Why don't you essentially like some genres of music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I understand, give me some criteria about what you want the music to be like and i will create it for you.
    do you want me to make something that sounds like nothing else you really hear before? or different than that?

2. foster911

foster911 Guest

Anything new that I can't put it in any known category. For me the atmosphere (not necessarily exotic soundscapes) is more important than the music language you're talking about.

3. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

i look for good vibes in a track, whether it be atmospheric, or meaningful. the ideas/structure/skills/ creativity. i make house/tech house/techno. not a fan of the "edm" /commercial big room stuff. some might say "house/ techno" is edm, i'd like to differ on that, there was no such thing as "edm" back in the 80s/90s. i feel all this edm stuff is not creative at all, it all sounds the same,most even use and share the same samples/ patches. theres tons of tracks/ "artists" in the edm scene that just grab loops from sample packs and dont do anything to make it original. we're at a point where all the tools to be original are in front of us,some rather take the short cut thinking it goes unknown. someone should start a youtube channel exposing some of these people, showing where the sample and loops come from , right down to the company who makes the samples and what part of the track they show up.

i also look for the way a track is mixed/mastered,a track could be nice, but if the mix/master is crap then thats a big let down as well.

----
    gotta listen to some pink floyd now, i've never used the term "edm" so much before.

4. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

maybe im misunderstanding, but you saying there was no such thing as electronic dance music in the 90's? and that "house" is not electronic dance music?

for FOSTER911 im going to make you something fine sir.

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

There're thousands of emotions and moods inside the humans like:

abhorrence
    ability
    abiding
    annoyance
    anxiety
    assistance

Music has to talk about them and envisions and envisages those worlds. Do you think "Dancing" is the only thing that music should aim at? I don't say that electronic dance genres have been made with just that function in mind but I think all the feelings humans experiment in their lives need to be proceeded and talked through by music. Music has a great potential.

Music = Life (real or imaginary) ≠ just Dancing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2018
  6. Like who?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I thought you IGNORED me ?
    I apologize if i hurt your feelings and removed my socially reaction.
    Do you feel better now?, please remove your 'nasty' reaction as well ;)
    No I don't listen to such kind of music anymore, thats more my vibe:

In general I prefer music with less vocals, except some sexy girl voices.
    Probably it's due to the drugs I prefer. :winker:
    20 Years ago I listed to Drum and Bass and went to parties and danced alot :)
    But then it became easier to dance to trip hop :)
    Later I discovered the peaceful athmosphere of Goa parties which opened a whole new world to me. From that on I even liked 4on-the-floor music . (before that brekbeats only!)

Hope anything is fine again between us, peace, bro :bow:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. spyfx

spyfx Guest

@huschiwuschi you mentioned phytrance,breakbeat & trip hop here :bow:
    We have a lot in common :bow:
    Thank you :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

quite strange that we have to find each other this way :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

personally i dont like foul language and cursing in music ,and im not a musical priest either lol
    its just my taste in listening to great tunes and extremely talented vocalists without destroying my ears
    with mtv toplist garbage and their puppets (poor kids)

music should be about vocalists executing their senses on mic,and express their feelings through speakers
    and melodies that blend with their chords,if thats not what the music is all about then im wasting my time collecting albums and mp3s

as for music today,meh...but i still find something on rare occasion ,i would hear something original and classical
    like it was made in the 80s ,but other than that,i listen to my own productions only

12. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

@hani king problem nowadays is market saturation.

There are more and more ppl making music (good thing) BUT there are a handful ppl filtering this music, only to keep the more "bankable" ones.
    Less and less "mainstream" artists. More and more artists exposed to the world by Spotify, Youtube, Bandcamp...
    Contradiction you said ? :wink:

There is no place in the market for them. But there is certainly a place for artists all around the world, because EVERY human is an artist.
    That's my "universal communist" vision (nothing to do with USSR/China...) , when world was not separated into categories BUT everyone could be a man, an husband, a father, an hunter, an artist... all at once. Same for women. Only humans, not categories.

So at the end, our only choice is between searching endlessly for good music among too many artists OR listening to mainstream filtered garbage.

Algorithmes are now taking control to find FOR YOU what you could like or not.
    I listen a lot on Spotify, as a personal example.
    Downside ? Echo AND Ego chamber syndrome (and you can even find it on this whole thread).

In this echo chamber, it is VERY hard to find something different : almost all the world resonate into the same music.

A little taste of global music downfall and market share :
    http://www.popvortex.com/music/charts/top-20-itunes-songs.php

13. Blorg

Blorg Producer

?
    [​IMG]

14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@huschiwuschi and @spyfx
    I wasn't supposed to reply to this thread, as i find the originator of it to be highly irritating on certain occasions and ignored him for sometime now, i know he's not a bad guy, he has just elevated the trolling concept to a stratospheric level ehehe.
    Nevertheless, your example shows me i can too be more tolerant, so i now admittedly lift that "Foster embargo". Nice one guys :)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I learned my lessen as well. It makes sense to think first before provoking socially reactions :) In the end most of us just want to have a great time here and talk to each other. It is so easy to misunderstand each other by written texts :)Have a great Weekend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. spyfx

spyfx Guest

this ^ :yes: ,i agree 100 % :bow:

Have a great Weekend too :wink:

17. spyfx

spyfx Guest

@taskforce long time wanted to say a big thanks to you,for all the knowledge & contribution you bring to this forum :wink: :bow:

18. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Why don't I essentially like some threads in here?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. spyfx

spyfx Guest

In ancient Greece every argument between friends or not had to be resolved before sunset...

All music genres have something to contribute to our journey on this planet.

I would like to add the "genre" of nature,,,rain & raindrops,the music of the birds,the rivers,the fire in a silent winter,the play between wind & trees in a forest...you get the idea.

I just got inspired to make an ambient/phybient album,only with absynth & its sound design capabilities...
    wish me luck..

i hope my thoughts won't bother anyone & thanks for reading this.

:bow:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Human beings consider being "shallow" when you look at the surface but not look deeper at something.
    this is important with music also, you have what is on the surface and you have a deeper level.
    i look for what i like in music even if only one thing about it i like
    that is what i look for in many genres, styles, songs, soundtracks.

if you are a creator of music, and you look for what you like in all of what you hear
    you get a clear picture of taste and style for yourself as an artist and musician .

for me listening to music is a learning experience because cultivation by listening is maybe the most important aspect as a music creator.