Why History Is Deleted After Closing Safari - El Cap

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by GreatJobChamp, Mar 1, 2017.

1. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Ok this is frickin ridiculous...

Every time I close Safari, the history is deleted?.. I cannot seem to find any preference parameter that allows me to keep Safari - history info AFTER I close and reopen it.

Like in Mavericks or on PC's for example, the history data just continues to be kept whether opening or closing browsers... is this seriously NOT AN OPTION in El Capitan?.

I tried searching for answers but seemed to come up empty.

ANy info "AS" people?

3. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

It sounds like you have a corrupted history/db related file as it should work fine... so, to fix things...

Follow these instructions exactly as written.

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Safari

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "Safari" should open. Quit Safari if it's running. One or more files in the open folder should have a name beginning in "History". Move those files, and only those, to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the files you moved back where they were, overwriting the ones that may have been created in their place. Otherwise, delete the files you moved. The browser history will be empty.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Got the same problem, actually the Safari version that comes with vanilla ElCap (10.11, no updates) is buggy as hell. It always crashes after a while, seems unrelated to websites, and the history issue in my case wasn't a problem with the history database:
    Choosing History > "Reopen all windows from last session" *does* actually work. It just seems Safari won't evaluate the setting under File > Preferences > General > Safari opens with: .

Best solution is probably to install the latest Safari version for ElCap either from App Store or as part of the Security Updates Pack. You can download both from Apple.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

@fiction

While what you say is perfectly true......

If the OP has a corrupted History/DB file then simply installing the latest version will not usually fix the history deletion issue.. He/she will still need to follow the instructions I gave in my original post to resolve that particular issue

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

those who delete history are doomed to repeat it.

7. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

I figured it out... one of two things fixed it:

1) the fact I updated to Safari v.10.0.3,

or

2) I unchecked box here:

System Preferences > General > "Close windows when quitting app"

Oddly as well, once I did that, not only did today's history continue to be displayed (after closing Safari and reopening) but all of a sudden the past 7-day's of history was uncovered as well!

Perhaps I checked this box when messing around with troubleshooting a way to stop Cableguys "Shaper Box" gui from always opening up blank in Ableton.

Thank you all for offering tips :wink: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :wink:

especially Herr Fusion :D