Why do you not want to accept that "Good music's era is over"?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Lager, Feb 8, 2020.

1. mp5

mp5 Producer

Donovan "Catch the Wind", Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever", Who "Pictures of Lilly", Led Zeppelin "Since I've Been Loving You"...
    I could quote you a playlist with more than 6.000 songs.

2. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Maybe you should try to listen good electronic music,because thousands artists are very talented.

For me it's not the instrument that makes the bad music,but the people.

You are not tired of the same guitar sound with the same Marshall or Vox amp after 60 years of listening?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

hahahahahahaha youve all been FOSTERED

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. DJDOCKS

DJDOCKS Ultrasonic

Because music like all other forms of art is subjective and your definition of good and bad music is subjective to you.

5. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Of course I´m not tired of hear a good pianist or a good cellist playing with the same instruments sounds since 1800. Same goes for the electric guitar, think Guthrie Govan, Bill Frisell or Jeff Beck.

6. mp5

mp5 Producer

No, I am tired of all kinds of inhuman noises and cringe 'custom made sounds', unbearable sound pressure of sterile echoing and reverberation, idiotically simple and endlessly repetitive rhythmic phrases, sterile heaping of samples, tiring loops and robotic freaky voices mumbling, screaming, roaring, reciting or chanting stupid sub-cultural memes. All spiced up with Autotune voice forgery.
    And bad people do make bad music.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mp5

mp5 Producer

No, it's about harmony (read Pythagoras) and poetry is about human values.

8. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

Why do you not want to accept that "You're A Troll"?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

I want to blindly agree, but things are rarely that black & white. :no:
    Trap isn't the only "Hip Hop" coming out, as Marco Polo & Masta Ace, Khrysis & Elzhi, Apollo Brown & every MC in Detroit, Awon & Phoniks, and Black Thought all dropped albums that were award-worthy, solid AF nearly front to back, this last year (to name a few.) And, even Modern Hip Hop had some good albums drop, (not Trap, which isn't Hip Hop, which is my opinion, but also the opinion of a lot of Trap artists, producers and mumblers--credit to those new artists for recognizing the chasm between the two,) one of my favorites being Rapsody's "Eve;" she kills it. :yes:
    Besides all that though, I can't even down all the guys making Trap; I saw a "Making The Beat," with Zaytoven and that dude just sat there and straight laid down a track, one piece at a time, and it was solid...I didn't like it, but I can respect the quality of his work. :yes:

10. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

.....with comments like these, well, it's hard to tell if this thread takes place under a bridge...ya' know, where trols live. Taking you at your word though, I feel bad for you fella--the world must be a bleak place of despair if the end of the seventies was where you sat down and called it quits. On the flip side, I guess Disco could make anyone lose faith in music. :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. electriclash

electriclash Guest

..annnnddd...

we're back

pp.gif

pp2.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

Great music is always being made, cause there will be always great composers and listeners enjoying it. With the advent of technology for masses AKA digital music making, we just have more people doing it. But instead of burying good music, this digital paradigm has provided a better contrast to discern between bad and good music.

13. electriclash

electriclash Guest

thought fucking proviking +1 :bleh:

14. Anthony Baruch

Anthony Baruch Noisemaker

The problem with your statement is that back in the day people used to say the same thing.. but instead of whining about it, they took destiny into there hands, and created new music that defined what was realistically possible for that time.. this literally applies to every single facet of human invention and creativity as well.. not just music... somewhere in a video store, a young Tarantino was asking himself, why cant movies be like the good old days looking over the Western section of Sergio Leone films/ Japanese titles by Kurosawa.. and it was in that conversation with himself, he started writing what would be one of the greatest films in the last decade, Pulp Fiction.. or a young Brian Wilson in his parents garage, is mulling over his dads four freshman albums, and says to himself, I want to create something as beautiful as what this music makes me feel.. and a couple years later, he creates Pet Sounds which becomes so loved and adorned, even the beatles themselves are influenced by it to write Rubber Soul..its all about reinventing the norm..in a time where information is more accessible then ever, weve actually become too comfortable with what is out now because there are simply too many distractions, on the internet to keep us from creating that next genre of music, or revolutionary movement... unfortunately as well the freedom for expression has taken over artistic freedom because there are too many platforms where anybody can voice there opinion.. to say there opinion is valid or not is where the problems lies..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  15. tun

tun Rock Star

its about so much more than that. if thats what matters to you then thats cool, but other people can enjoy more than that.
    my tastes are largely driven by my love of sound design. i love hearing carefully crafted sounds, especially when they break conventional music rules.

16. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

The beatles etc may have been one idea more creative than most of their contemporaries, but I doubt they will be considered "good music" in a few decades (when the generations that listened to them die)(btw, there are plenty of artists in every generation that sound close to current "top" artists, but don't have the luck or talent to become famous); noone in the masses knows and cares about what people were listening to in early 20th century and before that.
    There is so much of the "good, well produced, non-offensive" music that everything has become bland. When everything is good, nothing is exceptional.
    While hip-hop was and still is (of course, I may be wrong) mostly garbage in terms of musical quality; it had (maybe it still has it, at least in marginal/underground hip-hop circles) a quality, that is absent from most other types of music - message for awakening the crowds and social commentary; this is basically a basic ingredient for any "real" art, considered great by the critics in novels, film, theater etc. So, at least part of hip-hop can be considered good art, but it sounds like very amateurish music.

17. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Musical norms (NOT "rules") have nothing to do with sound design.
    Check any book on timbre and orchestration, you will find plenty of advices and suggestions, no rules.

18. tun

tun Rock Star

when the sound design is for music they do. sound design includes all elements of a sound, including pitch, rhythm etc.
    i cant really understand how you think that sounds you put in your music do not have anything to do with the overall structure of the music.

19. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

No offense,but I think you're just getting old.
    Classical composers,rock music were all controversial at their beginning.Electronic music suffers the same fate because a part of it doesn't follow any rule.(though I make electronic music and I use scales,harmonies,melodies,different time signature,there's some orchestration too,etc...but way less complicated and sophisticated than Mozart ofc!)

But the most important is that the music means something,is beautiful,communicates emotions.Not how complicated and academic it is.

20. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Sound design is timbre