Why do people/labels follow your new/empty social media?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by D-Music, Sep 16, 2019.

1. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Recently, I created some social media channels; Soundcloud, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter. Just preparing for 2020, when I'll launch a new dj/producer/music project.

Besides artwork and some general info, there's nothing interesting shown at the moment (no content for example). Also, I didn't promote anything yet. Only added a short list of artists and labels that I want to follow myself. But here's the strange thing, I already have a few unknown but legit followers including labels on Soundcloud and Instagram.

Now, I can image that some people - some are also dj/producer - try to catch my attention to help each other (I follow you, so you will follow me). And a label that isn't that famous might be interested in 'discovering' a new artist. But still, one of them has 16.9K followers so that seems odd.

Maybe there's more behind it that I'm not aware of so what do you guys think? To me, it doesn't make much sense. Of course, it's nice if people are interested but not in such early stage.

Just wondering!

3. Mr. Narwhal

Mr. Narwhal Newbie

From what I've learned over the years, most of those followers are "automated". They are real people most of the time, but they most likely use a 3rd party service that targets accounts within certain criteria and interacts with them. It almost never has anything to do with the content on your profile. I might be wrong, but it is a very common marketing tactic I've picked up on. Even big artists like The Chainsmokers and Marshmello use automated follow/like/comment services that make people think they are actually engaging with their account, it was a real bummer when I found out haha

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

This happened to me once when Burt Reynalds followed my SoundCloud. I was excited until I realized that's not how Bert Reynald spells his name... And then I realized it was impossible for other reasons... Anyway don't be upset about it. Some of us actually put stuff on our social medias and only get fake Bert Reynlds's

5. electriclash

electriclash Guest

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Ah yes. That explains also why the followers so far are music related, probably due to the artists and labels I added to my own follow list.
    :rofl:

7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

this is why I hate beatstars, thay are mailing new follower notifications everyday.
    why don't thy do something about it?

8. tun

tun Rock Star

modern marketing at its annoying best.
    usually its bots, but sometimes people. they will check out who is interested in similar music and add/follow them. typically when people get a new follower they will check them out. if its a musician you might listen to their music and potentially like it, thus, a new fan is made.

its all about the money, this is the capitalist world we live in. poor musicians have to make a living using shitty methods :(

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Companies are trolling me all the time to get in on my "content creator" nickle. Claim to share my stuff where it will be noticed, blah blah etc. So far, they want something for nothing. I have real fans. but not many. I have worked hard to create an internet presence and have promoted my SC page relentlessly. So far I have made 12 cents, but gotten a lot of positive encouragement, and am proud to be a published, paid songwriter, performer, recording artist. Allen Lee Geddes Music LLC, https://soundcloud.com/allen-lee-geddes-https://www.google.com/search?q=all...60j69i65l2.10407j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8