Why aren't my UAD plugins working????

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Trace route seems to work fine for both www.ilok.com and www.uaudio.com, getting various responses and completing. The UAD one had a "Request timed out" on hops 10 to 12 and then 16 to 30, where it completed. No idea what this means though?! :dunno:

I have also tried clearing my network cahce using Win+R and then ipconfig /flushdns using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to run as admin, and also cleared my browser (Microsoft Edge) cache to no avail.

I have an iLok account, and the UAD Spark trial shows up with correct dates when I log in to the website:

upload_2023-6-30_20-56-20.png

Same with the UAD website:

upload_2023-6-30_20-58-19.png

I've also seen that Reddit and tried it, which is basically the basic (and only) troubleshooting UAD have on their site about anything like this, which is here: Troubleshooting Native UAD Activation Issues (and Blurred GUI) – Universal Audio Support Home (uaudio.com)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is all literally making zero sense to me. iLok and UA Connect showing as licensed, yet the the plugin insists it is not licensed (and I've installed various different DAWs to check it's not DAW-specific, and the same result in Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, Ableton, Reason, Mixbus, FL Studo etc, so definitely an issue on the iLok/UAD side of things). It's the same with all of the UAD plugins:

upload_2023-6-30_21-19-9.png

PS the 27th license is an old East West Composer Cloud sub that's expired (which worked perfectly fine at the time).

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Do you have your DAW/s firewalled in? What about your main Plugins folder? I would remove that old expired plugin even.

What about the Info button next to Not Licensed message, and the Add Hardware button?

What does ILM show in the Column next to 1 of 2 Activations used to the right? It should show Active.

You have this set to Automatic and not "Managed" ? (could always try both when testing)

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/13410761706260

This article is about "Blurred Gui", since this is new change:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...Native-UAD-Activation-Issues-and-Blurred-GUI-

Did you do the uninstall "their way"? https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...s-10-UA-Connect-Uninstall-Reinstall-Procedure or did you skip this:

Remove UA Connect Preference Files
    1. Preference files for the UA Connect app are located in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local, which is hidden by default. To navigate directly to this folder, please do the following:
    • Press the [Windows] key
    • Type “%localappdata%” (without quotes)
    • Hit [Enter]
    Did you allow this UACloudHelper.exe application past your firewall? I would add a rule allowing it:

Windows Firewall warning when installing UA Connect
    When installing or updating to the latest version of UA Connect, you will receive a Windows Security Alert prompting you to allow access for “uacloudhelper.exe” to pass through Windows Defender Firewall.

Allowing “uacloudhelper.exe” through Windows Defender Firewall is a requirement for UA Connect to function. As most users are likely on a private home network, we recommend selecting “Private networks, such as my home or work network”.

Try changing the Allow UAcloudhelper from Private Networks checkbox to Public Networks. You can change it back after testing.

[​IMG]

I like their nice video about all of this:

When you are closing these things, I would be using Force Quitting anything UAD or iLok related after turning anything off and on again.

4. playtime

playtime Rock Star

NOTE: The "ADD HARDWARE" button is for owners of any UA VOLT Audio Interfaces and Townsend Labs / UA Sphere Microphones.
    So nothing connected to UADx plugins.

Here's the screenshot from my UA account:

Screenshot 2023-06-30 231335.png

5. stopped

stopped Producer

I'd try installing tinywall, which is an application just to help manage the windows firewall. It has an option to show all current connections, and a check box at the bottom of the screen to show all blocked connections in the last 5 minutes (and you can right click on those results to allow). I strongly suspect you'll see that the vst is trying to connect to some random uaudio server as well

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am betting it is some small stupid detail caused by something like this. On Mac, I firewall in all the .component files that are our plugins individually. Windows can also firewall allow or block entire folders and DLL's also right? Could he have to allow them one item at a time?

This is the part I mentioned earlier about Plugin Vendor/iLok and there needing to be "Linked" account informations, and every letter of it matching : https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...ive-UAD-Plug-Ins#h_01GS6GDXZJN2QJXGCHTMDB7WP3

7. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

Maybe your Windows has lost a certain component for Ilok Pace ICloud. Is there any other HD? Try another system Windows.

Some time ago, there were some changes in the requirements. Update for SHA256 support must be installed on systems earlier than Windows 10. But you have Windows 11.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I asked this earlier in the thread too. I think there is a way you can accidentally block/not install a PaceAP file during installation. I did this on accident with my UVI stuff, and it looked all perfect but did not work at all without it. Another thing maybe worth mention, is at some time during the process of setup, you should be asked to Authorize linking your UAD account to your iLok account/info. If either company are having web downtime, it could screw that up. Maybe.

From Pace FAQ/Troubleshooting:

Diagnose a PACE License Services Failure on Windows

1. Open Control Panel:
      1. Previous to Windows 8: Select Control Panel from the Windows Start button.
      2. On Windows 8: Use Search (F3 or hotkey combo Windows key + S) and type “control panel” (without quotes) selecting Control Panel from the list to open it.
      3. On Windows 10: Right-click the Start button and choose Control Panel from the pop-up menu.
    2. Select System and Security.
    3. Select Administrative Tools.
    4. Select Services.
    5. Look for the service called PACE License Services and review its Status.
      1. If the status is “Started” or “Running”, PACE License Services is verified as functioning properly.
      2. If the status is anything else, proceed with the next step.
    6. Right-click PACE License Services from the Services list and choose Start from the pop-up menu.
      1. If the status now indicates “Started” or “Running”, PACE License Services is now functioning properly.
      2. If the status indicates anything else, or the service refuses to start, see PACE License Services Starts Manually but Not Automatically On Windows Startup.
    7. PACE License Services Starts Manually but Not Automatically On Windows Startup
      1. Open Control Panel:
        1. Previous to Windows 8: Select Control Panel from the Windows Start button.
        2. On Windows 8: Use Search (F3 or hotkey combo Windows key + S) and type “control panel” (without quotes) selecting Control Panel from the list to open it.
        3. On Windows 10: Right-click the Start button and choose Control Panel from the pop-up menu.
      2. Select System and Security.
      3. Select Administrative Tools.
      4. Select Services.
      5. Look for the service called PACE License Services and review its Status.
      6. Right-click PACE License Services from the Services list and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
      7. On the General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic (if not already) and restart Windows.
      8. Launch iLok License Manager to confirm no error messages are displayed on its launch.
        1. If no error messages are displayed, the issue is resolved.
        2. If error messages are displayed, proceed with the next step.
      9. Quit iLok License Manager.
      10. Right-click PACE License Services from the Services list and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
      11. On the General tab, change the Startup type from Automatic to Automatic (delayed start) and restart Windows.
      12. After a five minute wait, launch iLok License Manager to confirm no error messages are displayed on its launch.
        1. If no error messages are displayed, the issue is resolved.
        2. If error messages are displayed, please contact Support and include the exact wording of the error message(s) still displayed by iLok License Manager.

9. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

Buns, I have a theory - I remember I recently helped you on another post where your windows explorer was slow because of closing services to optimize windows.

I think there might be a service disabled that might be needed for ilok to connect correctly to the internet/plugins. Did you also install a "lite" windows?

I'll start disabling/enabling services to see if uad seems dependant on any of them on my system. Will report back if I find anything. I know for sure my hardware uad products required atleast one specific system start-up process to be running to work correctly

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think this is a pseudo-example of OSI Model, because the software hooks into the operating system lower than the application layer so that it can do all its other bs (besides functioning as an audio device/plugins).

Which is kind of where this is at. It's similar to my UAD software installation experience, just without the shiny 1000$ paperweight sitting on the desk. They have a nicely produced video about troubleshooting this type of thing on their website; and they even have a nice Mac cleanup utility program on their website that you can use when their installer screws up. Both exist not because they are being helpful, but because of how many users run into this stuff with their products' software. Try to find a Motu failed installation cleanup tool. ;)

I would have already used my other computer and started over completely. Maybe even Power Cycle my networking equipment like Modem/Router, whatever. If I did not have another pc, I would have someone trustworthy try it on theirs. The account only has .99$ worth of stuff on it.

Does UAD have a web portal backup like UVI does? If you have a problem in the UVI manager software, you can just go on the "my account/purchases" web portal and do everything in there you can with the software. This is probably all the result of one little detail, like a minimum system requirement, or something like this:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  11. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

Sounds like you're also a software/it guy! :cheers:

And yeah I would have tried a different computer by now. I'm gonna try to recreate this issue on my Tiny11 build tonight. I have an Apollo and those plugins but will test the spark trial. Ive been curious to see how uadx vs uad compare anyway.

12. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I've had this problem too. Oddly enough, also after taking the same offer. I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall everything, reinstalled, and then it worked.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

People have some very impressive results with that program, like it is magic. iobit gets some pretty great reviews, too. But I have seen people have success with Revo like no other solution.

14. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I got it recommended here on audiosex many years ago actually. It's irreplaceable really.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yup. I've tried al of this. However, when I install, I do not get the Windows Defender Firewall prompt, but I have manually added it and allowed and made no difference.

Nothing is being blocked in terms of my DAW nor my plugins by the firewall.

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Tried this and showed everything connected and established with nothing out of the norm being blocked!

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Nothing is firewalled and iLok account is all good and logs in fine and linked as screenshots show.

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

PACE Licensing Service is running as it should:

upload_2023-7-5_13-30-59.png

19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I do have some services stopped, but nothing significant and no networking related services. Also, it's a regular, full fat Windows 11 and not a lite version that I'm using.

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Might give Revo a go to remove everything and start over......again!