why doesnt Reason get mentioned or any love???

Discussion in 'DAW' started by DStefOnTheBeat, Nov 15, 2015.

1. DStefOnTheBeat

DStefOnTheBeat Newbie

why doesnt Reason get mentioned or any love???

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

and their good protection! so nobody is using it really.
    people which were hardcore reason user switched to ableton, FL or other daws just to avoid their new good protection and their RE stuff.

in other words, they made things complicated ...

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

no support for VST/VSTIi's

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. Config

Config Kapellmeister

I think because Propellerhead Reason is very limited compared to for example Ableton (with Max for Live).
    Propellerhead also reinvented the wheel with their "Rack Extension" format (which is just VST, scaled to fit in their "racks") instead of just allowing people to use VST's they squeeze hard cash out of the wallets of their users, making them believe Rack Extensions are superiour to VST because they claim it has "crash protection".
    Weird thing is, if you own a VST license i.e. from Softube you'll have to pay for a Rack Extension format version for the same product!

Bitwig has crash protection for VST's as well (sandbox).

Ableton should follow soon with this.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

the first kill shot was the dongle, they lifted it, but people already lost interest.
    2nd was the REs, the concept is just bad, demoing is a mess some people told me.
    you have to wait for your fav vst to get a RE version, its not gonna happen, its just like AAX.
    so you end up going for a cracked other daw, because its more convenient.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I remember using Reason 1 way back in 2000 (OMG, not getting any younger I'm afraid...).

At the time, I enjoyed using it until I realised that it was a completely close system: No VST (instruments or effects) whatsoever and no way to use Giga's sample libs which at the time were all the rage.

So basically I dropped it because it was too much a hassle. Too bad because 15 years later, I still believe that the concept is good. If only they would be opened to the external world...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

In my opinion it's all about the protection.
    nearly every legit software I use is based on a cracked release I installed before.
    Protecting a product so hard to make it nearly uncrackable is the best way to NOT
    make it famous. You can see that on FL Studio, Ableton and even Cubase. Would those
    be as famous as they are nowdays without the cracked releases? I guess not.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Well, while most DAWs share a similar, familiar logic and workflow, Reason itself has a very particular system. I guess this is the basic reason it's not that popular anymore; It refuses to follow the most essential trends and, by doing that, it dramatically reduces its niche. Not a wise move, if you ask me.

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

that's a good point, why people should use a daw wich doesn't support those format or axx, au?

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

the idea reason has is indeed a good concept, the stock things you get a really good, also the cable concept.
    add vst(i) functionality and you are relevant again.

it was relevant before they gone for a dongle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

NO PLUGIN DELAY COMPENSATION.... even for native devices that cause latency. reason 8 is the shit for making music... until it all goes out of time lol
    for me this is the reason, that reason became a kind of modular play ground over rewire, and lost its status as my go to DAW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

They have their cash cow indoctrinated upgradable userbase.. they'll be ok

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

GIVE ME A REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON WHHHAAAAAAAY BEBY!

AH NEED A REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON FOR YO LOVE!

I NEED A REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON TO USE REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Other companies got better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

Funny you should ask that, but what you might not be aware of (or you just haven't put 2 and 2 together) is that many (probably most) of the forum users have come here via audioz. They dongled up Reason a few years ago, it can't be cracked anymore, so... you won't find many here who use it.

Personally I love the Reason UI, it is truly an amazing invention. I used it for a couple of years but the thin sound of Reason always bothered me. Heck, even all the demo songs have that thin sound. So when the dongle finally came, it was time for me to move on.

The dongle came in 5.5 or 6 and has been required since, it has never been lifted.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  17. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

Ive not used it since version 3 for certain reasons 'pun intended :)' I think it was a good start into computer based DAW's if you were used to real gear/racks etc.

But....i also think that because of its real life sort of arrangement its more hassle for people new to music software to learn as its not as simple/familiar as the rest of the software available now that you see tutorials for or learn at college's

As for sounding thin? i've not noticed this. I actually found some of there synths to create good sound. But as i say this is based on a now very old version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

As a former Reason poweruser, giving courses to others, i will tell you why i totally switched. And never looked back.
    1 - The Props change their mind like the wind.
    They said Reason will NEVER record audio, they created Rewire for that. And after that stupid position, they introduced crappy sampling in Reason, created Record software just after...and finally killed Record to include it in Reason. All that in some years only.
    They said Reason will NEVER include third party plugins. And they created RE format.
    What a vision of the future of their products...
    2 Now about sound :
    Most impressive Reason sounds come from SAMPLES (like Redrum, NNXT...). Because, apart RE and some gems like Scream4, synths/effects sounds thin like 10 years too late freewares.
    For a simple reason : they wanted low resources. So they used thin code. Even Thor, supposed to kick the world, sound just like V-Station quality. Good, but late.
    After ppl complained, they introduced RE third party...and now, Reason sound better and eat CPU for breakfast like anything else :rofl:
    CPU usage = sound. A thing U-He synths users learned :wink:
    3 Closed formats, like Refill and RE. And you need a bunch of refills, full of samples, to make up the thin synths/effects sounds. And no, combinators change nothing : stacking sh*tty sound just make a pile of sh*t :rofl:Only RE can save you...for an arm.
    4 workarounds (less and less, but still) : because of closed formats (RE,refills and more), you spend your time finding workarounds. Whereas any open DAW will solve this in less than 5 minutes with any freeware plug
    5 protection, of course. But you need to remember dongle was introduced with Record. And during this time before Reason dongled, you needed 3 DAWs to record audio, Reason racks and VST/AU plugs. Reason, Record and another DAW rewired :rofl:.
    Some ppl even bought a third screen just for that... Another reason why they killed Record...

To make it short : Reason is still a nice concept of virtual studio modular racks.
    But the Props spend their time making sh*tty choices. They have NO future vision for their products, and no respect at ALL for their clients doing so.
    They are blind moles, waiting to hit a root to change direction. And so, they make wrong choices.
    To me, Reason is a dead product. I remember when the last Reason was out at the same time than Ableton 9...no one cared about Reason.
    Of course, new users don't know what happened before. But they will learn soon the Props way :dunno:

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

For me, it was the lack of VST/VSTi support. I was already pulling reason into cubase, so I figured, eh, I'll just switch to cubase. Haven't regretted it once.

On a side note, this was made mostly with reason 5.

20. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Hmmmm let's see:
    -1). Why aren't those hood rats on the streets, who look like they came out of a walking dead episode and whose anuses approximate the size of Monster Truck Hubcaps and who fuck like they have rigor mortis sinking in, married to Charismatic lads like Channing Tatum, Adam Levine, Denzel Washington, or Prince Harry?
    0). What if I told you it was developed by two pathetic guys who possessed virtually no purpose in life going to a meth party and gang raped a female rabid goat and the goat gave them a Cleveland Steamer and inside the steamer was mutilated putrid-smelling disc with reason on it. How lovely.
    1). It really is a waste of life.
    2). The interface looks like that of a DAW from the Kurzweil days. Ie: Late 90's early 00's.
    3). iLok and that retarded codemeters bullshit.
    4). No VSTi or AU support.
    5). They use a totally obsolete sound method called "Refills" which are outdated and even more plathetic - You cannot use them in another DAW without rewiring, which is also pathetic and a pain in casual asshole.
    6). The Propellerheads suck.
    7). The synths and instruments sound like a dying rabid cat getting a vacuum cleaner hose shoved up its crusty ass and then a homeless man with STD's turns on the vacuum cleaner and urinates on the electrical outlet the the Vacuum is plugged in to creates an electrical shock up the cat's ass. At least in this case the cat dies in electrical orgasm and electro-shock treatment arousal.
    8). Spire and a DAW such as Studio One 3 or Ableton Live works infinitely better than Reason.
    9). It's not a DAW as in "Digital Audio Workstation" but as in "Dumb Ass Whackjon".
    10). If you read the prior 9 reasons but are still asking this question, you're probably torched out on a significant amount of methamphetamine.
    :guru::guru::guru:

Does that make any sense? :mates::rofl:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. U-Kadian

U-Kadian Kapellmeister

what's the Reason I came here? Not sure.. :rofl: