Who Needs Music Theory?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Zenarcist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A sensible view IMO.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I wasn't totally focused on the video so I might have missed something but I am not sure that he "helped" much.

Seems like he left the door open for the usual "theory tells you what to do" idea and did nothing for the "theory can be used like a personal roadmap" side of things.

Again, I wasn't paying attention in some spots so I might have missed it.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

music theory has to become something, which you have to apply on a subconsiousness level, when you play some chords and some chords, you have to hear if they work together or not.
    something you can easily gain, when you start playing music pieces, do it over and over and it will rpogram you in the rules of music theory, its the easier way to understand it as to sit down and read books about music theory.

my flash is broken, cant play the video, but that a my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. timer

timer Producer

IMHO you can play music without understanding theory but you can't really understand theory without playing music.

That said, in ancient times music theory was part of the liberal arts and much higher regarded than actually playing music.

(Disclaimer: I did not watch the video and therefore have no idea if my post is on topic.)

6. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. farao

farao Rock Star

"Who needs music theory?"

Everyone interested in playing music needs music theory to some extent. How much depends on your aspirations.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

There must be a reason why the only people who vote against theory are always the one who don't really understand it's purpose or what it really is.

Sadly, they feel the need to validate and spread their ignorance by making it sound like "feel vs theory", as if you are composing from a recipe if you understand theory. Well, it's pretty much the opposite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Young people are raw and ignorant at first when they come into this music section of life they think they could do everything in one night people there is gap between, if you know the music theory ohhh baby, your creativity + knowledge theory = success :thumbsup:
    So am with music theory but do not limit your self with theory! at the end it's music no borders :rofl:

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I would argue that producers and songwriters need theory more than guitarists, but like that guy says in the video it all depends on where you are going. I liked his physics analogy too.

11. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Everybody should learn music theory. You could compare it to trying to be a great writer who can't read. It can be done but it makes it that much harder to communicate with other musicians. Music came first (we are talking common practice period), then rules where written to explain what composer's where doing. You can go through and analyze Bach's 371 chorales and find every rule being broken. The music always comes first.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I have a strange situation, when I play keyboards I use a lot of theory, but when I play guitar it's usually by ear!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Not having a mental map for sounds (some sort of theory) is like being a driver in a foreign country without a map.

You can draw the map yourself (some sort of theory) or get one (theory again) and mark the spots where you've been and/or need to go. Ultimately, the map DOES NOT tell you where to go, it only shows the way and gives you the big picture at the same time.

It's all about knowing your options vs constant trial and error.

14. julianbre

julianbre Producer

That's a very good analogy kouros! Music theory can give you a map to your destination (good music) ex: ii-V-I or ii-I but it still is up to you which route you want to take.

15. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Not only that but also you can consciously go where you haven't been before, try new things and figure out where and when you would use them. It's up to you wether you want to have a library of sounds and concepts in your mind or never get past "familiar feelings" on your fingers.

16. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I think learn theory is a good thing,learn theory at the beginning of playing music is the best way to make "good music" if you don't have "THE" musical ear or didn't have any musical education in your childhood,like me.I spent a lot of time playing music without any theory and it was the the most stupid thing I did since I make music.

17. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

L.A. and Nashville

18. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Theory without "the musical ear" is like having a map but nowhere to go.

That's the fuel for the "no theory" mob. :rofl:

Seriously, the ear is part of why you use theory, they work togheter. You hear something in your head and you know how it tranlsates to pitches. Otherwise, you're toying around with maths.

19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Agree and disagree. In jazz guitar you need theory others styles also, but some theory is good for all. I liked the video. thanks for the share.

20. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Everybody that making music DUH!!

21. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I can't think of any other field besides music where people will actually be "anti- knowing about it".