Who's still using Nebula in 2024?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zenarcist, May 22, 2024.

1. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

I tried Nebula once, but found it too cumbersome. Then, I didn't have a system for plugins & plugin-chains. Now, I think I got these things figured out much better. Yet, they are still hard to enter. The 4 different sample rates occupy too much space. I now keep only 96khz stuff. Same with Acustica stuff. But, I don't know what to get. I know AlexB, TimP & Cupwise makes them but there are 100s of them.

Can you guys who use them regularly recommend your top 10-20? With what's it emulating beside it. There's a Acustica Recommendation guide which is very helpful. If there'd be one for Nebula stuff, it'd be far more accessible. Please if can, list Skins too? [Azzimov makes some great ones I guess]

Also, most I've found on trackers are Nebula 3 libraries. I know the last available R2R I guess was Nebula 4.5 [that was buggy as hell on m1 macs]. Are the Libraries from 2013-17 I remember updated or they don't matter cause they're just impulses. I really don't know these very clearly?

How much of a difference do they really make compared to the official Acustica plugins? Is it worth the effort?

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  2. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Sorry, mate...I hear more color in x...it's subtle..but I'm here for subtle..It's my hobby...now add this 5% subtleness to 48 tracks and try again:)

3. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

So much hahah:
    Out of my head:
    - Timp silk eq
    - Alex b metal knob
    - vnxt all plate reberbs
    - cupswise - everything, but 4k smack for rap vocals:)...MEq (you know if you know:))
    so much..

4. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Nebula is hands down the best sounding in the box..with hassle, yes, but try to record in tape...you guys are born in the best days ever. Algos are enough...Nebula is the extra salt..if you have never eaten good food, Mc Donnalds cheeseburgers are damn good..

5. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Read and only buy what you need. You only need 10%.

6. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

i got some, here is a song using some quantum and the lavry gold going into ashes clipper. i just like playing with the toys though doesn't mean i know wtf im doing with them. why im a hobbyist not a pro

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

AlexB for mix consoles - Neve, API, SSL, etc. TimP L-Bus v2 SSL bus compressor.

8. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

German Mastering Console - AlexB - Use the Inputs and Outputs at mastering or busses, and maybe the Eq (high shelf is pretty good). For broadcast style vintage song it's my first choice for color.
    Cupwise - Cuptones - Lots of good flavours and pretty little on CPU.
    Henry Olonga Girthy Busses - Solid EMI buss sampling with a gear combination for different flavours. SImilar to AlexB Console Busses. Tasteful.
    TimP Vari Level - My favorite Gates STA Level plugin.
    Alex B Consoles (any of them) - A CRAP TON of different stages, channels, subgroups, master buss of classic mixing consoles sampled carefuly. Choose where you want to apply the effect with the corresponding sampling and voila.
    Cupwise Cassette - A collection of HiFi 90's tapes. A secret weapon.
    Transcending Music - Behemoth - Another secret weapon. It's a sampling from an analogue mastering chain. I don't even know the gear they used, but this thing sound amazing.
    AlexB Sontec - Before the Metric Halo one i used this and loved. Sounds great, but it's kinda limited for a Sontec Eq. If i only want one band of the Eq, this is my first choice.
    MCI Heritage - I'm using this one with Airwindows ConsoleMC and i'm amazed.

9. akbarz

akbarz Kapellmeister

Anyone else want to try guessing?

10. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Yes why not? as it sounds fantastic compared to most competition

11. YABATECH

YABATECH Noisemaker

Wise decision. Yoda advised me to use the Force and wait for Zen 5 also.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Zen 6 will be doubling the number the cores according to some recent leaks, but I honestly couldn't wait that long.

13. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

Hell yeah, I still use Nebula.
    I'm always impressed how deliciously better a Nebula lib sounds over similar algo plugins.

14. Imnotr2r

Imnotr2r Newbie

Who's still using Nebula in 2024?
    - The developers

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I know is trending to talk shit about NI. I mean, who hasn't? lol
    But... guys don't forget that Softube is behind some of their best effect plugins.

Sorry for the slight OT

16. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I 100% respect your workflow and choices but i don't think like this. A lot of people are using algo plugins alongside expensive outboard gear, and it takes way more time to set up than a nebula library. I use both, i like it and i don't feel my sound being damaged at any degree. In fact, it's the opposite. I work with CPU headroom and sound quality that makes analog gear a bit scared.

17. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

who knows. i cant tell you which is which, but i can tell you they sound significantly different. That difference adds up when applied to many channels. I know in my own blind testing, tim p's compressors beat out the algos i had it against, even beat out hardware in some cases.

is that supposed to be a good thing?? many of softubes plugins suck. cramping and aliasing, wrong / unmusical curves in the compression, etc.

18. sherpa

sherpa Ultrasonic

There are some here that are saying that Nebula is hard to get into as it takes longer than algo plugs. This is so far from the truth, as it takes less time to set up the Nebula programs to get the result you're after most of the time. Freeze it in Reaper and move onto the next part of your mix

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I was referring to things like one EQ band per Nebula instance, plus another instance for the line/pre, etc. It's a lot of messing about when you first get started.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes??