White noise pan sweep thing

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by freefeet12, Nov 21, 2015.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Yes, I suck this much. I can get some basic white noise sweeps that pan in sylenth but I can't figure out something more specific. Ala http://www.pond5.com/sound-effect/24656127/fast-moving-high-pitch-whoosh-x4.html

I'd like to have one like the above, about that length, wait a sec or two, followed by two shorter ones that pan left right or vice versa quickly.

If anyone can help a newb, thanks. :facepalm:

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are looking for the Doppler Effect, same thing that happens when ambulance/police with sirens approach you and then drives past (the tone is first higher and then lower (aswell as panned) due to shortening and lengthening of the wavelength=pitch). Just like the stars that are the farthest away from use have different color due to the fact that they are moving away faster from us (along with the expansion of the universe).

Waves has Doppler effect plugin, but you can create your own Doppler effect with the use of pitch envelopes and panning automation. You can even do this with simple and fast bandpass sweep (on white noise) + fast panning.

Here's a free Doppler Effect (I haven't actually tried this one, but I'm pretty sure it should work as it's supposed to):
    http://aegeanmusic.com/doppler-dome-Specs

And here's the commercial Waves Doppler:
    http://www.waves.com/plugins/doppler

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Thanks Baxter! That gets me a lot closer. I can get one, lets just call it a long quick sweep moving nice with the doppler, very different from just using an lfo to pan in Sylenth, but how do I go about having two short quick sweeps to follow? 2 instances? or is there a all in one solution?

Can't believe I didn't have a plug like this. Killer. Well I did have the waves one just never installed it. Went ahead and got the free one too. :beg:

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can make this with simple envelopes too. White noise osc.
    1) you can make a "whip" with bandpass filter and an envelope (some attack and some decay, no sustain) controlling cutoff. So the filter cutoff is starting low, opening up and then closing again. Quite fast.
    2) envelope controlling panning (some attack and full sustain, so that it goes from one side to the other).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I went ahead and went with Massive on this. It's more what I want in terms of control and sound. I haven't put it in practice yet, time allowing, but I can already imagine what I have to do to get the exact effect I want.

So, thanks again Baxter.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can pretty much take any synth, as long as you know how to shape the sound with filters, envelopes, etc. It's pretty simple actually, once you wrap your head around it. Keep working!

Here, I made a quick preset in Sylenth1 for you to figure out:
    http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/BIYw4cqf/file.html

8. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Yes, modulation is key. Using it effectively opens up doorways for sound design on any synth. I prefer to do as much of the "completed sound" as I can while still working only in the synth. I would use an envelope to do the panning and control the filter the same way. My 2 cents.

9. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Oh yeah Baxter, yours is better than my attempt. Cleaner for one. You used a different filter type, cranked the rez w/no cutoff on the FC. I used some cutoff and no rez. Shaped your env different than me, as well as adding attack to mod env 1. I didn't. Then finally used an env for the panning where I tried an lfo. A little icing on the mod wheel.

Guess I got a lot to learn still when it comes to making sounds from scratch. I've always been a lazy preset tweaker. Didn't learn anything that way. Your patch has helped me already because it's something I wrap my head around. Plus just moving around the env shapes as well as moving the cutoff are eye opening.

Good stuff. Thanks, yet again.

Army, that's my plan but I'm not sure sylenth can do that. I maybe totally wrong but I think I need something with two env stages+. That idea is to have one whoosh followed by two shorter whooshes. The longer one travels say, left to right, where as the two shorter ones travel to opposite of each other quickly. Creating something like Whoosh(l2r) _ _ _ _ whoosh(r2l)_whoosh(l2r) if that makes any sense. :bleh: