Who Do You Think Needs More Exposure?

Discussion in 'Music' started by MrAnonymous, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Shout out to Dimension Flux who I'm proud to have as part of AudioSex. These guys rock! [​IMG]:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8TXFGiby0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-lrjiIFBc

PS I could probably list every band I listen to and it would be perfect for this thread. :rofl:

4. manducator

manducator Member

I really like to listen to free music. Here are some labels/artists that make free music and deserve a lot of downloads:

Rock/Shoegaze:

https://aphobic.bandcamp.com/

Darkwave/synthpop:

http://krachtekelektronik.com/music.php

Goatrance:

http://www.luk-si.cz/cs/releasy/

All is free and there is so much more!!

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

And I also have to say Rolma. Why? Because she's got a lot of unique talent and she's AudioSexy to the bone. You should see her shopping outfit. :rofl:

http://soundcloud.com/rolma/ner-0

Great thread btw. :mates:

6. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

For me, None :bleh: :bleh:

But hey, is just my humble opinion, I don't know anything about music. :mates:

7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

You know who needs more exposure...

People who push music to the next level. Not create regurgitated crap...

Think >= 2015 , think new... push the envelope and do some good research into what makes great music...

Just like how people who draw will tell you that you need to research and practice hard before you can get good results, so must you when making music...

It's easy to do something that's been done a million times... find your space, find your own musical sound... stop focusing on trying to make people dance, focus more on your own composition, engineering and artistic skills. Develop yourself as a proper musical artist.

8. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Sorry, dont like any of them, all sounds like music by numbers nowadays. Damm i'm sick of modern music, everything is over produced and so repetetive and formulaic.

I find myself listening mainly to stuff from the 60, 70 and 80's now. Everything was new then and exciting. Music seemed much more raw and primal, music had dynamic range, there was space in a production to listen to individual instruments. Now no dynamic range and every little gap in the frequency range has to be filled in, theres no space to surround a sound so it stands out from a mix.

I guess thats just what living with music for 50 odd years will do to a person, i'm jaded and fed up, sorry.

9. willdathrill

willdathrill Producer

I got one for everybody, the Team who all made the Audiosex Album.. Everyone did a wonderful Job on it. Wooohooo...

10. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vshqf1nAilw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bp-kNsLEiA

11. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

If you really want exposure you gotta do it yourself and go out there into the real world.

Work hard to meet-up and be around musicians and other artists, get in touch, connect!

Just like how there is no real 'make money fast' method there is also no real 'internet will get you popularity' method...

You gotta work for it.

That's why in the end, pirating plugins and such isn't really going to help you, because you're going to eventually end up having
    to go out there and work your way up into it anyway...so you might as well make the money to get you the stuff you need...

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Everyone
    This isn't a thread for whining about how music is formulaic these days...to you (important distinction). Give us a break, there's a lot of music out there and to simply write all of it off is ridiculously short-sighted. Some artists might be formulaic and some are amazing, it depends on what you listen to. Music is only as formulaic as your listening interests. *yes* It's not better or worse, it's just different. If all I listened to was music from the 60s to 80s I'd shoot myself in the face because I'd be missing out on A LOT of good music. The thread isn't titled do you think music is formulaic these days. [​IMG]

13. Willum

Willum Rock Star

The names Willum, if you're gonna talk about and quote most of the points in my post, at least have the courtesy to get my name right.

I'm sorry, since when did having an opinion count as whining and really, dance music isn't formulaic nowadays? Take a look at the tutorials from sonic academy or dancemusicproduction or any other tutorials company, they teach you to use a specific formula for each genre or subgenre of dance. Deviate by a couple of bpm and you slip from one genre into another, each having so many beats for the intro, for the riser, for the drop, etc, etc.

Again, its my opinion, you might disagree with it but insulting me isn't what i would have expected from you. Yes, there is a lot of music out there and i'm sure that a lot of it is brilliantly produced by lovely people who really believe in what they are doing. But none of what i can find inspires me in the way that the first time i heard Richie Havens, Santana, Joe Satriani, Chicane, Public Enemy, NWA, The Orb, New Order, Underworld, Steely Dan and even the Sex Pistols did the first time i heard them.

Well if its formulaic, then no, its not "just different" its the bloody same, which i think was my point!

You would also be missing out on some the BEST music ever made if you ignore the 60's to the 80's.

I know what the thread title was and my response was to that. The OP asked "Who Do You Think Needs More Exposure" and offered up some possible contendors, i replied that i didn't like the music he put forward and gave my reasons. None of which was outside of the thread context.

Instead of just trying to shut me up, why dont you tell us what dance tracks inspire you and why? Then maybe you can get me listening to some good music that will in turn inspire me.

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I used Everyone in my response because you weren't the only one that made this comment and it's wearing on me because I hear it all the time. Just because you think it's formulaic, doesn't make it so. This is a thread to give deserving artists more publicity. If you feel that there is a deserving artist that wasn't mentioned then by all means add one but to take this thread into the usual "contemporary music sucks" direction isn't helping and that is exactly what this thread is becoming because now we're discussing the merits of contemporary music and not the original point. I'm not discounting anything, I listen to PLENTY of music from all time periods but I also don't think that that period of time is the end all. As if after the 60s - 80s no more good music was ever made. If you can't think of a single artist after that time period that is worthy of being up here then I don't know what to tell you except that I completely disagree. I'm not gonna sit here and prove it to you because you already think that way so why should I bother trying to change your mind? It seems you've already made it up.

15. jamzprod

jamzprod Noisemaker

Billboard

https://soundcloud.com/billboardmatt/billboard-s-h-a-p-e-s

16. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

"Formulaic" music was in the 60's 80's too. Like Abba, made with a LOT of production tips. They even created the "pop sound", to me. Great songs anyway :wink:

I listen to 70's prog rock, sometimes. I love first Dream Theater albums and don't care about 3/4 of their last discog releases :rofl:
    I listen to industrial, hip hop, (quality) dubstep, psy/goa trance, metal, shoegaze, goth, rock, pop...and a lot more.

Like Cat said, if you limit your vision, you just blind yourself. Simple as that. You don't need to listen to radio/TV EDM/RnB and such.

And about exposure subject, a lot of ppl are making good music. Be real : you just need luck sometimes. Modest ppl know it. Others are just inflating their ego, and buying fame by investing money to get exposure (like buying fake "likes").

If making good music, working hard and touring were just the only mandatory conditions, Radiohead would be more well known than most crap trap/EDM/RnB/hiphop/dubstep/younamewhat artists.

A band, totally missed in the past. Now, some metal bands use similar structures almost 20 years later. Another example of missed exposure... (PS : you like guitar ? Check 2:55 :wink: )

17. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Yea, verily!

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Willum might have a good point (which I don't agree with) but not for this thread which has now lost all meaning because it's become a commentary on how contemporary music sucks instead of a thread promoting artists. Why is it that people always have to make a comment that is anything but responding to the topic title? Somehow I don't seem to have a problem finding great things to listen to. I think you guys just romanticize music from "the good old days" so in a sense you've become what you probably hated in your parents. Sure music has changed a lot but to say that there is no good music anymore is bs. How quickly people forget just how unoriginal the 80s were and how most bands existed by copying well known acts of the day. The only thing that's changed are the timbres. And just like there was great music then, there's great music now. Maybe it's not so much mainstream but it's there and you just have to dig deeper because there's more of it. HKs comment about not focusing on making people dance makes no sense to me. As if every artist is making dance music. What a blanket statement.

19. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I think people took my comments waaay too seriously or just misunderstood completely. But that's my fault cuz it wasn't really backed up with the context that I was referring to.

If there is anyone that knows a thing or two about artist that need exposure, or the appreciation of innovative sounds through the ages, I can be your ambassador
    for that. The amount of different genres and sounds that I've listened to I've learnt to grow and appreciate as well as study all of it...

I know plenty of artists that can always use exposure. And trust me there are 100000000000 of artists out there right now and in the past that can definately do with more exposure.

But that's exactly my point. THERE ARE TONNES! And tonnes of really good ones...

What I was trying to say is if you do have a really next level sound that needs exposure, that's seperate from what is popular out there right now, and you really want to get it out there, it is genuinely hard work. And it always has been.

Catalyst what I meant by the comment of 'stop focusing on trying to make people dance', I was mainly referring to Electronic Music in which most people, even producers, think it's just all about clubs and making people dance. I was actually helping the point you just mentioned of 'As if every artist is making dance music'.

My comments were with the intention of providing some perspective to other artists out there that really want to get into electronic music but they have a generalised or poorly educated perspective due to the way it is commonly advertised...they weren't blanket comments...

But yes, this thread isn't really about arguing about these things... if I knew people were going to go nuts over my opinion I wouldn't have posted...thought everyone knew my personality by now lol...

20. manducator

manducator Member

Back on track:

Fantastic Techno EP:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/vythica-dod-kalm

21. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Another great band with a great message that deserves some more exposure IMHO

http://www.onepossibleoption.com/