Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

If we remove the chord track from the file and just listen to the melody itself, how to get the right scale?

or what is the best way of knowing the exact scale from the 2 possible choices by listening?

2. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

@foster911

You're evolving but you really need to start to get a feel for where the tonic is, otherwise things will never make any sense to you.

The hierarchy in sound structure goes from low to high, bass to treble. What you have on the bass instrument is usually the root of the chord and among those roots you'll have the center point which is the tonic (home). This explanation wasn't great but I tried to use terms that I think will be easier for you to get.

Start getting a feel for where the home note is. Look for it by playing notes of the scale while listening to your bits of music, it will be easier this way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Might as well ask "what if I show another song?".

Everything needs context. Theory only makes sense in context. Change the context, change the theory.

Anyways, isolating the melodic line in my mind I still hear C minor. The place in time where notes fall (rhythm) also make a difference to what things are.

If you have a 7 note scale, the choices upfront aren't 2.. they are 7.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

When I compose the tonic is always (transposed) on the C or A key. It makes sense to me, just imagine if you were trying to type fast and the Spacebar and Enter keys kept moving around the computer keyboard :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The point is it fits my role and my goals. I'm not the guy who spends 12 hours a day practicing complicated keyboard riffs, that is somebody else's job. But trust me it helps when composing on a keyboard if the tonic and the dominant are always in the same place.

7. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

That's a very different subject.

I was talking about ear-training. If he can't hear where/what note the tonic is, things will always feel very random.

He always posts the key in which he thinks his stuff is and fails almost everytime. He keeps mixing the pitch collection (key signature) with the actual key/tonality (tonic + scale structure).

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I find it helps with that too, as it drills into the brain the function of the tonic and the dominant in relation to the other intervals. I appreciate it may be simplistic for some, but for me personally it was a quantum leap, and it certainly helps to cut the complexity when the tonic and the dominant don't change position every time you change key. I understand what foster911 is going through, as it was exactly the same kind of things that were holding me back, you can sometimes feel like you are surrounded by fog.

Incidentally, I intend to take my keyboard playing a bit further, now that I have this new found clarity of thought, and furthermore, this understanding has also helped with my guitar playing, which is my primary instrument. :)

9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I think he still doesn't have an instrument.

Either way, when you drill into the brain what the 1 and the 5 sound like, you can adapt that to every instrument.

10. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

what's theory but learning what other's have learnt before already, umm could save a bit of time to not have to work it all out from scratch. Even if create your own system, worth knowing if it's already been discovered. If you want to do it by ear worth knowing theory, again to save time, as you'll be using many sounds your ear will have learn't before.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Sorry again! So messy.
    Eb major or C minor?

Attached Files:

12. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

C minor.

13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

@foster911

Here's an unfinished draft of mine that might be a good example for you: https://dgo37c.s.cld.pt

Key Signature would be G major/E minor.

The first part with the melody is in E min. The second part with the new melody is in G major.

Same notes for both parts, totally different feeling. One is minor/sad and the other is major/happy. Is it clear for you?

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thanks so much kouros. You're always so helpful. Yes to some extent. I really need too much ear training.

I sometimes see the end of your rope but that's just the appearance. You're inwardly so kind.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yes, it's the moment the penny drops, and everything suddenly makes sense.

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

major pentatonic scale:
    C, D, E, G,
    and A

The tonal center in pentatonic scales is so obscured that really any of the pitches could serve as the tonic! Fortunately, the starting and ending pitch of a piece of music will usually clue you in to which pitch is the tonic.

http://www.singing-bell.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Auld-Lang-Syne-Singing-Bell.mp3
    The tune that people sing at midnight on New Year’s Eve: “Auld Lang Syne”

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  17. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Don't bother quoting me, I won't comment your stuff anymore.

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Please make it go to 10 pages :rofl:

19. foster911

foster911 Guest

Dear kouros!

Tonight I was watching a football game (Real Madrid vs. Roma). I suddenly heard kouros (one of the players of Real Madrid). Believe me, I thought that player is you and got so happy.

I love you so much and want to learn from you. You're so helpful to me. I know that by some stupid questions, I am irritating you. That's happening in my mind, either if I ask it from you or not.

So one again, I extremely do apologize, either from you and also other members and will never post such idiotic things.

20. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Here's my contribution for the 10 pages lol

There's nothing I can say that will help you. Until you change your mindset, no amount of reading is going to do anything for you.. no matter what/who the source is.