Why is studio one 6 Artist taking 2 hrs (and more sometimes) to export my song?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by VisionSierra, Jul 9, 2023.

1. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

I have a brand new 2023 M2 Mac Studio. This shouldn't be happening. This is insane!

https://ibb.co/Bn8CjkD

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. BiG Pluck

BiG Pluck Kapellmeister

Turn off Gorilla Mode:rofl:

4. lordasthma

lordasthma Newbie

Can you show your export settings?

5. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

Do you have any non-native plugins enabled in the session? Maybe it could be that, or some plugin using extreme offline oversampling settings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

are you running any other programs in the background? name some of the vst's that you are using in that project ....this is weird i never seen this one before

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Why are you converting it to 16 bit 48Khz? Export between loop? This should be Between Markers, no? Bouncing to MP3 copy also, instead of using DBpoweramp? Write permissions to the drive you are exporting to? No filename in export settings window?

Even with that in mind, it shouldn't take any longer than the same operations in Logic. Unless you do a realtime bounce, it should almost never take longer than the song is. De-Mixing it using a stem separation software probably would not even take this long.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Nothing of this is a valid reason why an export should be extended to over 2 hours, not even close - unless the song is ~ 1,5 hours.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I wouldn't imagine they would, normally; but maybe a less common setting could contain an unnoticed bug. In Studio 1, on a Mac.

Maybe he can show us how fast the new computer is when he fixes it. :winker:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Have you tried to "use realtime processing' when exporting? See if that makes any difference?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

He neglected to mention he has 50 UAD plugins running in series and is rendering to/from a cloud server.:rofl:

13. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

Maybe you moved something out of the way to some insane place on the timeline, and it exports a region much larger than your actual song?

14. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

The right Locator used for the export would show being out there in the export settings popup window in the Duration value, even if it is not being used. Maybe they do this to pressure you into an upgrade version. :no:.

What is the difference between Studio One Artist and Pro?
    Studio One Artist is the entry-level version and is aimed at home users and hobbyists. Studio One Producer is aimed at semi-professional users such as musicians and small studios. Studio One Professional is aimed at professional users such as audio engineers and producers.Dec 25, 2022

16. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

This is my project/plugins on the specific project that takes 2 hrs to export for those wondering, and can find a solution. I mainly work with midi only. Doesnt seem like much to me :dunno:

https://ibb.co/ynLNkk2

17. lordasthma

lordasthma Newbie

Have you tried to export another project? I've had it before where a particular project has issues and takes forever to load (can't remember if it took ages to export). I reckon one or more of your VSTI's are not reporting to S1 properly. Maybe try bouncing the tracks and also try a different project.

Also all of your settings look fine (same as mine). If you don't need a WAV file then turn it off. WAV does take longer to export than MP3

18. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

I only export WAV in case the client likes that specific mix I export, for submitting to Distribution services. its really odd... I had happen years ago on my older intel macs as well. With S1 5... 4 seamed to be pretty stable.

19. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Seems that it is a bug with the DAW, something PS needs to fix.

See Above:

Has nothing to do with MacOS or the chipset... seems to happen to others and not just you. Presonus will patch it eventually, maybe....

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

Why would a .wav file export take longer than an mp3? Doesn't this DAW render the project to wav first, and then encodes it to mp3? Why would a direct render to mp3 ever be faster? In Logic (and any other I have used) when you export both wav and mp3, the first progress bar is always the wav render, and then a second progress bar for the mp3 encoding and save. It may seem faster, but thats only because it is only doing the encoding of an existing stereo waveform.

Logic does not use VST plugins and uses AU (apple's audio unit plugin format). Ableton can use AU plugins, or so i have read. Most formats can be used in BlueCats Audio Patchwork, should no AU be available; which I cannot name an example of it offhand.

Why would you choose to use a DAW with VST plugin format instead of AU? If you want 2 DAW applications with one of them for each format; it means your plugin folders will contain 2 copies of every plugin, wasting space on your system ssd. If you "just have to" run Cubase or Nuendo, or NI hardware like a Komplete Kontrol, it would make some sense. "Bad plugins" have been trending on here lately, with every one of them being a VST(i); and them getting blamed for some wild stuff.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  21. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

My thought, as long as you can play it in real time, there's a severe bug going on during export. Even if every single plugin would be set to 8x oversampling during render, this is waaay too long. My suggestion, uninstall SO completely (including every trace in the registry) and install it again (if it's either legit or from reliable sources - otherwise get a new copy).