Why didn't you tell me?

Discussion in 'Music' started by tulamide, Sep 22, 2016.

1. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Last album released in 2009, suddenly they're back! Grandfathers of electronic music that are not Kraftwerk-ish. How I'd love to get a week in Boris Blank's "Home"-studio:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, new album on 9/30, first single, "Limbo", here:

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I see my (probable) next plugin purchase on his monitor. Pretty sure that's Filterscape. I trust his taste already

Unfortunately the video isn't available in my country. Someone should tell him that the United States is a pretty big market

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Sorry to hear this. Normally it's the other way 'round. That's why pretty much every european uses a little tool called "ProxTube". Unfortunately it won't help you. It uses US-Servers as proxy to allow viewing otherwise blocked videos.

Yello was very big in America in the 80s. I think they know very well how important that market is ;) Btw, they are a team of two, Boris Blank does all the music, Dieter Meier talks more than he sings, but has a nice deep voice. They are from Switzerland.

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

6. OK AudioSex lovers, this is your chance to own Boris Blank's very own Fairlight CM III that I am sure he wrote a bunch of his seminal work on. Living in Switzerland and daily checking the site called Ricardo for all things production and musical instrument related, I saw this come up for sale a while ago, and although I thought it was kind of cool, payed it no mind until tulamide posted this thread. It ain't cheap, but you all might get a giggle. You ask, "Why didn't you tell me?", well, I just did.
    Here is the translation:

Original production system by Boris Blank, the musical mastermind of YELLO. Sensational condition. With original Library.

With all possible expansions. Mounted in a new 19-inch rack and with an 8-channel mixer equipped. Turn on and start.

For instant price Buyer: Spare cards of all types. Graphic card for flatscreen. . Including SD card drive in the original case

, the system includes:
    - Fairlight CMI III
    - original Fairlight tube screen
    - keyboard with Pen
    - 19-inch rack (with wheels)
    - 8-channel mixer
    - SD Card Drive in original HD Case

https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/musik...-cmi-iii-von-yello-boris-blank/v/an823124294/

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hehe. He sells it for a reason, and his name will get him an insane price anyway :rofl:
    It pays to have a good reputation.

8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Each generation has its dream. Yes, I admit, I dreamt of once owning a fairlight (it was unimaginable expensive then as well) - but that was in the mid-80s! In a time where I slowly started working with an 8-bit-computer that had like 512k RAM, the Fairlight came with 16-bit sampling @ 32kHz, 28 MB RAM per 16 voices polyphony (extendable), it used a pen (!!) for drawing, it was extendable in all aspects. A dream at that time. And before the other grandpas chime in; yes there was ONE competitor, the synclavier.

Nostalgia is for people that have more money than they need. For me, each freeware sampler offers more in all aspects - 11000 Euros saved. :bleh:

p.s. for those with nostalgia: look closely, the Fairlight is signed by Boris Blank, but there is nowhere anything that proves it would have been his instrument.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Mmm mmm m m Oh Yeah
    Mmm mmm m m Oh Yeah

Yello. :like::bleh:

10. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

dont wanna pretend to be a wiseass or sumthin but in that case get ready to get yourself a mac (or build a hackintosh) and load up logic pro because that plugin you see is Logics Sculpture. However I've been using Filterscape for like years now, so i'd definitely recommend that one too

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Looked just like Filterscape from my perspective too. Thanks for the clarification you wiseass or sumthin , LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  12. modelarmy

modelarmy Ultrasonic

Yes!! And behind that Massive from NI.:metal:

13. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Thank you! After I saw that Filterscape's GUI doesn't quite fit, I also wanted to find out what I see there and started a google session to no avail.

14. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

either my eyes don't work but all i can see is Sculpture, Massive & Space Designer.

15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah we've established I was wrong. Looks a lot like filterscape though on a small picture where you only see the left half
    [​IMG]

16. p.s. for those with nostalgia: look closely, the Fairlight is signed by Boris Blank, but there is nowhere anything that proves it would have been his instrument.

Granted, there is no guaranteed providence that proves it was Boris Blank's, but how many great Swiss keyboardist would have owned a Fairlight, and for that matter, how many great Swiss keyboardist are there? It for sure is not Patrick Moraz's, I had Thanksgiving diner with him last year in Sarasota, Florida with his wife and mother-in-law (the mother-in-law, all of like 92 years old propositioned me for sex, no shit...that's one wild old lady!) and asked me if I wanted to buy his Moog Voyager signed by Robert Moog himself, but no mention of a Fairlight.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

OMG! You seem to have a lot of interesting stuff happening in your life. I'm a bit jealous! :guru:

18. I seem to find myself many times in the vicinity of interesting phenomenon and always love to tell a story. It is at least good for a giggle for me now and again.

19. Thanks Cav, I used to use Filterscape when I first started working ITB a bunch of years ago, and your newest love affair got me to thinking to reinstall this baby. This time around I am sure to have a better handle on steering it in the direction I would lead it and not vice-versa. :like:

20. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Glad to hear it! Man I am such a fan of u-he. Honestly I hate to be that guy but their stuff really does sound better. I'm not sure why but the ridiculous attention to detail is obvious in everything they do, so it doesn't surprise me. The ability to directly talk to the developers on KVR, and their responsiveness is so awesome too. Try getting that kind of service almost anywhere else.

21. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

His hardware's not bad either; E-Mu's, Novations, I see a Waldorf, the keys hidden in the closet on slides. TR8, Push und so weiter. And thats just what we get to see here. Very nice lair.
    edit; check the 2 Roland composers in the first pic on the top shelf behind him. lol