Why I can't drag and drop nki files from the desktop into Kontakt?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Ellin, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Hi all,
    I'm going from XP to Win 8.1...
    Before, with XP, I could open a folder on the desktop, choose a nki instrument, and load it by dragging it with the mouse in Kontakt.
    Now, with Windows 8, "drag and drop" from the desktop to Kontakt no longer works!
    Why?!?
    I have hundreds of folders, and try a sound browsing from the desktop was the quickest way to find it.
    Now, what I should do? Navigate from Kontakt browser and take 10 minutes to find a file that from desktopo find in 10 seconds? ...
    I hope not...

3. remix

remix Platinum Record

Maybe you need admin rights or something???

never used Windows 8 tbh...

4. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

I believe it is because Kontakt (if you're just using the standalone version) or your DAW (if you're using the VST Plugin version) may be running as Administrator. In Windows 8 and 10 Windows Explorer doesn't run as Admin, so that makes it impossible to drag 'n drop anything in/on a program that does run as admin. The only solution that I know of is to not run the DAW in Administrator mode. Maybe someone else knows another solution.

5. F3r

F3r Producer

solved? yes .. you need admin rights.. or when you ARE in MODE adm. dont let you doing, this crap pf windows :(

6. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

lol, I always assumed it has to do with the app compatibility mode or a bit-bridge when running 32bit stuff on 64bit win os - had similar situation on osx 10.6 running rosetta ppc emulator. but running a USER app on a USER account and not being able dragging files from USERs desktop really doesnt make any sense :rofl:

7. dame

dame Newbie

why not just use the browser in kontakt...just asking

8. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Don't run Kontakt with admin rights.

9. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Thanks all for the advice! It is exactly this the problem, occurs because I performed the vst-host as an administrator ... checked off "run as administrator" everything started to work regularly ...But how many things we have to know in order to do a little 'music in peace? ...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  10. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Kontakt 3 had wonderful tool that built the library database with a simple scan of HD, and all the nki, multis and banks were consulted from the File menu of Kontakt.
    By Kontakt 4 the system have changed, and the current one is more complicated, and does not fit with large libraries, and then it's very invasive: fills the hd with secondary files (I think one for each instrument!) ... Or maybe I that I did not understand how to use it?

11. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Hey men, I update you on the discover of these days.
    Windows 8 puts many barriers on permissions to run the programs, but there is a secret mode, called "Super Admin" that is activated by a specific command-line from cmd.exe. Activating this mode ALL Windows runs as admin, even those programs, like Explorer.exe, that in the normal mode are not admin. By starting this mode, everything works perfectly without access restrictions.
    I hope this encourages helpful to all users of Windows 8!