Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I spent years only ever owning a book of guitar chords that had a few scales at the back (which I never really understood). So I am well versed in life without any music theory. It was no coincidence that these were my most unproductive years, although I did learn a lot about strumming patterns.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. foster911

foster911 Guest

The history of the Christian church, the principal social institution in the Middle Ages, is inextricably linked with the history of music in medieval Europe. Many of the characteristics of Western art music developed out of the needs of the church, from the development of musical notation to the advent of polyphony. With the church as a major player in the development of Western music in the Middle Ages, it comes as no surprise that church music from that era was the best preserved for posterity.

Why are we majorly relating the modernism to forgetting our past? No one wants to live in the past but I believe that most people at those times were so smarter than us that created the systems of our thinkings.

3. foster911

foster911 Guest

Music theory is like Formulas.

You can think like this:
    1 = 0+1
    2 = 1+1
    3 = 2+1
    4 = 3+1
    or like this:
    X(n+1) = X(n) + 1

Which is simple? Which saves your time?

We analyze unknown things with science like the music in ancient Greece. After they got simplified we look at them as art. At the end they'd get commonplace. But till that time, let's learn. Unless you'd be in a level that it's so common for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I agree :wink:

I would only ever learn it if it was of some benefit.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

You don't have to know anything about music or theory.

Just like you don't need to play an instrument or even make any music at all.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Incontrovertible fact!:winker:

Having total awareness on what we create is unquestionable. Even randomness is a science.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  7. foster911

foster911 Guest

We will discover the advantage of most phenomenons by first knowing them. Randomness is one of them. No one would find its effectiveness without studying it well. Then you can use it everywhere.

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

We're living in a epoch that we think we know everything or we don't need even our ancestor's believes or knowledge. But I should say it's just the modern ignorance.

9. jodemeil

jodemeil Newbie

Thank for introducing me this guy. Suscribed.

10. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

That video describes all I've been saying for years, even the examples and comparisons are very similar.

I've come to the conclusion that most people that "don't get it" are just making excuses for not putting any effort. Some are just plain dumb and believe in unicorns propagated by their favorite rockstars, which in essence also boils down to excuse making.

edit: Reaching the end of that video now and it's scary.. that guy sounds a lot like me. :rofl:

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Kouros, please I beg you so deeply to let your frogy icon be reverted back.
    Please....
    All of us know you with that avatar.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

Kouros! So far you've had enough energy to defeat everyone. Do you think you can tackle this restive dude?

13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Too busy thinking about tackling my avatar.

14. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

15. foster911

foster911 Guest

Some people have round-the-clock invocations to the muse of music to be like him.

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

The similarities between this guy (not believing in God, Devil, ...) and who does not believe in the Music Theory. Maybe seems trite or repetitious but at the end we all have to acquiesce to it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v30e0t9u8ka693h/EX.mp4

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

1- Sort of sheer luck

2- Innate talent

3- Technique

And what is number 4?

Number 4 is the Music Theory and it is the most important one. With a good understanding of music theory I can write a better and convincing music.

And for me it's the learning and practicing time.

18. Lean

Lean Producer

Don't think there a answer to much of this "fruitless" converstaion.

Facts are different approaches work for different people.

Off course theory can be helpful and expand your sonic "vocabulary" :yes:

Does any musician need it - No

Who really should consider checking some out?

IMO personal opinion a musician who believes he might further his ability etc by learning some of that stuff.

Some love theory, some hate it whilst others get caught up in the trap of thinking Theory makes Good Music. Quite simply is doesn't.

Many experienced players are just rambling around established traditional, culturally biased ideas that shape genres.

There some much you could argue about but it's a waste of time.

You ain't born with a "Grade 1 Piano Book" However if you want to further your knowledge of theory then it's logical to go and talk to "musos" who dedicated their time to this stuff or read a few basic books and familiarize yourself with which bits u found useful. That imo gives you as a musician a personal sound which again is hugely important. Others will disagree.

So is it important? For some yes, For others not at all. Do you need it to make great music NO!

Simple answer there are no rules so go spend more time playing & writing rather than arguing about what everyone must know to make good music. An opinion such as that is both snobby and a little misguded imho.

Most importantly, have fun, work towards your goals in whatever suits yourself and always remember there are no rules and what works for one can completely destroy any sense of musicality in those who see theory as a precursor for "Great/acceptable" Music.

Example Sex Pistols. Any theory based ideas formulated before they wrote the track. IMO, not many :rofl:

Great music, IMHO hell yes. Each to their own,

Peace

19. foster911

foster911 Guest

Music Theory Vs. Turning the knobs

Who needs Music Theory? No one because its learning and using consume calorie.

Who needs turning the knobs in the DAWs? Everyone because it saves calorie and is more delightful and efficient.

Periods and eras of Western music

(1) Early
    Medieval c. 500–1400
    Renaissance c. 1400–1600

(2) Common practice
    Baroque c. 1600–1760
    Classical c. 1730–1820
    Romantic c. 1780–1910
    Impressionist c. 1875–1925

(3) Modern and contemporary
    Modern High modern c. 1890–1975
    20th-century (1900–2000)
    Contemporary Postmodern c. 1975–present

(4) 21st-century DAWs era

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
  20. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Any chance of a male bovine excrement detector button?

Who needs to learn how to type when there's copy and paste?

What's the most important thing. Now think on this; What came first, the music or the theory!

ffs stfu and go and do what came first.