Who Are Your Top 5 Favorite Singer/Songwriters?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lois Lane, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

A tough call for sure and not in any order

1. Chris Cornell

2.David Bowie

3. Janis Joplin (I choose this video because she's up there at the high echelon of of Tom Jones and is at her very best)

4. Amy Winehouse

5. Thom York

3. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Chris Cornell at number 1 deserves my respect. There's really only a few I'd put there and he's definitely among them.

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

pssh, i listen to so much shit dude, no way in hell

i have been really into Jessica Pratt lately though, her voice is just amazing, like the tone of it; its like retro but fresh sounding and distinct - she has a lot of style too - its like psychedelic but classy

shes really unto something dope, id like to hear how she expands her sound, it really captures the essence of psychedelic folk in such a great way with the work she has out now tough - shes stylish as fuck

----------------------​
    i also really like Elliott Smith, i learned a lot from him, he also has so much style thats very distinct and has a great sense of melody. hes also a fantastic guitar player, the fingerstyle polyrhythms he does sometimes can be pretty complex while singing; i use to think he had guitar layers on some parts, till i saw footy of him live on youtube. plus the breathe control, sustaining that controlled volume, he still get across a lot of feeling in his vocals

like this song is just amazing songwriting; its about teaching someone how to become an alcoholic. its so dark and intimate; but loving and warm, with like this intoxicating feeling. so much intention and feeling with a great melody

then he has a great use of imagery and paints these like really unique pictures from an interesting perspective. like the metaphor with drug addiction and the moon is fantastic; and this perspective is just entertaining to me; which is key in songwriting, a lot of amateur songwriter just dont have interesting perspectives ive found, which hold them back

but then he understands energy really well too, he can get super dark; to pretty bright songs without falling into cheesiness

--------------------​
    i also really love Jimi Hendrix, of course hes like crazy talented on the guitar but his lyrics are really cool; i also love his stage presence and overall confidence in his songwriting, he also has a lot of style - people usually just admire his guitar playing but hes a great songwriter and his own singing style that mixes talking and ad libs seemlessly, all while playing these playing like broken chord patterns. his lyrics has liike this mystic approach thats so dope

like thats such a dope lyric, he has tons of shit like that; then the way he structures songs leaves room for him improvise around the core of it and get in and out of it easily

like this song is a just flex, hes talking about how hes magical and then just rips on guitar in a sublime way like hes a force of nature; so much style and personality in his songwriting

------------------------
    idk who else, this is just off the top with not a lot of thought some of my favorites - to get it down to just five though, idk how you do it

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
  5. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

椎名林檎:

David Byrne:

Rod Argent:

Leonard Cohen:

Paul McCartney:

Bob Dylan:

David Bowie:

佐藤伸治:

Jeff Mangum, Brian Wilson, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Beth Gibbons, Jónsi, Jeff Buckely, Jason Molina, Sufjan Stevens, Stevie Wonder, Elliot Smith...there are so many more that I love, I could go on forever...I don't know if this classify as Singer Songwriter tag but Schubert's Winterreise, classical Operas, there's endless good stuff. Anyway enjoy the select few I linked.