Whole house audio installation. help please?

Discussion in 'Music' started by yomav, Jan 18, 2024.

1. yomav

yomav Newbie

Hi, i am moving into a new house in a few weeks and would like to install a 'simple' home audio system. I dont know much about this sort of thing and so any help would be appreciated.

The house is not complete yet and so while the wiring is going on i want to take this oppertunity to install any necesary audio wiring while i have the chance.

In my living room i will be running speaker wire to my 5.1 surround sound system straight from the dvd player. I would like to add 5 or 6 other speakers in different rooms to this system which i can use to play music throughout the house when people come round and for parties etc...

Questions...
    1. How would i go about adding speakers to my system, would i need an amplifier and how would i go about wiring them...?

2. Is there an easy way to control the volume of each speaker seperately For example could i have quiet background music across the house but louder in the living room?

3. If i wanted to control the music from anywhere in the house how would i go about doing this? Would an IR to RF to IR range extender be sufficient to work across two floors?

4. If i want to change the audio source is this easily done? For example if i wanted to change my input from a cd player to the TV audio can i just unplug the CD player from the amp and Plug in the TV audio output or is it not that simple?

Apologies for any obvious questions but this is all new to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2024
  3. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

Hi,

I'm not saying you should buy it, but just watch the documentation and the related YouTube videos. They basically tell you everything, so it's a good starting point

Onkyo Network Stereo Receiver with Built-In HDMI, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
    https://emea.onkyo-av.com/receivers/stereo-receivers/tx-8270

manual from the bottom of the page
    https://assets.onkyo-av.com/product...0_web_2022-11-02-195638_ftzk.pdf?v=1667418998
    check it from page 9, from the setup parts

dunno this exact one I have a similar but older Onkyo model

4. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

make sure your audio receiver has sufficient zones for your different rooms if you want to separate them at all. Some receivers don't zone bluetooth for instance.

5. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

wrong forum, wrong website. you my friend are falling into a rabbit hole.
    try the home audio websites, there a million ways to do this and a million products to help you (ie lock you into their "system")

try https://www.avsforum.com/

you probably don't need 5.1 for anything other than a home theater room. 5.1 is based on a fixed listening position, if you move around like a real human you will easily step out of the 5.1 and it becomes stereo (or bad stereo) at best. so plan for stereo for most if not all rooms.

just make sure the conduit is in the wall and receptacle boxes are in every room you want sound in, and you can pull the appropriate wiring thru the conduit when you figure out what you want, what you can afford and what you can do without.

also look at Logitech Media Server (LMS) and the squeezebox products, no longer manufactured by still used by a helluva lot of us.
    I have the squeezebox in just about every room. Run the server on a small Atom powered micro pc, and it streams my mp3s.
    its an internet radio so you can get spotiify if thats your thing, or SOMA fm or whatever internet station you like.

[​IMG]

6. Garamondo Furbish

7. ...says wrong forum, wrong website...then proceeds to assist, lol. Maybe the guy isn't ON any other websites?!?!?! Could have just assisted him and NOT proclaimed "wrong forum, wrong website". You know....there are people who access the warez site 99% of the time and RARELY come to the forum....but let's accost the guy for NOT knowing any better.

All I've seen on this forum, for the most part, are pretentious know-it-all's with nothing better to do than to either boast about themself or ridicule others. I been checking here from time to time for years, only recently created a profile....and it's only gotten worse.

8. Garamondo Furbish

9. Garamondo Furbish

unlike you, I've actually been working on whole house audio for 20 some years. I know this forum is primarily for audio and music creation, not whole house audio video systems. I don't go to the 7 eleven for a gourmet buffet , and I don't go to audiosex to find out how to build a home audio system.

For those who do frustration may ensue. To attack me for pointing out a fellow audiophile in the right direction to solve his problems is ludicrous. Sometimes we find what we look for in life, and it looks like you are looking for things that hurt your feelings. Perhaps change your focus to dwell on the things that don't irk you so much??