Why is studio one 6 Artist taking 2 hrs (and more sometimes) to export my song?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by VisionSierra, Jul 9, 2023.

1. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Its gotta be a bug in the DAW for sure. and it make zero sense to be anything else. Because I've used cracked copies in the past of the Professional version, taken from the sister site just to test the DAW out before I would buy it one day and the same exact thing has happened as I am experiencing now. But the current copy of S1 I use now I got a legitimately from Presonus' site. :dunno:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Like @OOM said, try to check "real time" and see what happens

3. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Did that. It works, sometimes, but what "real time" essentially does is it prints/captures the mix in real time. So, if there would be any hiccups in the DAW for some reason you would have to start the process over because those hiccups get recorded into the file.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

You don't actually have that many different plugins in the project. I would check rendering the project with all the plugins bypassed first. Then I would disable/bypass them one plugin at a time, for all instances of that plugin. You could try doing all Omnispheres first, then Stylus RMXs. You should see normal render time when you disable any problematic plugins. Hit cancel when you see the hours long export times. The bounced file is not important, it is insuring that none of your plugins are causing this. Then blame the DAW software.

For the FX I would start with that BassRider plugin. That kind of plugin is rendering that channel based off audio coming into the plugin. Like the lookahead of a compressor.

The VOX plugins, are these Antares? How many of these plugins are subscription services? I would try disabling all those. You could narrow this down pretty quickly. Its not even that many channels.

5. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Processing in real-time is just letting Studio One know to play back the finished song and record what it hears. If you don’t select real-time processing, Studio One will try to do everything as fast as possible and sometimes bites off a bit more than it can deal with, sometimes resulting in mistakes (tracks or vst effects out of sync) or glitches & failures (clicks and pops). Not sure what "hiccups" you mean during real-time processing. If you would care to elaborate, I might be able to help. But, if you are referring to problems with clipping during your export then that is most likely an issue with your mix and not the actual DAW itself. Have you tried bouncing everything to audio before exporting? Are you exporting to an external device? Are any other programs running in the background? Your export issue certainly is a strange one, but if exporting in real-time works "sometimes" then I'd say that's better than it taking a rather drawn-out, tedious amount of time.

6. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

"Hiccups". As in the occasional clicks and pops, skips, cpu spikes, happen as the real-time export is processing. All of those "Hiccups" get printed onto the final exported file. I've had this happen on not so powerful computers in the past. Before I got my Mac Studio.

7. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Most likely the clicks, pops, skips and CPU spikes were due to your not-so-powerful computer not being able to handle the amount of processing it had to do and shouldn't really occur on your new Mac Studio.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Not usually, when you are rendering an export not "in-realtime". The bounce just takes longer for the computer to process it; no matter what it is. I have projects that would barely play on my macbook pro in Logic. When you bounce, no problem with the audio whatsoever. This is why bouncing and freezing can help on a really big project. You can disable plugins/effects on channels and keep working. Think like 50 stems, five minutes long, 5+gb of waveform data inside the project.

This thread on their forum is the same issue for a number of users. I do not see where they tried reinstalling like @No Avenger recommended on the page before this one: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?t=51209&p=301047

But this even illustrates why it would be better to run Logic anyway. Instead of 15 posts and people giving up, the thread would be 180 pages and would continue growing every day until Apple fixed it. There are so few Studio One users on Mac, very few people will have the problem and Presonus can just ignore them and go back to working on new features before fixing broken stuff.

9. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Ok... So whats really odd is I fixed the issue temporarily by disabling all the instruments on the left side of the mixer, enabled them again, and now the song exports in real time. Real time as in the actual duration of the song. I'm not sure why or how that was the "fix". for now But Presonus definitely needs to look into this and make it a permanent fix. Because I have to do this every time I export a song unfortunately, and this shouldn't be the case.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Are any of the plugins (on the one side) in the project Demo software, or plugins which may have time-bombed? I mean any plugin which works ok for 10 minutes and starts doing noise/static because that is the plugin's evaluation period? If not, it's a S1 problem for certain. The work-around you found really shouldn't fix anything.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  11. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

No demo versions. They are all full version copies

12. MdB

MdB Guest

[Troll Mode ON]

Get a Mac

[Troll Mode OFF]

edit : 439.4ms , great latency by the way

13. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Read the post description :bleh:

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

Actually this comment might help you. Either your audio interface or Studio One is reporting latency incorrectly, or causing latency that high. Obviously not the Mac's resources.

Your external audio interface does not need to be connected for your DAW to do an export. Try doing the export you were having the problem with, but with your external audio interface disconnected or powered off.

15. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Not using an interface as and output from my DAW. I use an app called "SoundSource". It lets me output all the apps I have installed to any output I want. I use the app mainly to connect my airpods to hear how my mixes sound on them. So, essentially, my interface would off whenever I export. This is probably why you are seeing such high latency.

16. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Untick MP3 and try exporting just the Wave file.

17. Sunkas B

Sunkas B Noisemaker

I have this problem all the time on studio one 6 (intel processor though). For me it always seems to work if I shut down the program, and when I restart it it’ll export things at a much faster speed. (Like 2 minutes instead of 2 days….:)
    Have a feeling it has something to do with studio ones cache or something like that, but could be completely wrong. I would also try going the real time route, recording the track onto a stereo track in the session, that way you can reprint just a small part if ever there is a click or cpu spike .
    Good luck!

• List
  18. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Doesn't fix the issue. Same thing occurs

19. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Have you tried switching directly to your sound device within Studio One and exporting it with that enabled (i.e. bypass the app)?

• List
  20. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

I did. its the same.