Who use Xfer Records’ Cthulhu and what do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by LV4-26, Sep 12, 2016.

1. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Hi there,

I found a preset for Cthulhu which pleases me a lot. But not knowing well what synth, I wish I had your mind about this one.

The preset: Melodic Chords and Arps – Cthulhu Presets

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks mate :)

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Cthulu is not a synth perse, (it does generate a tone for testing purposes... but not intended for that..).. rather what Cthulu is IS a midi note generating device that you send to ANOTHER soft synth.... It can be at first hard to figure out how to set up (especially with AU's etc...), but it can be a great tool in the right hands... I would like to test out the pack you are referencing myself!

4. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

in Cubase easy , in Reaper quite complex to setup, its bascally a sophisticated Arpeggiator/Sequenzer.
    Alternative: Kirnu (a free version in CM available)
    watch YouTube Videos and u get an impression what u can do....

5. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

it's great for people who don't know much if any theory.
    you can manually enter chords for each key (on your keyboard), or use some of the presets included so you can play 'one-finger' if you are a bad player like me : )
    you then use it to drive a vsti plus you have a quite powerful arpeggiator so you can generate some quite sophisticated stuff all magically in tune. it's a fine plugin ...

6. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

It's been a few years since I used it, but it is a great idea generator... I can play, and know theory, but this is definitely an interesting plug, one I am revisiting today.... kinda forgot about it... can be a little complicated again to set up for newcomers, but yields some cool stuff, especially in the arpeg section if I remember correctly..

7. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

Great plugin: arpegiator & chorder with third party presets. A must have for me. Very useful and great integration as midifx AU in logic.

8. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

I use it every almost on everything i make. Great way to make chord progressions.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Ankit

Ankit Guest

It's easiest to set up in Reaper:yes:. Just add cthulhu before the synth you want to send midi information.
    There's no need of routing. In reaper, you can add as many instrument/midi devices to a single track.:guru:

10. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

As an arp it great!
    For chords its more like a random hunt and peck game where youre at the mercy of the preset author. Trying to remember what chords were randomly assigned to what keys.
    For performing, I imagine it would be great if you assign the chords of your song into it that way you could fire em off with one key/button in whatever sequence you desire/program.

Now I just play basic triads and then import them into ezkeys. Then you can do anything with your progression as far as voicings and styles!

Cthulhu does have a baddassed arp though