Why don't you essentially like some genres of music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Feb 5, 2018.

1. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Because I'm too old to integrate forms of expression that have no bearing on my life. So I have no affinity for artists expressing life in gangs and ghettos nor rappers driving Lamborghinis draped in fur, dripping with gold jewelry while bikini clad females appear to be cast in a subservient role as prostitutes hoping for a share of the large wads of cash thrown about by some guy talking down to the rest of us telling us "how it fuckin' really is, you goddamn mutha fuckers" I don't think the greatest lyricists of recent years, Bob Dylan orJohn Lennon ever needed to use profanity, while composing "Like A Rolling Stone" or "Imagine"
    You may disagree, but I am certain history will prove you wrong.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  2. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

If this was in response to my "chop for hip hop" quote I was actually referring to the breakbeat dj genre which structured the jazz melodies in a more appealing way to me, and was less rap centralized but I get your point. I like jazz because I can take a date to a jazz club and pretend I'm smart enough to absorb the jazz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

and unfortunately wrong genres and styles (unbelievably unlimited) choke this emotion.:sad:

6. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

This tread : Dozens of messages to explain @foster911 why genre and quality are not necessarily correlated.

How foster ends up misunderstanding the whole thing :
    The gift of crap that keeps on giving.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Jazz is so loosely defined that either nothing is jazz, or everything is.
    Swing? Syncopation? Some Southern redneck music (Little Feat) & Orleans marching band music (Berkley prof on the drums)? jazz!

Huh, that marching band beat ... can break that 4/4 up into two 3/4. And Feat? that's, like ~~punches in some numbers into a calculator~~ roughly 30% swing:wow:
    Gospel/inspirational? Jazz!

Catchy tunes? Jazz!

I mean, I'd *like* to dislike jazz (for the same reason that I'd like to dislike the Dead & the Cure -- can't stand the fandoms), but how does one tell a jazz?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

It's the "shouting" that drives me away from some genres. The vocalists yell, instruments scream, always fff dynamic, no room really for taking a breath. That or extreme repetitiveness.
    That's why I'm more into acoustic genres, which in most cases work more in depth with dynamics and in turn are more interesting to listen to.

Loudness, not just from technical POV, but from performer's perspective, "how loud am I going to play this note in this context?". It's what drives most music forward and what keeps the listener in the zone.
    Recently I'm digging Michael Hedges albums for this reason.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

So much text in this thread, so superficial understanding of music.

Let me add a question to all: Why you like your life partner more when he/she is wearing certain fashion outfits and why? Not talking about the quality of his/hers body or personality, but the clothes themselves.

And even more questions: If a Metallica song is played by a string quartet is still classified as "rock"? What if Metallica plays "What a wonderful world" at their loudest, that would be still jazz?

The genre integration is essentially the "production" segment during the entire process of making a song. It is simply a cosmetic choice of the people involved in the project, it's how they want to "style" their song.

The same way we like/dislike certain fashion pieces, the very same way we like/dislike music genres. It's a matter of culture, personal taste, social pressure (people always like to belong to a group - even the ones that don't want to belong and listen unpopular genres, they are still belonging to the "unpopular music" listeners club -- so don't think for a second that you're special because you're not), mood and countless of other subjective reasons.

And about "evoking emotion" being marked as best answer. Finally I understand why Foster knows too much from the music he don't like and so little of the music he likes: disgust and anger are also emotions and I'll say they can be easily triggered when listening genres we don't like.

But if someone likes to listen genres he dislikes for the sole purpose to feel emotions like anger and disgust, that says a freaking lot about that person. I'm sorry for you mate, chasing and feasting on anger is an even tougher road than chasing happiness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Blorg

Blorg Producer

True, "number one. must evoke emotion" isn't enough, should have elaborated. Something like "...but not just any emotion. no wana feel like I must poop. music makes me want poop bad music; I no like."
    Because a word to the wise is enough, but our differently-enabled friends need to have everything spelled out :)
    The sort of deranged pervert who also watches horror movies & reads tragedies, secreted away in the smelly confines of his filthy secret lair, no doubt. Ooooh, he make me so mad... Monster! He don't belong in this world.

11. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Melancholy, sadness, maby a little anger.. i don't mind genres, but most of the time I find those in darkwave bands.
    But don't ask why, I life a happy life oO

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

Some static ambient tracks might soothe ya :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I have the same reaction to 'eras'. The 60s, the 70s, 80s and so on. These terms, when used to describe an era of music actually have no meaning based on reality whatsoever. Music, fashions and tech that were considered new in one era were in fact innovated during the preceeding era, and continued into the next. I mean, for goodness sake, how can we possibly have a Rock 'n' Roll era (supposedly the 50s) when that genre persists until today; it evolved into other innovations of Rock 'n' Roll such as all the Rock genres and even Pop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Sonos Grammar

Sonos Grammar Newbie

I signed up just to reply to this thread. I got into music at a very early age. In primary school albeit strange for my age I always had headphones in & generally I was listening to rock, I think a compilation album of Alice cooper and Primal Scream and the likes introduced me to it. Queen it's a kind of magic was the first album to give me butterflies I'd never come across music that tells such a story before; I still remember sneaking up to play it on my dads prized hifi system when nobody was home. From then on into my teenage years I felt the heavier music was the more beautiful it became, because I was angry at the world and needed that release. By secondary school I was already a bit of a musical snob & still immersed in rock and heavy metal. In one of my classes I got sat next to someone who had the polar opposite of me, he was known for his hard persona; gradually over the year we opened up, first he showed me his art & noteboooks - that he was scared to show anyone else lest it diminish his reputation & secondly we both tried to introduce each other to each others music. He was into a lot of rap & at the time and I only knew it from the load of shite was on the airwaves like g-unit and 50 cent but I remember him showing me a tupac and biggie smalls song & it began to open my perception. Over the next couple of years I became an avid fan of underground hip hop, I used to think there was no talent behind it but gradually I became aware of the immense and intricate rhythms of the poetry, beats & samples layered behind it. I used to think that electronic music was talentless, until I was introduced to icelandic artists like Mum and efterklang and gradually progressed to artists like Four tet & Bonobo. I began to make music of my own and truly realised how much effort goes into electronic music, when it's done properly I can't think of a higher art form. In the times since I've found something to appreciate in every genre, from simplistic chanti work rhythms to blues to classical to folk to a genre that always baffled me as a young un; Jazz. I think to appreciate jazz you have to be someone who has been immersed fully in some form of music for many years, to feel it & understand the juxtaposition of improvisation and theory, letting yourself loose amongst notes that someone else can follow & which you can then rebound off there perspective is one of the most beautiful things I have witnessed. To me jazz is synonymous with life, the understanding of the rules of living in which we lay but constantly trying to forge our own path whilst taking inspiration from others is what its about

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. A lot of it depends if you were working then. Like for me the seventies was just yesterday, and I can enter into that mindset. I can really empathise with young people who just see the surface archeology of those days. I'd throw it away too if I was young. The thing is at the turn of the sixties into the seventies, Ivor Novello's Keep The Home Fires Burning was as far in past as the Beatle's Sergeant Pepper is from now. One from another age, the other still feels modern in some way. I can't explain that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2018
  16. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

see if you like this friend

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

jazz that everyone can love

it reminds me of, "doing everything the best you can" with a musical idea, like taking a real good motif or riff, and then fully developing it to tell a story.
    this is amazing you must watch!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. frankx

frankx Guest

God you sound so pretentious and boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Wow! frankx has come out guns blazing in his first comment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. frankx

frankx Guest

i'm sorry but people who think they have transcended and think they can create another genre irk me. everything is derived from something else regardless of how unique and genre-less they think the music they're making is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List