Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Sorry, I can't answer to any of that because everything you wrote are just examples of what I said, despite the "it depends" expression. Maybe you didn't get my writings the way I intended.

The only part where I don't fully agree is at the end. Theory, even if made up by yourself, should be helpful first for the individual himself, just like a map. Theory as in "communication, sheet music and etc" isn't really theory.

2. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

What?

...and I am fan of millionares..?

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

ok well then every finished melody is solved sonic equation. is that better?
    you start somewhere and you know it has to end somewhere.

sheet music is the written form of applied theory.

4. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Don't agree with any of that.

Sheet music is a notation system. Works just like MIDI info but it's much less accurate, which is understandable since it's purpose is for human reading. By itself it has no theory, it merely depicts facts.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

but when i play the sheet music, the piece itself following the theory and its therefore applied theory.
    dont know you sound really self centered.

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I understand the analogy but I am sure that "predictable outcomes" will be misinterpreted by the anti-mob in a way that does more harm than good. :rofl:

7. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

The MIDI file or the mp3 of that same piece of music will yeld the same theory or lack of it. Theory is in the theorizer, not in the subject itself.

I sound like I sound. The self centered part is your theory about it.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That is why I like the physics analogy, rules, language and predictable outcomes.

9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Notation (or any representation) = facts, it represents pitches along a timeline. There's zero theory on that.

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's no coincidence since music theory was formulated by scholars. It is a very rigorous system.

11. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

You make it sound like there's One theory.. and that is usually part of the problem in understanding what it is and what it is for. Theory can be as deep or shallow as needed, just like you can zoom in our out of a map.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I am talking about the system that was constructed according to strict academic principles, I am not commenting on the constituent parts, nor their purpose.

13. Phil_27

Phil_27 Member

People like kouros are always on a board but never in front of one. They are all talk no action. If you want to learn how to write songs, do what I suggested. It's fun and you'll learn how to arrange a song, what instruments sound good together, etc.

14. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Some genres have very "shallow" theoretical concepts compared to others. By now even your dog knows about the 12 bars, I IV V in blues but OTOH you might feel like you're building an atomic bomb if you get into composition concepts like serialism or other "artificial" methods.

Theory is for everyone and it can mean lots of different things depending on context. If you make music and it isn't serving you in any way, maybe you're not looking at it the right way or with the correct mindset.. maybe you're not using any theoretical concepts that serve the context you're working in. It's all about awareness and connection between mind and sound... knowing your options and applying ideas into sound. I think this should be the overall message, not "Who needs theory?".

15. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

You seem too close minded to understand that one thing doesn't mean that the other can't/shouldn't be done. If my words intimidate you in some way, that must be your ignorance itching. Don't protect it, just kill it.

16. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

The system is based in physics itself, it was not invented nor formulated by scholars.

17. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

...and back to zero. :facepalm:

The frequencies/harmonics/consonance/dissonance/etc part isn't what we use as theory either. Again, that's the factual part, the basis of what is then theorized.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

"Who needs theory?" Is a high-level philosophical overview, it's an opening pitch. Practical applications of music theory would be a follow on discussion for someone who has decided that it may be of some benefit to themselves personally. It would be absolutely pointless disseminating more information than is already included in the video, among those with no interest in the topic whatsoever :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Would that be the same physics, the study of which was formulated and developed by scholars? :winker:

Knowledge is accumulative and is the basis of new knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  20. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I understand that and people who understand what theory is will get it too. Now put yourself in the place of someone who might be "on the fence" about learning it.. do you think that "Let's watch this video and see if I need theory" is the purpose of it? I think in those cases this video would end up more as another source for excuses because that's what people are always looking for, excuses to justify their choice.