Why is Ozone 8 clipping?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by EAR TO LEARN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

I've been trying to use ozone 8 in the final insert of a mastering chain and I keep finding that it clips even with a limiter on the final insert...Can anyone tell me why this is happening? thanks

EDIT: A very vague OP from a very tired user...Apologies from a very tired user. I'll figure this out myself, thank you to anybody that has pitched in anyways. I'll take all of your advice into account, Peace :thanks:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Ozone is not the problem ,basically you fucked up something in your so called chain, I would suggest that you m/s each channel of your DAW and find the one that is causing that to happen and dial it down or you can simply take the material and start over. I also have this problem in the past and simply mixing it all down again can be a winner. If you have the time to ask here , why not take the same amount of time and figure it all out on you own, it's literally just a few channels that are causing that to happen, A bit of volume control will really help you.louder does not make
    it better

4. Jambuw

Jambuw Member

That was brutal....haha

5. darthloud

darthloud Producer

clip because some peak frequency of your mix is causing this. To solve, you have to find out which instrument is causing this. the mute button can help you with that. or if you can not find it. you activate the true peak in the ozone maximazer. so it will stop clip surely

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

7. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

are you exporting to mp3? if you are, you should set the limiter's ceiling to -1.1

8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

True-Peak limiting on?
    Ceiling for wav/flac below 0 dB?
    Ceiling for lossy formats (mp3, for example) below -1dB?
    Output volume set on 0dB?
    Be sure input is OK and gain reduction is about 2-3dB and character of Ozone limiter is not 0 (it is like hard clipping or so). Usually for heavy distorted music a la rock, metal, most of EDM etc gain reduction may be higher.

If all answer are YES - technically it should be good/perfect.
    If sonically (you hear clipping), something wrong with mixing, recorded stuff, adjustments....

starting point for ya)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Not brutal at all , just an honest opinion. Complaining about clipping at the end of the chain is pointless, The software has nothing to do with it, it's the input into Ozone that counts and if that is fucked up then something needs to be fixed. Not a complicated thing to understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

no...why...wtf...honest opinion which make much sense is not brutal...but todays young ppl seem bla²
    i be glad someone talks without filter to me...

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

get into gain staging

12. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

What?? No filter? O.k. then. filter off. Your kitty is creepy. :mates:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

:sad:
    :rofl::mates:

14. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

You've clearly had a bad day or something so I won't assume you're as big of a cunt as your post indicates...Cheer up :wink:

15. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Nope ,I had a typical great day. Sorry if you took my criticism harshly but come on, With out the genre, the actual piece of material to reference , you are literally pissing against the wind. clipping should be the very least of your worries. Seems from I understand and your very vague question, Something is wrong with your chain. All I suggest is that you work through each Channel via Solo and mute to find the one that is fucking up your mix and if that does not work , well... at best you maybe be able to save the Stereo master but since you are already having problems with all of that , it might be time to stop blaming Ozone and you really need to look into your individual tracks and FX busses. As an Mastering engineer I highly disagree that it's Ozone fault. sorry if I offended you with my very frank and straightforward response. My old school is Bob katz, he literally wrote the book on Mastering and I was blessed enough to intern for him and one of the things he always drilled into us students is alway make sure the input is not HOT on any channel. something as simple as an FX buss can change everything. Ozone is not your problem!! It's what you are feeding in to it that is

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

I'll start off by apologizing, my comment was just as harsh. We clearly got off on the wrong foot. I'll accept my OP wasn't as detailed as it should be...The input going into Ozone seems fine from what I can tell. However, I will look into every individual channel and go over everything first thing in the morning...

Have to say in the nicest way possible that I'm jealous you got to work with such a legend in the business. Must have been one heck of an experience...Please accept my humble apology and thank you for clarifying your original response. All the best

17. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Best Answer
    No need to apologize but do thank you for that, Have you tried checking out the frequencies? Little things as such can really fuck things up. I'm more of an EDM guy and have to deal with that problem a lot , a good Meter plug may help, Not saying that would isolate the problem but sure will point you in the direction of what you are looking for, Music in General is easy, simple musical CHORDS and music code but getting your mix all on point is a whole another deal , that takes ears and patiences In all reality Music is nothing more than organized noise, fuck all I had to say and just be you, Oh and OZONE is very overrated, best thing is to make your own Chains , make it your own!! With out any of that , music would be really boring

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

I took a look at what I was doing and noticed my maag eq was peaking a little (I like the air knob) but not the input of ozone I was running after pulling the threshold back up on the limiter and applying -1dB of trim on the maag before it the problem was solved...Once again thank you for taking the time out to help me even after my rude response...Sorry for being such a noob

19. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

hehe Mykal is awesome, don't take his way of posting to heart he can help you out alot but yah gtta know his style :metal:

20. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Ok, let's get to the real questions.

<<<<<<< What about my dog?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I think that's a Low Pass Filter after all. Try High Pass Filter instead. :wink: :rofl: