Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Actually, the Beatles are a good example of what music theory can do for you. Until George Martin came along they only knew 3 chords.

2. foster911

foster911 Guest

You would not be able to analyze well this music (Sad Neo-Classical Music) without knowing music theory:

https://audiosex.pro/threads/industrial-music-ebooks-tutorials.22703/#post-166161
    or simply click:
    http://www.sadclassicalmusic.com/sadclassicalmusic.pls
    (Please listen first before commenting)

But I have some questions.
    1- How much music theory is needed to fully understand that?
    2- Is there any limit to the music theory?
    3- What kinds of music theory do music professors study?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

No you're not, your just playing that song again. Case in point even you used the word plagiarism. If I were using the music theory of a song i would only need to pick out one chord or note, (or the key), and make a completely different song. In which case i wouldn't need that song, just a chord.

4. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I think everyone understood it without your explanation, it wasn't a hard one..

..and zero again. :rofl:

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Vangelis knows zero theory yet he is doing very well,in fact he actually had(still has) an amazing musical career.
    There is even a rumor that here and then he logs on to audiosex.pro to argue about DAWs sounding the same :)
    [​IMG]

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Guys, above all.. remember to have fun and don't limit yourselves by not knowing what you're doing. It doesn't make sense in any field and as much as you want to think otherwise, the same happens with music.

I am out.

7. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

only jumping in on point (2): not from my POV. music theory (in respect to the comparison to physics in this thread) is sort of "fractal": the more you dive into it, the more new things surface. They might be related (or self-similar) to superimposed theory-fragments but then again "authentic" and different in their own way. In Physics you can start out with Newtonian physics, expand into quantum physics, expand into string theory and when you still haven't had enough, you add extra dimensions, multiverses and the likes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Do you know grammar and language theory? Are you still able to speak as you feel it?

I only make music as i feel it. knowing how to make music does not stop me from doing that.

Why does everyone, that doesn't know much theory, always draw the conclusion that they're mutually exclusive ideas?

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

LOL....you assume too much sir,as you have no idea who BB is and what he does,just because the man is humble it doesnt mean he couldnt be the authority in a thread like this,especially doing what he does and knowing stuff he knows.

10. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

I'm not biting, @kouros :)
    You use terms like "anti mob", "penta-feeling crowd" and what not ... dunno when or why you got so bitter over music, but introducing degrading or ridiculing terms like these makes me think that there is still much more to learn BEFORE entering a theoretical discussion about music.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

If a song has a I-V-vi-IV progression and you use the same chords, surely you have lifted the music theory behind that song too?

12. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Alright...Lets end this nonsense.

Music is art, and like all sorts of art, it can be done completely intuitively.

However, most artists do not succeed in becoming truly original without learning theory...Most just end up repeating themselves eternally...

You can cherry pick a minority of successful artists who found their true identity without learning theory, but the huge majority had to actually study it in order to fully develop themselves into mature artists.

There's a lot of classical exemples out there, but Picasso is a good one.

He had to learn this:

7114d3a0a60cb2b8fcff109157abeabf.jpg

So, decades later, he could eventually say fuck theory and do this:

bullfight.jpg

He wouldn't have become the Picasso that we know if he didn't have actually become very intimate with the foundations of his craft.

That's all. Don't make up excuses. If you study theory, you'll most certainly become a better artist...And most likely, the only reason you avoid studying theory is because you're lazy. lol

R.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's not Vangelis, it's Captain Kirk :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Why do we always talk more about the importance of the music theory not much about the music theory itself?

Which is important? its importance or itself itself?

If someone insists not to learn about it, let him go away.

Please!

15. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

@Von_Steyr

You assume to much as well if you think i meant BB in my in question. If he does know a lot of theory then my inquiry doesn't apply to him. That's why i qualified it, because i don't know what he knows.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

my friend ... I can get up at 3am, scratch my scrumpled morning scrotum, sip on my first coffee, grab me a steel string and play Bach, Schumann or Frank Zappa. Your insinuation that I'm opposed or unaware, let alone not savvy of music theory makes me smile. :)

EDIT: actually, I have such a recording as described above. come sit with me, my friend, let's enjoy the music beyond theory! peace:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  17. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

[QUOTE="BBSiteUser, post: 176856, member: 24712"
    EDIT: actually, I have such a recording as described above. come sit with me, my friend, let's enjoy the music beyond theory! peace:
    [/QUOTE]

my friend thanks for the share, i definitely took a listen. But there was no insinuation, i posed the question limited to the demographic i have noticed that idea most prominent in. My question was general.

18. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

It was a joke, based on me having said that earlier when a similar comment was made by someonelse.

I am not bitter over music, my only gripe is that there's many people out there who aren't realizing their full creative potencial because of too much noise being made about theory by people who don't really understand what it is and feel the need to instruct others into not learning anything as well.

It's like having virgins giving you hints on how to enhance your sex life.

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Maybe that's their goal.. staying faithful to what they've known forever.

I think it's a defense mechanism, an excuse... but hey, I know nothing and that's why I am always exploring and learning new stuff.

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Just the thought has enhanced my sex life considerably, thanks for that :wink: