Why do some huge Kontakt libraries have huge pkg files and a tiny .exe?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by chrisbassoon, Oct 29, 2017.

1. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

I have only just started to dip my toes into this area, so please excuse my ignorance, but I have downloaded several Kontakt libraries from this excellent site, and have noticed something which is not quite right to my newbie eyes.

Most libraries are large and feature nki and sample files just as you might expect. Other libraries I have seen have vast download sizes (20+ GB), but when I open them they have just a tiny executable for Windows PC of a few gb alongside massive pkg MAC files. What is this about? I understand that a high quality and / or varied library often needs to be on a large scale to accommodate good quality samples. Presumably when you run the pkg files on a MAC, these decompress to conventional libraries on a MAC, but it does not explain the tiny executable for PCs. Is it a waste of time to install these for Windows PCs, or will the executable actually tap into the pkg files to get additional data (I'm fairly certain this question will need to snorts of derision). Does not make sense to me, and I'm not sure whether to just delete them and try for something else.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

As far as I know the exes are for small "resources" (images, wallpapers, reverb IRs,...) that are not installed in the same lib folder, but in the Kontakt resources one. I think the first Requiem pro gave quite a few headaches with this.

You've figured out well the rest.
    If you're tempted to batch recompress the whole library remember: first back up everything except the samples (wav, ncw and nkx).

4. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

I'm not 100% sure of what your conclusion is..... I was wondering how to get this to work on my Windows PC. Are you saying it is not going to happen? I was not marked as MAC only when upped on audioz.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I thought you've had figured out how to extract the "pkg" files.

If the files are in iso or other DVD file format try to mount them as a virtual DVD, in case you're opening them with WinRar or another compression manager.

Have you tried to execute the exe? It may just install the library to your disk "unpacked", ready to be used by Kontakt.

6. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Just execute the exe, the pkg files are the containers. I know they seems to be for mac, but in this case they are container of an auto-decompressing exe. Like when you create one with winrar.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

exe files are needed only to execute instructions in windows. Instructions can be either stored in exe file or separately.