...try one for yourself and u won't regret paying the extra...combine it with an ADAT i/o and ur really onto a winner. :winker:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. vuuru_keg

i mean i get where youre coming from and im 100% sure it sounds better... BUT... at what price?
    ive produced and mixed 2 singles that went on radio, recording vocals and guitars with my current interface, so i know how to get a good sound out of a recording - regardless the converters and all that "nerdy" stuff, so from what it looks to me the only change is i get added extra 2ms of delay at 64 samples :rofl:
    it seems that UAD/Audient holds a better value for now :dunno:
    im still waiting for a special 'aha' moment to convince me that the RME is worth it, for me personally, i cant seem to agree on its price tag

10. zpaces

zpaces Producer

I own a RME Babyface Pro and before I owned its predecessor the blue Babyface. I don't want any others anymore. Why? Well it all has been said already! The Babyface Pro is worth every penny. Btw. the Babyface Pro is not a follow up of its previous version. It's a complete re-invention of the Babyface concept.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I think the convincing comes when you try it and find out all the good things about it.
    I'm having Babyface Pro here, and have had RME multiface I and Fireface 800 in the past. They never fail and always deliver pristine quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

I had the NI Audio Kontrol 1, but then NI stopped the supporting and I coudn't use it anymore and so I bought the Babyface and now I have the Babyface Pro. I've chosen RME because I read about how good their drivers are and yes they are..:wink:
    I also like the TotalMix FX software.

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

In regards to RTL, RME is the winner over all. Their Babyface Pro is the absolute best in the USB category.

Here's the DATA
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...erface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

To help understand the DATA http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency2.htm

If you need a well built small interface with ADAT, a better than average sound, USB, the best drivers in the game, and low RTL, there is no known (to me) competition to the Babyface Pro. If you don't, then you don't.

That said, I don't use it. I don't need that.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Because their AD-DA converters are stunning and the best in this price range!! The sound is so transparent and open. I use RME for almost 20 years. I've tried others too...

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

1) totally problem-free drivers with superior performance and low latency
    2) LONG-TERM versatile software support (old interface on new Windows/MacOS, new interface on old Windows/MacOS etc..)
    3) TotalMix FX - basically you're getting software control of internal zero-latency DSP capable of making every hardware input, same amount of software outputs and hardware outputs individually routable, making every output a dedicated AUX, plus zero-latency internal loopback to route inbetween various softwares or hardware gear, and on top of that some basic transparent EQ and Dynamics realtime DSP processing, and some reverb+echo bus

[​IMG]

once you go RME, you can't simply go back to anything else, because that would be a step backward :chilling:

about price though, I'd say RME Fireface UFX II offers better value

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. evolasme

evolasme Producer

Most any audio interface will do what you set
    You can set just about any audio interface to these settings , but what track count you can archive and performance with. said track count is the key. that all comes with. good drivers, great design and quality parts to build the thing. unless you're doing all audio recording with. minimal VSTI and effects the setting above are gonna fall flat on its face, not so with RME but even that has its limits your computer set up has alot to do with it as well.

17. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

18. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Go thunderbolt if you have the chance cause that is more optimal for audio. Presonus Quantum 2 cost $599 and RME Babyface Pro cost $749.00, and Presonus Quantum has lower latency numbers....
    [​IMG]

• List
  19. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Maybe @Ikagura used 44kHz. :unsure: Lower sampling freq, higher latency.

Soundwise it's a bit like with VW and Mercedes. You can of course drive to work with a VW, but does it feel better with a Mercedes? Oh, yes. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

Personally, I'd look for other Audio interfaces instead of the RME stuff. I owned 2 RME Fireface 800's and besides from that goofy name...they sat in my closet until I got rid of them. When I first set them up I was neither impressed about the sound nor the drivers. It doesn't surprise me that they update their drivers a lot! And absolutely not the price (even though I get great prices on gear that most cannot). It was a total bust for me and ended up getting Apogee AD16X's and Rosetta 800/192's. I never looked back.

They are way over priced for what they really do. Can't really understand the fanboy hype over them.

P.S. RME interfaces would never be a pro's choice for second if Prism was too expense for the budget.

21. Willum

Willum Rock Star

deleted, as ninjad