Why even get new sample Packs?

Discussion in 'samples' started by ArticStorm, Aug 6, 2021.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

In the last months i found this huge Library of old drum machine samples. Dunno it has all the classic drum samples im looking for - for ages. The samples are unprocessed and not overworked like many of the samples you get from Packs?

Also does everybody just recycle old drum machine samples and EQ them a bit, add a compressor on top and release them?

Honestly i wouldnt pay a dime to get now any new packs ...

Maybe for the FX samples, but everything else is all the same over and over in a more unusable way ...

Unless its people actual getting down and creating new samples in Synths, Drum machines - i would love that. But well most of the TR's of the past are just a signature sound - so why grab something else?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

I would tend to agree. I've pretty much accumulated all the types of drum sounds I need and it's no problem to just do some eq, compression, or saturation to make it fit to what I need. However I am curious about this sample pack you speak of. Would you mind posting a link here? Or if it's from the sister site, send me a PM? Thanks.

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I assume they either don't know how to process them or they (think they) don't have the time to do it.

5. Ikagura

Ikagura Producer

I'm not 100% sure but I think ArticStorm might be referring to This Collection, as it has been posted on this forum couple of times.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. ArticStorm

its really just a collection of old Drum Machine recordings, mostly one shots. Which you can find looking around the web. It is not a sample pack on its own ...

I for example talk about Vengeance - even their newer Sample cds had recycle lots of older samples, which were already released on many older packs already. (also vengeance stolen/sampled a lot of samples from records).

I downloaded a lot of sample cds by vengeance (nearly the full collection), lots of classic 90s Sample CDs, Wave Alchemy, Goldbaby, RIemann Kollektion, etc almost everything i could find ...

but most of the time, its all the same ...

And some random ones on the sister page of course ...

There are probably only a few companies out there, bringing out new sample content in terms of drums.

7. ArticStorm

yeah tried to find the page right now. Dunno it does the job for me simply. It has so many iconic, inspiring samples in a clean unprocessed manner ...
    It has everything for me, such a small pack (in size), but yet all kinds of samples.

I even sampled some M1 kits from the KORG M1 VST. (I know KORG didnt quite get the Filters to sound like the hardware, but still) it is amazing.

8. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Thanks for linking these @Ikagura. I agree with Arctic. If you find samples that are not over processed leaving room for you to do it yourself then you cling onto them. Some people associate these types of samples with bad quality but it's really just letting you do it your own way.

Compressing an already compressed sample won't necessarily making it sound better. Which is what happens when people take sounds then start processing a chain on top of the chain that's already inside the sample already.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

@ArticStorm, going out on a limb here from the old samples I have left over from when I used to use Reason 5, but could it be Erkan's Organised Drum Samples at all? I still have that whole lib left over from when I used to samples. I know there's some classic samples in that pack. The whole thing I have is 1.02 GB. Over 1,400 drums samples on there. Not all samples from drum machines, though.

I feel I may be pissing in the wind with this, but I'm certain I know the pack that you're talking about.

If it's not that, I'll try my best to hunt it down.

Edit: Seeing your latest comment, it's not what I've just said about.

On the hunt.

Edit #2. In response to you asking if people recycle old drum machine sample: Nah, I used to use samples when I was using Reason. Same as .rex files. Now my thing is all about building and sculpting my own kits/beats. Superior Drummer 3 for kits that sound "real", and tweak them for my needs, anything digital, Heartbeat by Softube. Really nice vintage sounds.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  10. ArticStorm

I think i have a collection of Erkan. Very good cymbal samples if i remember?!

11. Parasite-B

Yeah, there are some very cymbals in that pack. Some really nice bass drums, too. Always went to the Paramore kick drum for Redrum. Damn, really quite miss working with Reason. Crazy how far DAW's have come along since then.

12. ArticStorm

exactly what i mean.

I dont understand why these should be low quality? I mean if i resample them into a sample pack and just add better quality (44.1 --> 48 or make mono sound into stereo? or well when the drum achien itself only has ~22 quality?). The sample itself would be still be low quality right?

And most of these classic samples are simply low quality right from the start, but this adds for me to the uniqueness.
    I mean if you take the closed hihat sample from the CR78, it just does it for me or the this clave sample. Ohh and when you go through records you can even find these samples. I wondered for years where these came from ...

It was really an eye opener for me. But it makes so much sense to jsut sample the drum machines once and then use them for cheap ...
    But it somewhat alienated for me, with bringing sample packs out, where you take a bunch of these samples and just rerelease them as your own ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. genophyte

genophyte Producer

slightly offtopic but does anybody know of a loop/sample company named spurgle/splurgle ?

i got as many free demo packs as possible many years back , and when i finally had money to spend years later i couldnt find any trace of the website or loops.

specifically their punk guitar pack that was right up my alley
    https://voca.ro/1mlK4QHRxhN8

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • List

Attached Files:

14. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Well people think that because it might be lower in volume or unprocessed like the other samples they are used to getting which takes most the work out for them. Then they end up just avoiding or skipping over those samples. I see it all the time, processed ear candy always gets picked over samples that sound inferior to them at first glance.

It goes back to instant gratification, processing them takes time to get them to sound like these other ones that sound like a finished record already. It's not even about them sounding less quality more than that's how they are perceived when a producer is selecting his samples. They aren't worse than processed samples, they are simply just not processed yet.

It's Direct signals vs processed chains. A direct signal could be come processed but an already processed sample mostly has the potential to just be overprocessed. There's a reason mixing/mastering engineers don't want your limiter at the end of your chain. They just want an example of it so you can preserve the room for them to become processed by the engineer.

If you take out all of the headroom then you're probably still in a bedroom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  15. Parasite-B

You can add to, and process a sample as much as you like, but it will never change the quality of the initial sample. Never. That's not how things work. You can't upscale audio.

16. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Exactly, you can't really make something that is shit, suddenly good. For there are no flowers in my turd. The DI has to be good first. But to most it seems that; quieter = shittier. So things are glanced over especially when they aren't very experienced yet.

"This one sounds better to me. So it must be better" Sometimes the deciding factor is literally 3db between whack potential and potentially whack when the vol fader could have saved their day.

They aren't thinking through the sample they chose had 5 plugins jump into it previously and so he goes off adding 6 more plugins because that's just a day in the life of a producer in his episode of MTV Cribs. They process it anyways because it's the protocol they think they should follow.

You can make a good DI better but you can't make a shit not stink with no amount of air freshener.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. clone

clone Audiosexual

When I am working on a track, a lot of times I will decide to "let it go where it wants". This includes sometimes searching my library by either BPM or Key, and then randomly auditioning them. The more files in the pool, the higher probability of ending up with something to add to the project and get things moving along again. That is for loops only; I am more specific when selecting any drum one shots.

I use the Color Tags in MacOS Finder a lot, to mark loops when I am auditioning new samples.
    It helps mark stuff you know you would like to find a use for. You can also sort by Tag Color then.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  18. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

3 times already I found 707 kicks from different sample pack with 99% identical waveform and sometimes I wonder what is the odd the drum machine actually producing the same waveform of sound and it's been recorded by two different people using different machines at different part of the worlds at different time using different converter and different electrical hum etc. Recycle it is.

19. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Now that is just watching a guy straight take a whole slice of pizza out your box through your door cam when he's supposedly delivering it to you. Some people just say "it will have to do since they are no big tipper"

20. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

But if push came to shove, I'd rather deliver man take a slice of pizza than leave a pube on the wholeness of my pizza. A cloned sample is deletable but a pube sample is non transferable.

• List
  21. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

You know what? I didn't read a SINGLE post in this thread. VERY good question.
    I quit acquiring new sample libraries AGES ago. Now that's not to say that
    if I see some bits and bobs that intrigue me.....I might bite. But seriously tho, I'm
    not frikkin' Hans Simmer! I'm just a crusty old heavy psych rocker. I have a marvelous
    library for my own needs. Frankly, it kind of pisses me off that companies like like
    NI, (and god knows I could name dozens more), have turned their attention from
    VSTi's to sample packs. NI provides a great example... B4 was great in it's day.But...its
    replacement, the Vintage Organ collection for Kontakt is weak as dish water! There are
    freeware B3 emus. And most collections these days are HUGE. Aside from that,
    many "sample libraries" are just collections of loops marketed to kiddies with iPhones
    that believe pasting together the work of ACTUAL musicians somehow makes them
    producers......FEH.

I kind of feel the same way about hardware. I'm really getting over of looking for that
    next "big thing". It's time to really dig into what I have. Find out what really trips my
    trigger and sell the rest.....so I can buy the next BIG THING......LOL!![​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List