Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

Some theory you'll arrive at without knowing it. A metal guitarist will sooner or later develop a style that includes all the "classics" from diminished to phrygian, across Hungarian upt to locrian or even hyper-locrian scale. Should the player find out later WHAT s/he was playing ... doesn't make the playing any different.

If you sit down, planning to write a "genuine" fugue ... not much way around obeying some theory.

What's important to me is to realize that what is advertised as "music theory" is only the smallest fraction of theories that may or may not exist throughout the cultures. Let's assume I know loads of occidental theory, CAGE, 12 bar, scales, progression ... it doesn't give me any advantage when I jam with indian guys and they hit me "31/57th"-measures or when I play with oriental artists and they shower me with micro-tones that "my theory" doesn't even begin to describe.

2. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

I finally grasped the concept, when my (recently deceased) uncle (a very accomplished saxophonist and graduate of Julliard) explained its importance when I first began to entertain the notion of playing a "Jazz" piano. I don't plan on getting involved in a tête-à-tête about this. However, I would submit, that it is infinitely more of an advantage for ANY musician (no matter his/her level of competence) to at least give this idea a look-see; if nothing else but to EXPAND whatever horizons that are within their creative grasps). WTF??? When did the acquisition of "KNOWLEDGE" (especially in music) start turning into a negative? Someone please enlighten me.

3. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

well said
    bebonk.jpg

4. napgiver

napgiver Noisemaker

I've never taken a guitar lesson, short of a friend teaching me to play parts of Seek and Destroy by Metallica when I was 18 (now 43). I learned mostly by ear, and guitar tab. If I could've taken a few music theory class' in my youth, I'm sure I would have been less frustrated when trying to get the riff's in my head out, and into the guitar. Which ended with me smashing a few, or, not even touching a guitar for years at a time.

The way I've always seen it, The more Music theory you know, The better you can express yourself musically. It's like speaking, The more words you know, the bigger your vocabulary will be. Bigger vocabulary = more options when trying to express yourself verbally.

5. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

@BBSiteUser Shit, man; A really funny (and right-on) illustration! I'm 'still' chuckling...

6. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

I could not agree more, my friend. It's always better to have MORE knowledge than LESS. Think about this. Imagine that you have a really kickin' embryonic melody in your head. Now, imagine that (for some reason) you just can't get beyond that initial melody? Even though your first melodic 'apocalypse flashed through your brain, somehow you just can't quite fill in the rest. You say to yourself, WTF? My experience has shown, that sometimes having a "music theory" understanding might just come in handy enough to push you past that musical/creative mental block. Then again, sometimes when I'm pounding out a bunch of chordal (improv) bullshit on my keys, there's a point that "music theory" can hurl itself right out of the damn window! Oh well... <lol>

7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Ahh, the big debate, music theory : to study or not to study ? I think sometimes there are a few misconceptions on the question, and it’s related to the status given to music theory itself.
    We all know it a bit, we all live a lot by it even if we’ve never opened a book of theory . You listen to music on a daily basis since you are a kid ? Then you know music theory…Music theory is a historical, and cultural phenomenon. When you play by ear you apply music theory (you never go for what sound inharmonic or like shit when you play by ear, you try to reconstitute what sounds good to you which generaly falls in line with theory because you ear have been educated for that).
    There are other music theories in the world, other scales, degrees, modes, chords and the way people listen and compose music there matches their theory not ours…
    The occidental music theory thanks to Pythagoras, it’s relationship to mathematic and how that lead to its very early theorisation (as soon as Middle Age ends in Europe we start re inventing and discussing the early Greek music theory which was untill then banished by the Church, that is more than 500 years of background), yes our music theory is one of the most well known and learned but it’s not either the only one nor the « best », it’s just the one we are acustomed to and the one every one understands around us even if they haven’t studied it, because they still have been educated to it everyday by listenning music.
    In a way you don’t need it, you already have it, I’ve made good melodies before learning it….But it’s only by learning it that I understood after why these tunes where « working » on me like on others.
    So in a way if you want to make music it’s just also plain indispensable.
    Or like others comments in the discussion noticed it you will be using music theory but without knowing that you are and by doing it wrong even if you have perfect pitch or a previus smal experience in the area, you will make mistake ad it will f..k your creations or at least seriously limit them…

8. timer

timer Producer

Very true. In my observation one reason for that is that many beginners start with a purely emotional approach zu music and fear to lose it, when they will know to much. They are in love with music and don't want to lose the magic.

Later most find out they can have both: their emotions and the ability to tell what's going on in music.
    OTOH, you don't need to be a grammar expert to create a great story. But you should be able to talk and write.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Who needs grammar, syntax, punctuation . . . ?

10. Phil_27

Phil_27 Member

Nobody needs to learn theory.Transcribe the songs that you like and learn from the pros instead of wasting your time.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

This thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Of course not. Nobody needs to play instruments or write music either.

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

well ive tried it with studying the theory, it made it more complicated for me.
    i think when you go about playing and training everyday to play old piece you gain an idea about how music theory works and then its easier to study it.
    i would go that far that its feeling, its more that you programmed yourself to understand music theory without really wanting to understand.
    in the end music theory is just to theory about how to arrange different frequencies to go in unsion(or just work great together, because they share a good ratio together) and to enrich the tone, its nothing more from a physical perspective.

but for that you need to practice without you wont get that far, so its a theory study, but a hidden one and its more vivid.

14. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Not really. What you're saying is more about fact than theory.

Besides, misunderstanding number 2 would be precisely that music theory is about making everything sound "right" and consonant.

15. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

aphex twin did ok without it...

16. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

You could've just said "I'm an anti", no need for the invalid arguments.

17. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

not sure if its invalid, but believe me, i would have loved to have a degree from a conservatory...

18. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Throwing names is something that ALWAYS happens in these threads and it's totally meaningless.

Some people never went past 4th grade in school and became millionares ..so what?

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

it depends whats your goal and what kind of music you are in.
    i remember the time where they used all 12 tones in a scale forgot how the area the time was called.

i feel like theory and practicing are the same, they are like yin and yang, they are opposite, but they can turn around and morph into each other.

it depends whats your goal and what kind of music you are in.
    i remember the time where they used all 12 tones in a scale forgot how the area the time was called.

i feel like theory and practicing are the same, they are like yin and yang, they are opposite, but they can turn around and morph into each other.

you constant applying theory rules when you practice, so it depends what you practice. you could go and practice disharmonic pieces or harmonic ones, one with 12 tones, etc
    but by doing so you are study theory at the same time.

----
    theory gets important when you communicate with other musicians and you play together in a band, there has be a universal language to understand what the other side wants, what to play now, for that i think theory is really important and you cant get there and just say let me drop some random chords and then have problems to tell hey i just did CM7 chord.

20. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

whats your f-ing problem? i am an aphex twin fan. i still think he is not trained in classical or jazz music theroy. over and out.