Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the topic got even more funnier as i left.

2. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It would pique my interest, as I became interested after a similar discussion.

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Theory is a tool that can save lots of time and expand your song writing system etc...though i believe there is also something as relying too much on theory so the theory itself becomes an obstacle instead of a helpful tool.
    In the end its all about what you`ve brought to the table,show me your result.
    10.000 hours of theory studying means nothing if you cant write anything and just write boring scales with no substance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Judgin by this thread I wouldn't be so positive about it..

I am sure most people that watch the video will tell themselves "ok, just like the video says.. I already know what I need to know so I am ok".

What they don't know is that their basis for knowledge is based on false premises about what theory is and what it can do for you... and the video isn't that good at making that clear either.

5. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Let me just add this:

10.000 hours of NO theory studying means nothing if you cant write anything and just write boring scales with no substance.

This one goes for the "penta-feeling" crowd. :wink:

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

wasnt your so called music theory based on observations?

7. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Now seriously:

If you can practice and be good at ear training without any theory, that's already a huge thing.. I just don't know how you'll make it useful in any way if you lack that part that connects ideas-intervals-pitches, unless you're tied to one instrument and derive everything from the "phisicality" of it. Works for some genres.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

People have more than 10,000 hours of music memory in their brains which they started accumulating in the womb. No person is a blank canvas, they are already equipped with expert music knowledge.

9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Once and for all..

880Hz, harmonics, consonance, dissonance, etc... those are facts. Grab an osciloscope and watch.

MIDI, Staff Notation, MP3, Vynil.. those are vessels that hold data, pitches in a time reference.

Tonic, Secondary Dominants, approach tones, iv vii, Cadences, etc... that is music theory.

I know you're getting smarty pants with your questions but if you don't get it this time, then you're officially "slow".

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Rules, language, predicted outcomes, it's what he said in the video :mad:

11. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

We will never get out of this circle if you reply me everytime I answer someonelse. :rofl:

This time I won't comment on that. :like:

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Your reply was taken even further into the philosophical theoretization.
    10.000 hours of No theory means nothing because that person didnt spend one hour studying any theory which means he is certainly at a better position than the person who did study and delivered the same results as the one who didnt.
    Results are the same,yet if he didnt study then he spent those 10.000 hours for something that might have been more meaningful like having sex with 10.000 females with well developed bodies.
    Hugh Hefner could be such example of my theory.

13. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Musicians and artists in general are all lazy asses. That's a fact of life...And that's the truth behind every excuse not to learn theory.

I'm yet to see any other professional from any other field coming up with excuses for actually not learning the theoretic foundations of their jobs...

Can you imagine a physician, an engineer, a lawyer, an architect or anybody else acting like that?

Fuck theory, I'll just improvise this brain surgery...Screw theory, I'll just follow my intuition and improvise this dam...To hell with theory, I'll press this button and shoot some astronauts to the ISS when I feel it's the right time....

lol

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

This statement is nonsense. You're half right, sure they may have 10,000 hours of music memory but not 10,000 hours of music theory memory. And yes they have music knowledge, but they are in no means an expert.

Children learn to speak before getting grammar and language theory in school. If they were experts they wouldn't need to go to school let alone start at the first grade.

Seriously though, music theory is no more than the fundamentals of music. And everything has it's fundamentals, sports, the law, and surgery. But only in music would people attempt to poke around until they hit the right chord, instead of going in with the scalpel that is a well trained musical mind.

It's just the tools needed to convey your musical ideas faster, and access ideas that are foreign to your ear.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm certainly not as I got stuck on 1,000 .. or kinda lost interest :rofl:

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

When you access a previously heard song from your memory, you are also accessing the music theory of that song. That is why plagiarism is such a wonderful thing :)

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Not everyone here is so lucky to be Aerosmith`s roady like you Zenarcist :wink:

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Glad to see you back my friend! :)

19. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

just dropping in to ask for an intermediate summary. so ... after 4 pages of discussion: is it still legal to just make music as you feel it, or should I surrender myself to the "theory police"? :D

20. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

by all means, I'M SOLD! sounds like MY KIND of theory :D