Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

somehow u r right.Too bad that music now is very different from the one that was created at the dawn of mankind.Of course u can still beat a stick on a rock and worship a flaming bush.U dont need theory to do that,but it doesn t mean it s good music

2. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Very few people have the absolute musical hear.Mozart had it....I don't who you are but I imagine you are not the Mozart's brother...

3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I didn't even mention anything about absolute ear.

If you don't understand the subject, don't throw more dust into it.

4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

You're quire right, but knowing all the music theory in the world doesn't mean it's going to be good either.
    As for the whole worshiping thing, I've never been into that from the get go. It's all fluffy toys really.

5. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

true,it can suck with all the musical knowledge in the world,imagine how much more it can suck without it.

Besides even those who claim they dont know music theory apply it:they dont know the terms and the rules, yet they apply them,since it s a process of imitation and repetition.we hear music from the moment we r born,and those sounds print something in our brains,just like words.If someone says then dont know music theory it doesn t mean they dont apply it,just like if someone who never went to school claimed they dont apply grammar to their talking.They do: even the most illiterate hillybilly applies the consolidated order in the construction of a sentence;subject,verb ,complement,even though nobody taught them what a subject, a verb and a complement are.
    THe point is that ignorance doesnt take anybody far in any field:
    one can be lucky once,twice or three times and guess a few hits strumming on an instrument without knowing what they r doing,but before it becomes a hit someone will fix it because nobody wants to hear shit,neither sex pistols fans.
    But after those three hits the ignorant guy guessed, the only thing he can do is repeatimg himself because he has a dead end in front of him,so he better have saved the money he gained or he will get back under a bridge with hobos and stray dogs pissing on him