Who mixed this?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Banz, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Banz

Banz Ultrasonic

Anyone knows who mixed this?

Allmusic shows mixers, but anyone knows who exacly was?

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Mixed an co-produced by Jay Newland.

4. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Banz

Banz Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

hmmmm. somebody is mistaken.

i went to the official grammy awards website: https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/45th-annual-grammy-awards-2002

here's what it says:

RECORD OF THE YEAR

Facebook Twitter Email
    WINNER
    [​IMG]
    Don't Know Why
    Norah Jones

Norah Jones, Arif Mardin & Jay Newland, producers; Jay Newland, engineer/mixer

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

That's the kind of song that almost gets mixed in the recording phase. Nice clean arrangement, everything goes down sounding real good; I bet at the end he just about only had to push the faders up, draw a little envelope here or there for anything that jumped out and done! I got lucky and had one like that last week. Faders up, two dips on two words on the vocal, export.

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

• This song was written in 1999 by a songwriter and guitarist named Jesse Harris. A few weeks after he wrote it, he recorded it with a violinist and released it under the name Jesse Harris and The Ferdinandos. He sold the album on his web site.

• Harris knew Jones because they were both musicians in New York City, but he didn't have Jones in mind to sing this because she was a Jazz singer. When he joined Jones' band in 2000, he considered using a female voice on the song and offered it to Jones. She changed the key to fit her voice and added a drum beat. She still thought of it as just a demo, but it got the attention of an executive at Blue Note Records, who offered her a record deal. Harris wrote four other songs on the album as well.

• This was recorded as a demo in one take in October 2000. Harris played guitar and almost stopped the take because he didn't like the mix in his headphones. He kept going and was glad he did, since that was the keeper. Jones and her band were willing to do another take, but the engineer, Jay Newland, thought it was perfect and wouldn't let them. They did try some more takes in another session, but the results were too convoluted, and Jones was assigned to a different producer, Arif Mardin. He had worked with many famous artists, including Aretha Franklin, and was brought in to capture Jones' distinctive sound. He did this by keeping the original demo take and adding some guitar and a vocal harmony, which made Jones harmonize with herself.

• Jay Newland, who engineered the recording, said he was trying to make this sound like the records he grew up listening to in the late '60s and early '70s, especially Joni Mitchell.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/norah-jones/dont-know-why

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  9. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

just can't trust anyone these days. lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List