why doesnt Reason get mentioned or any love???

Discussion in 'DAW' started by DStefOnTheBeat, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

this won't happen, but it is a great idea imo. look at renoise and their redux vst.. i think that has been well received, it probably is/will be more popular than the full renoise tracker/daw.

2. mcclaine

mcclaine Ultrasonic

I've lost interest in Reason around 2003 or so.
    Like many of you pointed out:
    1) sound was kind of crappy
    2) limited/closed system

I never used Reason alone, ive used with Cubase through rewire, which was a pain in the ass.

So, around 2004 i was just using Cubase with VSTs, and in 2008 i switched to Ableton and never looked back.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

One thing Propellerhead failed with Reason/Record (and they did), another thing is that they´ve actually developed industry standards in the past:

-Recycle wich is a great format (Rex2) and a great editor wich still after many years are industry standard and the basic format for a lot of superb applications like Stylus RMX!

-ReBirth RB-338 that was a brilliant and popular application for making music and was dicontiniued 2005!

Used all Propellerhead applications way back, but the only product Im using these days is Recycle wich I find extremly usefull - mainly because Im still playing with Stylus RMX!

4. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

I've been using Reason since version 1 up till 5, and i really like it's take on Midi tools, as compared to cubase, pro tools, logic, or the handful of other DAWs I've used. However, I've noticed and it's been said numerous times, that the number one problem is the very thin sound that Reason tends to produce. And the treatment i have to give Reason tracks to make them have some balls makes it ultimately not worth the hassle.

Literally the only thing that keeps Reason in my workflow is the Redrum. If some would be kind enough to tell me a drum VSTi that has an interface similar to the Redrum, i would probably stop using Reason altogether. Or at most rarely.

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

There's a somewhat "different" but well-working solution:
    Integrate your iPad with thor and StudioMux installed into your Mac/Win DAW using StudioMux Audio/Midi over USB!
    Thor is one of the best synths on the iPad, until today. And one of the few with perfect MIDI sync for its step sequencer.

6. Config

Config Kapellmeister

LMAO! :D

You all should join their (closed, yep, closed DAW and closed FB group LOL) Rack Extension group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/rackextensionists/
    Quite amusing ;)
    Sometimes you'll see the rants from people about Reason and/or the Rack Extension format then immediately there are some "indoctrinated" Reason fanboys that jumps on it saying Reason is the best thing that happened in their life, Rack Extensions are the best things on earth and they literally beg Propellerhead not to add VST support to Reason.
    Yesterday someone was banned from that group saying "RIP OFF!" on a post for a new sample based (it's all sample based crap lately) Rack Extension LOL.
    If you express anything negativity about Propellerhead or its products you'll know within a minute :D
    It's like Chinese censorship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Config

Config Kapellmeister

True, but ReCycle is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced!
    Half the price of whole Reason, for just a tool to insert loopmarkers with some simple audio editing (filters and transients).
    And they add (kinda) REX creation in Reason since v7.

There are other DAW's that can work with loopmarkers too (not just REX files) these are ACID files (just WAV files quality with additional information, such as loopmarkers)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Nah. If I won't even deal with Rewire, there's no way I'm dealing with mobile devices in the studio lol.

9. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

This I remember really well. They are so afraid of the instability that they think the VST standard brings.
    - But can't you just NOT use any VST then? VST support in itself will not create stability issues... Win win?
    - No!!!

Weird bunch :)

Regardless of their fanbase opinion I don't think they would've added VST support anyway, RE = more money.

Thor is indeed a fine synth, and Malström is one of a kind in the entire industry, but not worth changing DAW for it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  10. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

It would probably end up on audioz, so not a lot, but regardless of piracy, releasing VSTs of everything would still make Reason less attractive, so no it will never ever happen.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Agreed Config! I was lucky to get the Recycle second hand years ago for a few bucks, so Im not complaining :no:

I know a lot of other formats can do nearly the same as the REX format, but as I said: Its the only format you can convert into SAGE-format!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

dude your avatar suits the best for it.

13. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

has @One Reason given us a reason about why we shouldnt use reason? At least one reason from one reason would be reasonable enough in order to help us understand the reasoning behind one reason not using reason...

14. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Not to besmirch reason too extensively, I've combed my mind for something I loved about reason. When you save a project, you can include any samples/patches used within the project within the save file itself. This allows you to take the complete project to any computer running the same version of reason. No refills etc required. I wish I could do the same with a vst based daw on occasion.... But not so often as I would ever consider using reason again hahaha!

15. CricketDub

CricketDub Newbie

Reason has had offline authorization for years now (pretty sure it came about with Reason 7). No need for a dongle anymore.

16. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i believe you have meet one of these 2 conditions:
    • have your codemeter dongle plugged in
    • be online and type in your propellerhead account details at launch of reason
    i think if you can't match either of those, you get forced to live with demo mode. so i don't think we can really call reason dongleless yet. many people still use their DAW computers offline only.

edit: you might be right, but props.com is having trouble authorising my computer, and they are asking me to contact support. but i can't be bothered.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  17. bh1212

bh1212 Noisemaker

Had a nasty breakup - caught her cheating and she had to go.

18. CricketDub

CricketDub Newbie

Yeah um, that's incorrect. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

All you have to do is log into your Prop account one time, authorize your computer, and you're done. You never have to be on the Internet again. No dongle needed, period. Same for Rack Extensions. Buy them, authorize it to your computer, and your done.

There's so much misinformation in this thread it's retarded.

19. Jackaroo

Jackaroo Member

Read the thread from the beginning its about peoples feelings about their experiences with Reason including mine, no need to insult and say we are retarded.:dont:

20. CricketDub

CricketDub Newbie

I didn't say YOU were retarded :dunno:, it's just my opinion and experience reading this thread that some information being posted was retarded. Just the thread (due to the misinformation). But... that's just my opinion.